1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Hopkins starts holdout

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just checked the Texans cap situation and they really should be able to give him a new deal, but it won't be for as much as he wants unless they backload it.....which probably isn't what he wants. The Texans have about 10 mil worth of cap space to play with so they can give him a better deal, but not a top tier WR type contract.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Smith didn't get an extension and raise because he gives everyone whatever they want. That's not how it works.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, for what it's worth, Duane Brown is going to be a cap casualty next off-season for sure.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DeAndre Hopkins, per source, did not leave camp. He never reported. Major procedural differences. Story coming at PFT.</p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/759408139280130048">July 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DeAndre Hopkins changed his representation to CAA this past season. Called in the heavy hitters to rep him. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/759403831843094533">July 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If Hopkins has an argument, it is the fact that J.J. Watt and Whitney Mercilus were both given extensions before both rookie deals were up.</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/759405972385173504">July 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Update: Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins did not report to training camp. He now will be subject to fines of $40,000 for each day missed.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/759406895123697664">July 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Pay that man his just do. But I understand your point here. Maybe we don't have it and would have to drop a few contracts to get him what he wants. Which will be around 60-70 guarantee and 17-20 million a year.

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I guess he learned from his mentor Andre.

I hope the Texans don't cave. Front office needs to see what kind of chemistry he was with Osweiller and how he fits in O'Brien's system now that they have a bunch of weapons on offense.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

17 a year would make him by far the highest paid WR in the game, the highest paid WR's average 15 mil a year. The Texans have 10 mil to play with meaning that they could get him up around 12 mil unless they wanted to cut Vince Wilfork and then they could get him a bit more. I think if he wants the deal early he should take a discount on it and make up for that with a higher guarantee.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nuk doesn't have very much leverage though, the Texans have him under contract for this year, next year, and could keep him 2 more seasons after that. With this year and 3 more under team control, what are you going to threaten? Skip 4 years in your prime? Retire?

If the Texans want to play hardball, there's nothing Nuk can do about it.

10. Remix

Remix Member

The problem with this is that JJ was the best player in the league so his deal was going to get done no matter what, and the Texans were able to lowball Mercilus due to a lack of performance.

With Hopkins it's a bit different. They can't lowball him, and he's not going to get a record breaking deal. As others have noted there it a lot of WR depth now, so the Texans aren't negotiating from a position of need

11. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Ummm I hope we do cave and get him on the field ASAP

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Plus we have to pay Brock $13-18M and Cushing 5-8M through 2019.

Man that Cushing contract is so bad

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The Mercilus contract extension does Nuk no favors in this situation. Watt's could, however. Ultimately I think something gets done, but I wish Hopkins had shown a little more patience.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As long as he's on the field by the first game, I'm not too worried. I just think the guy deserves to get paid. I have a hard tome believing we'll invest that much in a quarterback, an unproven one, and then bungle negotiations with his top weapon, and one of the top three weapons in the league.

That's Browns level. Won't happen here.

It may not be today or tomorrow, but Hopkins will get his new contract. Both sides know it. It's just a pissing match of both sides trying to call the other's bluff right now.

I think negotiations will start within a week.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Texans have aleady set a precedence of extending players (and staff members) early. Don't flake out now on your #1 WR, a Top 5 WR in the league.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly.

The guy deserves it just as much as Watt and Merci did. Problem is, his new agents advising him to hold out throws a fork in the road. I think the Texans will not negotiate for a time period, just to avoid a bad perception, but they know he deserves it, and they will give him a contract. It'll just tale a little time.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

JJ Watt is a historic type player, but DeAndre can argue he's one of the best players in the league. Top 25 at any position at least.

18. Marteen

Marteen Member

F*** everything about this. He deserves more, and the Texans have every right not to cave in. But this s*** needs to get resolved and fast. I say pay him what he deserves, because I'd rather worry about cap issues later than chemistry issues at this point.

19. conquistador#11

well that came out of left field to preston tucker's glove and dropped. Next year should be the season he could do this without getting any eye rolls.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This doesn't seem right. Judging by the Texans' recent history, they've always taken care of thier guys. Watt, Foster, Schaub... They all got thier contracts before it ever came close to anything like this. Andre held out during mini camp I believe, but his concerns were addressed quickly.

I hope this isn't Hopkins' new agency holding out for not only more money, but rather highest paid in the league money. That could definetly be a possibility.