1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

No, we switched a #1 to a #2 draft pick to dump two salaries and pick up Jordan Bell and open a dead roster spot.

Rudyc281 and roslolian like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Do you know Derrick Favors? He is pretty similar to Capela same skillset and also similar deal (he only has 2 years though Capela has 4).

His market value is 2 2nd rounders and capspace. I dont know what you think Capela is worth but the NBA market doesnt value limited rim runners who arent elite defensively and rebounds-wise very highly. De Andre Ayton for example has been all but forgotten despite being the no 1 pick just last year his stock is way lower than Trae Young and thats considering Ayton actually played really well for a rookie. Ayton would prob be rookie of the year if he played this year instead of last year (he had 16 and 8 last year, Morant has 17 and 3 this year) and yet he isnt highly valued compared to other rookies with range.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Fact of life, Rockets weren't getting past the Lakers with Capela. In fact, Lakers would of had an easy time closing the paint on the Rockets so Russ and Harden's effeciency would have completely gone down the drain.

Defensively, Capela wasn't going to compete against Anthony Davis and the Lakers are likely to use a line up of him as center during the playoffs.

PJ, RoCo and even harden have a much better chance of defending Davis. I know, it's not ideal, Id love to have a big man of Capelas capability which also includes being able to shoot threes, but we don't have the players to acquire that player plus get a wing.

4. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Does anybody have any realistic moves they think that can be made because I’m just not seeing it.

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

1) CP3 does not play on this team so who cares what their record was together
    2) correct me if I am wrong but didn't we get destroyed on the boards against GSW WITH capella?

I think it will be very difficult to beat the lakers and nuggets but lets see what else happens until then

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  6. ch44

ch44 Member

The medical staffs are all trying to clear the players quickly so follow up trades can happen before the deadline. Morey isn't done working.

7. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Torrey Craig, Doug McDermott, Mikal Bridges

roslolian likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bell is essentially Faried, he can provide the oops threat from dunker spot.

But like Faried, he is not good at defense.

Need a dunker who can also lock down on D.

E.g. Larry Nance Jr, Brandon Clarke, Jonah Bolden, Jarred Vanderbilt, Ray Spalding, Kenny Wooten, etc.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

That 2nd rounder is the Warriors 2024 pick which is literally worthless at this point.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I'm going to support ROCO now that he's a Rocket. Same with Russ when he first arrived. But, holy chits, Morey is giving away 1st round picks like stuff going out of business.

D-rock likes this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

about as worthless as a late first rounder in 2020. The draft class is trash. 2024 will be the first year of Highschool players in the draft.

roslolian likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

When has Capela stopped Lebron James and Anthony Davis? He cant even stop Draymond Green and freaking Kevon Looney. Regardless whether Capela is here or not the frontline of Capela and Tucker would still be eaten by Dwight/AD/Lebron. At least now with Tucker and Roco on the court at the same time the perimeter defense will be very good even if the front court sucks. Maybe the Rox can just do a zone defense, Lakers are big but they dont have good shooters. At least now you have a chance unlike before when we all know Dwight would destroy Capela and Tucker has to defend AD and Lebron at the same time.

You are right Tucker is extremely vital to this team, if he gets hurt Rox are screwed. Thats why Rox got Roco, Roco can take up Tucker's role if he gets injured, he is 6'7 with 7'1 wingspan at least he is taller than Tucker. If we didnt have Roco and Tucker gets injured who guards the other team's best player? EG? Lol!

D-rock and jcmoon like this.
  13. mightybosstone

I mentioned this in another thread, but they could add Looney or Baynes to the current 4-team deal and send a 2nd rounder and/or some of the young assets (Clemons, Hartenstein, Bell, etc.) their way, and they'd still be under the luxury tax threshold. I definitely don't think Morey's done yet, whether it's through adding pieces in this trade, a smaller deal or the buyout market.

D-rock likes this.
  14. what

what Member

What were y'all expecting to get. Capella cannot create offense and is an average at best defender with a massive contract. Covington is 10 times the player capella ever thought about being.
    Id Id rat have Covington over Wiggins or capella any day of the week.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you are just gonna ignore how he outplayed both Kat and Gobert?

How is it an outlier when he outplayed Gobert in consecutive years?

Can you tell me how many other players get 60% of their regular season averages is this the norm during playoffs?

I will hang up and listen.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , they will be contenders sooner than later in the East .... and they will have a ton of cap space with Parsons $25m and Teague's $19m coming off the books.

17. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Can we get Looney and Kieff @ch44 ?

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I just want to make it clear in terms of rebounding and defense:

Hartenstein/Tucker/Roco or Tyson Chandler/Tucker/Roco is way better than Capela/Tucker/EG.

Normal Lineup:
    Hartenstein/Chandler
    Tucker/Bell/Thabo
    Roco/EG/Bmac
    Harden/House/Rivers
    WB/Rivers

Midget Ball:
    Tucker/Thabo/
    Roco/Bell
    EG/House
    Harden/Bmac
    WB/Rivers

Regardless whether it is normal lineup or midgetball this trade gave the Rox a lineup upgrade.

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Didn't Capela outplay Gobert in the playoffs recently? His weakness was trying to fit in against GS, although he has become less important in the offense this year. I get that adding Roco gives us an excellent wing defender and I'm excited about adding him to this team, I had just hoped we'd add a better center to this trade, I guess theoretically that is still a possibility.

Favors has always under performed for where he was drafted. Capela over performed for his area of selection, but as many have stated perhaps his value has been inflated due to playing with JH. I'm not sure Favors' analogy is best comparison, but its clear Capela's value is lower (for us) because he is limited offensively and our system puts a premium on offense.

I actually hope we give Hart some more minutes down the stretch against the bigger teams to see how he holds up. I think with additional minutes he might benefit the rotation and give PJ some help against bigger line-ups.

joshuaao and malakas like this.