1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deandre Jordan Very Interested in playing for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm not saying this is not possible, but let's say i have to see it before i believe it.

chinesemamba likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

This.

If he's willing to come for ~$34M-$35M over 4 years(non-taxpayer) ~$21M-22M over 4 years(taxpayer), great. If not, there's no further conversation to be had. Rockets can't just hand him $18M or $20M (per year). And the Clippers aren't taking Ryan Anderson back.

**Assuming they don't have to use the MLE on Luc Mbah a Moute, which they might have to.

If Houston operates over the salary cap this summer (very likely given the cap holds of free agents the team would like to bring back), the Rockets will have access to the Mid-Level Exception (MLE), either the Non-Taxpayer variety ($8.57 million, the use of which would impose a hard cap at the “apron” level – currently projected at about $129 million) or the Taxpayer variety ($5.29 million).

The Rockets might need to throw most or all of the Taxpayer MLE at Luc in order to keep him. Houston will be hoping to convince Mbah a Moute to take less to remain a valuable piece of a contender.

Vivi likes this.
  3. marky :)

marky :) Member

Idk. This just says to me is that DJ wanted to fight some of his own teammates but couldn't.

DJ takes a massive pay cut so he can fight Austin Rivers. That seems more like a likely reason.

khanhdum and Vivi like this.
  4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Clippers Out: DJ + (Boban, milos, Wes, Bev - $28m expiring with Bev on $5 Team Option)
    Clippers In: Capela (S&T $24m + Ryno + Rockets ‘19 1st.

Cavs Out: LBJ
    Cavs In: $23m in expirings + $5m in TO salary that can be exercised immediately + Rockets ‘21 1st (‘23 lottery protect 1st if need be) + Nene for salary purposes

Rockets Out: Capela (S&T $24m + Ryno + Nene + ‘19, ‘21 & possibly ‘23 1st lotto protected)
    Rockets In: LBJ + DJ

Clippers are losing DJ no matter what (whether he goes to Houston or not). They lock up young talent with Capela and get a 1st rounder too to take Ryno and lose fringe players on the last year of their deal.

#124 Rox>Mavs, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  5. pageC4

pageC4 Member

Hey all, long time Clippers fan here. I have been a season ticket holder for over five years and a fan for over 17. That has given me the opportunity to watch Deandre Jordan and Chris Paul for a good portion of their careers (with regards to DJ-I've seen every year). As for DJ, trading Capella for DJ straight up would be a massive downgrade on your part. DJ seems to reap the benefits of ESPN highlights where he will come up with a block that swats the ball into the Pacific Ocean, so people mistakenly assume DJ is an elite defender. What most fans don't see is 99% of DJ where he loses his man and allows easy buckets. The only reason you guys should even entertain acquiring DJ is if you lose Capella to a higher bidder. If that happens, the Rockets still need to try and make DJ take less. DJ is not worth $24 million, and giving him such an absurd amount of money will limit what you have available for other roster spots.

6. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

It doesn't matter. We need Lebron then whomever.

7. mockster

mockster Member

If we lose capela and he comes cheap then yes. Otherwise hard pass

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Obviously the Morey master plan is to trade Ryno, Nene, Black and 2 1sts for LeBron. Match Capela, resign Ariza with bird rights and Luc with non bird rights. That shoulder injury will have other teams reluctant. DJ is bought out and paid with non taxpayer MLE. Green is back with non bird rights as well.

Paul/Gordon
    Harden/Green
    Ariza/Luc
    LBJ/Tucker
    Capela/DJ

All your luxury tax and rings belong to us!

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You're missing one important point;

In a sign and trade where the player is getting a raise of 20% or more over their old salary, then that player is under the same rules as the previous CBA's Base Year Compensation players. In other words, for the purpose of your proposed trade, Capela would count $24M towards the Clippers incoming salary but he would only count half that amount ($12M) in outgoing salary for the Rockets.

Under your scenario, Houston would be receiving $53.5M in incoming salary (this is best case assuming that you are trading for Lebron's current salary). For salary matching purposes we'd have to be sending out $42.8M. Because of Capela's BYC designation, Capela, Anderson and Nene only count as $34.9M in salary. That means that you're almost $8M short for salary matching purposes.

I won't even go into the probability that LAC would trade DJ, Beverley and Teodosic for Capela and still be willing to take on $40M in remaining salary for Anderson.

Corrosion and saleem like this.
  10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Sure, if he wants to opt out of his 24mil player-option and sign a 3 years 30mil deal. Doubt it tho, we just can't afford to pay him the money he wants since we're trying to acquire Lebron.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

so his age automatically says no. great logic.

nah it doesnt work that way

#131 YOLO, Jun 8, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

A defensive center that many seem to want to believe is elite can't even average a block anymore. People absolutely do look at espn highlights or Instagram and blow it out of proportion of whats really happening in an entire game on a nightly bases.

#132 YOLO, Jun 8, 2018
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You're seriously comparing Capela to Parsons? Really? And Capela is "just a good NBA center?" Uh, OK. You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but I disagree with you. I disagree a whole bunch. I disagree both about the "Parsons Comparison," and certainly with your description of Capela as a center.

bulkatron likes this.
  14. Stepping Razor

What does I.D.I.O.T. mean?

ryano2009 and hakeem94 like this.
  15. bmd

bmd Member

No, his age combined with what we can see with our own eyes. You clearly have a bias here, otherwise you wouldn’t have posted as much as you have in this thread and with as much zeal.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

your own eyes are deceiving you then if you dont see how much DJ has slowed down compared to years previously. Couldn't care less if you if think its bias or not. I think its still ridiculous theres some people like you who think DJ is better than CC. its 2018 not 2016 or before. and your basis is you keep bringing up hes 29. :rolleyes:

i wouldn't be surprised if you still thought teams can't win a championship shooting mainly jumpers

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

It deserves it's own thread.

ryano2009, saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Stepping Razor

Thank you for the clarification. I've been seeing it on CF for months and was getting frustrated for lack of knowledge!

ryano2009 likes this.
  19. bmd

bmd Member

I wouldn’t want to swap Capela for Jordan straight up... but if Capela can be used in a trade to acquire one of the big free agents like LeBron or Paul George, I’d be more than happy with DeAndre Jordan as a replacement for Capela.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That is the hardest part. Capela would have to agree to go Cleveland. I'm not counting OKC because of Adams. DeAndre would still have to opt out if that happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.