1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dear Jeremy Lin,

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Nov 1, 2012.

1. slickster

slickster Member

The situation is not looking good at all.

2. kinein

kinein Member

LOL NONO.

[​IMG]

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Again, still playing too passive and deferring way too much. I understand that he has to execute plays, set up the offense and other teammates and all but less than 10 attempts per game so far this season for someone who at the least, the 2nd option of this team on offense is just plain unacceptable.

I'm not asking for a linsanity 2.0 but at this rate he's playing like a role player point guard type ala mario chalmers who has 3 superstars and a bunch of former all stars to defer to.

Playing with no killer instinct and desire to take over basketball games. This has got to change.

4. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Lin needs to see a sports psychologist soon, because its starting to get into his head like A-Rod style....

5. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

Lin himself said he forgot trying to please everyone, play safe and not make mistakes (in Golden State) and play his game in NY - the result Linsanity

WTF happened to that? He is now trying to please others again...

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

It's really disappointing. Honestly, i wouldn't even mind if takes more shots than Harden at this point. Just anything that resembles the motor, desire, and guts he showed last season.

Again, where's the variety of ways that made him so effective? Mid range pull up J's off of picks, floaters, teardrops, spin moves etc.

He's just basically doing two things right now.. spot up threes or force his way to the paint and challenge the defenders off of high degree of difficulty layups and resorts to bail out passes to avoid getting blocked which results into turnovers.

The way he's balling right now is more of like.. i want to play in control and lessen my turnovers and defer to my teammates. Rather than, be aggressive and attack the defense with variety of ways to score and create more open looks for my team at the same time.

7. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

8. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

+1 I can only guess that Lin is executing the coach's instructions. Unfortunately, the Rockets don't have the best coaching (at least on offense--their defense seems ok, until the coach forgot to put in defensive rebounding on Wade's second free throw, which was moronic). Lin also tried to execute Keith Smart's instructions in GS, which were to hand off the ball to Monta Ellis on every play. That did NOT work.

Fortunately, Lin is still playing great defense, rebounding, and getting to loose balls. People are seeing how good Lin is on defense, as he blocked Wade and did not get scored on by Lebron, also shut down Gallo. He is a top tier defender.

9. slickster

slickster Member

Any other player with rep would be going apesh#t right now with his under-utilization.

But JLin doesn't have that type of mentality. He's just too damn respectful for his own and the team's own good. Coaches are used to dealing with titanic egos, and are paid to deal with that; JLin has a guaranteed deal and could politely and respectfully point out the obvious and have his input heard.

This team needs a coach who can exploit the most dynamic backcourt in the league, long term. mchale and sampson are not the ones.

1 person likes this.
  10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Jeremy doesn't have much variety to his offense. Like most PG's Jeremy can shoot the 3 and also attack the rim. These are the two basic ways a PG scores. Jeremy never had a midrange game where he could pull up and drain 18 footers.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

I think your mistaken on this or do you mean this season or last season? Cause last season he had a variety of offensive moves.

Anyway, John Hollinger predicted all of this in the off season & I am not surprised that his predictions are right. Teams know that he can score the ball so they will make it harder for him to do it & good defensive teams have been successful thus far. That is why they should put the ball in his hands & let him facilitate & pass.

12. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Agree, Lin has an excellent midrange game. I do not know why he is not shooting the 15-20 footers like last year. He also has good runners and turnaround/post-ups (he finally shot one against the Heat that just rattled out). I can only guess that the coaches want him to take only 3-pointers or hard drives all the way in.

13. zdrav

zdrav Member

"Rep"? I don't think Jeremy Lin has "rep" in the sense that he could bully his way around a team a la Melo or Dwight.

And he does have a guaranteed deal, so he's in it for the long haul. No need to blow your fuse after just 7 games.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yeah. It seems like the coaches wants everyone to take mostly highly efficient shots, corner 3's & drives to the rim. Floaters all though they are pretty don't get you to the FT line frankly.

15. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

I don't care how many shots he takes. It will be less than Harden obviously.

But why can't he... handle the ball?

If you want a PG to pass the ball to Harden and camp at the 3, you could have had Derek Fisher for the vet minimum.

Did Les/Morey really pay $8mil/yr for this?

Let the PG handle the ball. :mad: :mad: :mad:

16. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

So much about Clutch's new thread about making smarter choices on creating new threads.

Anyway, Lin has been good with running the team. He has a tough time getting to the basket and that can be all sorts of reasons. But he will get better as the season progresses. But I much rather Lin play the whole 48 minutes than see Toney Douglas running the team..

17. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Exactly my point. Lin is playing like a role player type of point guard with this new role he has on this team. Hence, less than 10 field goal attempts per game.

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

You do realize that this team is one of the youngest team in the NBA. They are incredibly young and still has a lot to learn. Lin and Harden both take turns handling the ball mainly because that's what the coaches want them to do. Right now, Harden is this team's best player, so they just got into a habit of just giving Harden the ball and get stuck in that watch mode sometimes.

The coaches need to start running plays for this team. I would want to see Lin run the ball up the court with Harden running off 2 screens, first screen with Pat, 2nd screen with Asik, for a better open look or more space to create a shot for himself or someone else. That's much better than Lin and Harden both take turns playing P&R and ISO the entire game.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Jeremy Lin took just 8 shots against Miami. Eight! And oh yeah, 6 of those were from beyond the three point line.

He has attempted a total of 34 field goals (17 of those from from beyond the arc or 50%) in the past 4 games for an average of 8.5 attempts per game. Not liking this trend one bit.

20. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Bottomline is Lin is being misused. He is basically being used as a SG. And sorry to say, the quality of players compared to his stint in NY is really subpar. Some do not know to set proper screens and/or reject requests by Lin for screens. Second, since Lin is now basically being used as a spot up 3 pt shooter, I don't think he will ever be able to get into rythm with his shots. Very sad.