1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Deadspin]The Rockets Are A Miserable Basketball Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Apr 19, 2016.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Gotta clean house - INCLUDING HARDEN!

I can accept that D12 might be the main issue...
    I can see that most of the team is disinterested...
    I think it all traces back to Harden... If your main guy isn't going to put forth the effort - most of the rest aren't either...

I've been saying Harden is fool's gold all year... hopefully Morey isn't as enamored with the padded stats as many others on this site - and moves this narcissistic prima donna on down the road...

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Even if James has peaked the player he was in 14-15 is good enough to win a title IMO.

Not being able to do cardio would cause many people to gain weight but there is no denying that James also "enjoyed" last off-season.

His body handled it just fine. He played more mpg and didn't miss a single game. But having his efficiency fall off some when the team demanded so much of him is reasonable.

These are not the same players. Contract year Brewer was significantly better. DMo was healthy and a large contributor. Smith was better. Terry was better. Jones was better.

How is it not obvious that something is going on with the team as a whole? James deserves fault for this season but so does the rest of the team. They fell apart as a unit. This isn't a case of the rest of the Rockets being the same and James letting them down. This is a complete collapse from almost every player on the roster.

However, Harden has shown the ability to improve. The Rockets need a new coach, a new system, and a new roster. I'll wait to see how Harden does with changes before I give up on him. History has made me believe that he can find a way to get better as a player.

3. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Irrational fans blame their best player for the team being bad rather than their worst players. :cool:

When the Bulls were mediocre in the '80s, it was clearly Michael Jordan who was the problem. The problem with the Timberwolves in the '90s was clearly Kevin Garnett.

(And no, before you go full desperation, I'm not saying Harden is remotely as good as either player. I'm pointing out how dumb it is to blame lack of team success on the best players, rather than the crap around them.)

4. ibm

ibm Member

he has also shown the ability to regress. history has made me believe that he can find a way to get worse as a player. lol.

5. ibm

ibm Member

the difference (to me at least) is,,, mj and kg had heart, james harden has,,, errr,,, stomach. :p

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Yeah. I would always push back against the Andrew Sharp and his ilk who constantly write about how horrible Houston is to watch ever since Harden arrived. But this year, and this series, I think this description of how much the Rockets seem to hate their jobs may be underselling it.

7. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

That's awesome. It may be true or it may not be. Doesn't change the fact that Harden isn't the reason for them being mediocre. If Harden were the problem (or a problem), then benching him or waiving him should improve the team's performance--is that what you believe?

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I choose to believe in 5 years instead of 1.

9. ibm

ibm Member

in all seriousness, harden is not the whole problem. but as the supposed (meaning he's failed that role) leader, the problem starts with him.

when a team has chosen a wrong franchise player, that team can be in trouble for many yrs. (eg., denver w/ melo). and i do believe we're indeed in such trouble. getting rid of harden is indeed the way to go - if he doesnt change his way of playing and his demeanor, and soon...

10. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

This team is miserable because of ownership and management. I feel sorry for JBB and the players because this is managements doing. Bear with me, let's take a look at D. Morey's basketball philosophy.

First; Morey's basketball philosophy is one that heavily relies on analytics which; de-emphasizes the importance of 1) coaching, 2) team chemistry and 3) favors three-point field goals over mid-range jumpers.

1) When R. Adelman was fired Mory's reason was as follows; "Coach Adelman did as good, if not the best job anyone could've done with this roster," Morey said. "It's not about, did he do a good job, or was our roster perfect? I feel like we need change, and we need to continue to change until we get to where we want to be." (I don't think we're there yet Daryl, how many years later?)

2) The one thing that has been a constant with the Rockets, change. Each coach has had to deal with a flurry of roster changes which brings us to Chemistry. I believe this is what we are seeing now with the guys bickering during the playoffs. I think they all feel this is their last hurrah in Houston except for Harden. It's actually to the point where it's toxic and I for one feel badly for them. This is managements making.

3) If you're going to emphasis three pointers, why not draft or pick players that can shoot three pointers. Klay Thompson was chosen with the 11th pick by GSW, which is something we don't have this year. (Just sayin') A lot of these guys can create and make shots inside 10 ft and closer. But they're told to look for the three. When you know that's not your game what the hell do you do? "Uh coach, can I take the two instead?"

After seeing last nights game, I'm starting to believe last year not this year was the aberration. My confidence in Morey getting it done is waning. This, "change until we get to where we want to be" bothers me. There should be a firm belief in what steps need to be taken to get to a/that point; a Championship. This tells me they believe any player will do at any position. Which is why we get a ball dominate pg to go with a ball dominate shooting guard for a first round pick.

Now after we over-reach during free agency and not get who we want, the players that we need won't be available, and we'll make a bad move dealing away someone we need just to get a too high draft pick to draft a player we need.

Time to root for the 'Stros. Damn, they're in last place? At least it's early on.
    :grin:

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

The decision has destroyed this season and the future chance
    I don't understand why they has fired McHale quickly but they can stand JBB suck total season

12. ibm

ibm Member

because of $$$$?

13. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Les should fire Morey, it's not Morey is a bad GM, but the team needs to change

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"LEAVE THE ROCKETS ALONE!"

SNIFFLE :(

Why would anyone want to be a Rocket after this flood of criticism?

SOMEBODY HELP US!!! RICK GRIMES...WE NEED YOU! CORRECTION...NEGAN...WE NEED YOU! - TWD

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

aww, c'mon now. I get the Lin hate, really I do, and I don't miss the "drive into the paint, jump in the air, and not know what to do next" patented JLin moves . . . but dude, Lin as a starter during Harden's first year (pre-bad-Harden-attitude-era) averaged 13+ ppg, 6 apg, 3 rpg, in 82 starts. Granted, he had 2-3 to/pg, but he also didn't set the NBA all-time turnover record that season either. He co-existed with Harden quite well before Harden (apparently) got too full of himself, if that's in fact what has happened to the chemistry of this team.

Look, I'm not trying to defend Lin. But the statement you were responding to was Reeko-htown's statement that Harden drove Lin off the team (for whatever reason, and not necessarily "intentionally," but that's what happened).

Tell me we wouldn't be better with a point guard who could average 13/6/3 right now. Even if his name rhymes with Schmeremy Gin. :grin:

#75 Os Trigonum, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  16. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Based on this reply I would swear you are not older than 15. How can one even take time to write such douchey reply is beyond me.

1 person likes this.
  17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Nobody can help these sad sacks anymore. They are a miserable dumpster fire of a team.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

Good, good! 2 more games of this and we definitely have driven the point home on all our players this offseason. If by some miraculous season they start caring and win some games then we can show that to FAs. Either way, best possible turn out. Playoff experience showing your true character on a national exposure level or some steeling of our team when it's needed.

Either way, better than a lotto pick.

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Miserable is remembering the good old days of Lin, Harden, Parsons, Whoeva and Asik. THat team could really play.

20. skyline07

skyline07 Member

Both Pizza_Da_Hut and fchowd0311 are losers...who uses academia to reinforce basketball logic? If yall 2 were soooo smart and prestigious...wouldn't you 2 have better things to do then argue online over a crappy basketball team?

1 person likes this.