1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Deadline Fallout] Buy-outs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by val_modus, Feb 23, 2017.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What ever happened to Scott? Seriously, it wasn't long ago I WISHED him a Rock. But, now -- what the hey happened to him?

Hakeemtheking and justtxyank like this.
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Hahaha thank you

justtxyank likes this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I wasn't listing priorities in order, I said Barnes isn't going to be considered by the team, just numbering my points.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Because he was a DPOY caliber defender before he walked away and he has superior length to Bogut.

Also, on "the best team in history" last season Bogut was less efficient scoring as the roll man as Ryan Anderson was on the crummy Pels.

For posters who complain all we do is shoot threes, we would most certainly only be shooting 3's with him on the floor.

seeingred likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I admittedly don't know much about him but just did some fast googling.
    Apparently, started the season not playing and undergoing procedures on his knee; non-surgical but apparently still something he's dealing with. Also, still has a legal case pending from a drug case he was arrested for with his brother.
    Doesn't sound like an option now that I've read this. Morey isn't going to bring in someone that has health concerns as well as off the court issues unless its a high reward type situation. And this guy is averaging less than 2.5 points and 2 rebounds a game in ten minutes in just 18 games. Pass

justtxyank likes this.
  6. raining threes

If winning is most important then these two should be added.

I don't get those that put their dislike of Barnes/Bogut above winning. If those two helped this city win a championship would you still have a problem?

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Some things are bigger than sports.

Telling someone's mother to felate their member and denying the existence of police brutality are things that fall into that category for some of us.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I think Morey goes after Bogut, but he ends up going to Cleveland. I doubt he pursues Barnes; he's too much of a risk to chemistry.

I could see an under the radar move, perhaps pulling someone from Europe or the D-League.

DonKnock likes this.
  9. mightybosstone

I think the guy's a fool. But if he helps the Rockets win basketball games, I couldn't care less. There's idiots on every professional sports team in the world. Kyrie Irving thinks the Earth is freaking flat. I would love to have Irving's ignorant ass wearing Rockets red in crunch time, wouldn't you?

Edit: But for the record, I've got limits as well. I wouldn't want someone convicted of a violent crime or of cheating on my basketball team.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Albert Nahmad‏ (@AlbertRandom1)
    Though Rockets motivation for yesterday's trades reportedly was cap space, they got a $3.3M trade exception in K.J. McDaniels trade to Nets

While Rockets can get to $3.5M of cap room, they technically stay above cap b/c also got $612K (Brewer) and $234K (Ennis) trade exceptions

For anyone wondering why effectively unusable trade exceptions can be critical, current Rockets cap position provides a nice example why.

Imagine if Rockets don’t use their cap room, and operate over the cap next summer. They’d have an extra $3.3M trade exception to work with!

Rockets may not do any of that, but that’s not the point. Point is to show how small TPEs can have value. Imagine if the big one was $10M!

Ok, back to Rockets reality…

Rockets are technically $630K above the cap, but they can generate up to $3.5M of cap room with which to fill their two open roster spots.

Rockets, with $3.5M of cap room, have more money to offer on buyout market than any team in playoff position besides Jazz, Nuggets, Pacers.

Rockets could also potentially use a portion of their $3.5M of cap room to give a prospect a potential 3-4 year deal.

(Don’t hold me to 2nd alternative. I’ve only seen buyout option reported. I’m just saying a prospect is possible if buyouts don’t pan out.)

Vivi and BigMaloe like this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks. Did you watch him two years ago? Looked good, thought he'd look good at TheToyShop. But, then... say wha'? Mebbe that legal thingy or bum wheels or or or ???

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Barnes would be a net loss. Understand there is no There there.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Regarding Sanders, the guy hasn't played in two years and has worked out for other contending teams and they haven't signed him.

I'm trying to figure out why people would want to sign him and he may not even be good enough to crack the rotation at this point.

I don't care about Bogut, but since you mentioned him, he at least brings something tangible to the team. Sanders might not even be able to make it up and down the court without needing an oxygen tank. No one knows what kind of playing shape this guy is in and what kind of rust he has.

That's why I'm trying to figure out why people want him so bad right now like we can for sure depend on him to bring anything at all to the table.

Want to bring him to camp to start the year? Sure go for it. But right now when you're looking for dependable players?

Like I said, his workouts haven't even drawn great reviews.

RasaqBoi and raining threes like this.
  14. raining threes

How would he be a net loss?

There there?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  15. raining threes

Why would something a guy said be bigger than sports? Hell he could say he wanted my mother to felate him and that wouldn't matter to me. They're only words. Win a championship and I'm sure Harden would forgive his WORDS.

I've not heard anything about the police brutalty.

16. Mr. Motiejunas

Just don't waste money on that bum Larry Sanders.

bilaal14 likes this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Read up on the guy. Do it.

If 'no there there' needs 'splaining I ainta guy to offer it. Perhaps just us old flahrts unnerstan?

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Jimmer Fred is a no-show in Shark's playoff game 1 for no apparent reason. Just saying ...

19. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Is Emeka Okafor still looking to get back in the League or is he pretty much finish?

20. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Coast-us Pappa-nickel-owwwww

Pen15clubber and justtxyank like this.