1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Jordan anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scolalist, Apr 8, 2011.

1. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I've said it before... if Morey brings in DeAndre Jordan, Adelman better not be here. DJ won't get much PT with Adelman coaching the team.

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Front court or backcourt I really dont care but you know what i mean

3. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yep, me too. I think that they could play very well next to each other.

4. Htown's2kFinest

Great shotblocker and rebounder. Plus every bit as athletic as Dwight Howard? Sign me in.

5. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

That is a bit harsh. His BB IQ isn't the best, but comparing him to Kwame Brown is just dumb. Brown couldn't couldn't catch a cold, and Jordan will take control of anything within his massive wingspan.

Tyson Chandler is a perfectly reasonable comparsion when projecting Jordans future stat sheet. If Jordan can stay healthy, unlike Chandler, there's no reason to believe he won't have a better career. Especially if he was paired with an actualy PG. Something LAC has been devoid of for years now.

The dudes FT shooting is pathetic. I don't think he's ever shot over 50% from the line. To have real life, young, NBA sized center in our rotation again, that's a flaw I can live with.

6. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I like deandre jordan, but don't get it twisted. he's not a c. he's a pf. Do yall want to end up like the Hawks with an elite PF playing non-elite ball at the center position?

I mean, he can play center during the regular season but I guarantee come playoffs, any team starting DA at center against another team w/ true a center like the lakers (bynum), magic (d how), dallas (chandler), and now OKC (perkins) would get destroyed. Even non playoff teams like the bucks (bogut).

Hope daryl doesn't bite on this if he becomes available. Much rather have someone like Nene, Fresenko, or Chandler.

7. Nook

Nook Member

He has absolutely no offensive ability beyond dunking. He is immature, lazy and has a low basketball IQ. Many of his flaws cannot be fixed. People look at his high blocked shot rate and solid rebound numbers and assume he is a promising player.... the reality is that he is a poor defender.

8. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I agree with you overall assessment of him Jordan, but Kyrylo Fesenko is a stiff.

Chandler might only be 28, but in basketball years he's on the back end of his MLE level career. That's just asking for another Rockets season to be unraveled by injury.

Nene is solid as hell though. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The thing is, you are not being realistic. Over here, you've assumed the WORST case scenario:

- Flexibility TOTALLY gone.
    - DJ doesn't live up to expectations i.e. Cato
    - DJ can only block shots and Thabeet can take his place

That's insane. The reality is you are saying everything about him that people said about Tyson Chandler earlier in his career.

Yes, he's never going to be a scorer. Yes his attitude needs to improve.

But the reality of it is that a person who averages 10/10/3 per 40 minutes, and is able to stay on the court without fouling out for 30 minutes is extremely valuable.

We have the atmosphere to help this guy develop with CD, Yao and Hayes in the picture.

8m per season is nothing. Morey does not value big men correctly IMO. Brad Miller signed for peanuts. He has said continuously he doesn't want to pay for a tall stiff vs a short player. That's fine, as long as it factors in that sometimes height = $$$ in this league for a reason.

This is one of the players you take a chance on, and if it goes wrong you live with it. You can maintain flexibility forever, but at some point when luck doesn't go your way (Bosh, Melo) you have to take risks. This is a risk worth taking IMO.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

All of this for DeAndre Jordan are you serious right now?

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why bring up offense? Everyone knows he won't bring offense - we are a top 3-5 offensive team, that's the last of our needs.

He has shown signs of being immature, lazy and having a low bball IQ. He's also just a KID with the Clippers. He needs to be developed.

Why can't his flaws be fixed? Were they not fixed with Chandler? Perkins? Are we not trying with Thabeet? Mcgee? Dampier?

Your last statement makes zero sense.

You look at his rebounding and shotblocking numbers. You look at his age. You look at his size. You look at his athleticism. You look at his poor footwork and positioning. You look at the poor mechanics in his jumper. You look at his attitude.

The reality is that he's a poor team defender and can't score much, but you would have to be insane to say he doesn't have huge upside.

It is a risk, but there's huge upside and IMO it's a risk worth taking. He could develop into an excellent player.

12. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

kyrylo might be a stiff, but he's a huge stiff.

no homo or pun intended.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Al Horford is an elite Center and he can get away with playing Center it's just the problem is Josh Smith is an undersized PF to me.

I'd rather have DeAndre Jordan playing Center over Chuck Hayes is the price is right.

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Yea, that's a joke. No reason to throw Bud in there.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You would be paying 10 million for a guy that would never beat out Chuck Hayes as the starting C. You would be far better off paying a guy like Kwame Brown (A far superior defender) the minimum, so you could keep your options open for 2012.

Now, If you could get him for 4-5-6 million, that's when you begin to think about his upside.

Case in point, Clippers will match at that price.

16. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

Well Shaud, I guess I'm just going to have to respectfully disagree w/ you on that one man. IMO Smith is a great PF w/ poor shot selection and low BB IQ. No doubt along with JC and now Teague, Smith has the most natural talent on the Hawks roster. Horford has great BB fundamentals. His footwork and post game are polished and thorough. I'd even go as far to say that Al Horford is one of the most upstanding, and well-manered individuals in the NBA, but from what I see it isn't him who is the problem. It's the other freaks of nature Centers out there with whom he has to face.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

Josh Smith is an interesting discussion for me. I would like to see him improve his ball handling and outside shot enough to play SF but I doubt that will ever happen. I see what you're saying though because Horford is naturally a PF.

I think the Hawks main problem is their max guy Joe Johnson is inconsistent in the playoffs.

I think Houston could get by with DeAndre Jordan playing Center. I think most teams would put him at Center instead of playing him at PF.

18. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

respect.

yeah, it's sad to see players like Josh Smith who could be amazing but just don't get it/want it bad enough. You could make cases for others like JR Smith, T-Will, Eddy Curry (debateable), Kwame, Darko (who has been playing better as of late, good for him) and so on.

Joe Johnson is an enigma for me, personally. Inconsistency seems like the right word to describe him for sure.

Going back to DeAndre. Sure most teams would put him at Center, but I don't want the Rockets to be like most teams. Teams who would would put him at PF ideally would because they have a bigger/better solution at the C.

To sum up DeAndre w/ the Rockets I'll put like I do when a buddy has had too much to drink and is eyeballin the fat chick at the end of the bar. "You can do better."

1 person likes this.
  19. Lowry4three

Lowry4three Member

I actually like DeAndre Jordon more than McGee, even though McGee is an elite shotblocker.
    -The fact is, playing the center position requires more than shotblocking and rebounding, otherwise Patterson and Hill would be our solutions right now.
    -When you look at the centers that can change the game dramatically, what do they all have? length and SIZE. size is extremely importantly, look at the importance of Perkins even when he can't protect the rim like Tyson Chandler, but is more valuable than Chandler.
    I think DeAndre Jordon has the potential to add a lot more weight to his body and stay athletic. His body type is very similar to Andre Bymun's, imagine we have Bynum's defense without being injure proned....

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks particularly bad tonight, as usual.

You would think he could do something productive against 6-5 & 6=8...