1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, Dec 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I didn't watch the first one.

But I've always wanted to watch it.

I saw Mark Wahlberg's Planet of the Apes when I was young.

Is this better than that one?

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The first one is the best one, definitely.

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Better than the 1960s one?

4. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

i give it a 6/10. the plot was a bit weak and the ending was pretty bland.

5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Great film but coincidental where...

The Caesar/Koba feud reminded me of the Lion King with Mufasa/Scar. When Caesar dropped Koba it was the tip of the iceberg lol!

6. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Me and my buddy thought the exact same thing!!! Couldn't have been more similar. Anyway, just saw it tonight; good film. It raises some important philosophical questions that parallel race wars we've had in past American history.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The 60's one is the first one.

8. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Oh, lol.

I thought you were talking about the new franchise's first part --- 2011.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I always come away from these movies desiring a pet monkey.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

unless it is Koba

Rocket River

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

koba would be fine. enter him into some underground monkey fighting leagues (those exist right?). make bank

12. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I don't know how much money you'd make, he got the beat down multiple times.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just saw the movie last night. Really wanted to catch it during the first run but swamped with stuff over the summer. Very impressed and might consider downloading it later when it comes out.

I'm thinking that it's been out long enough so don't have to spoiler anything.

As some other posters mentioned I was wondering about why the apes hadn't taken up modern technology, and at the start of the movie you seem them using neolithic tools with the most sophisticated tool being a bolo, not even bows. My own guess was for two reasons. The first was that even though they were enhanced by the simian virus they still weren't fully human intelligence. Ceasar was but he was a special case being both born with increased intelligence and also raised and educated by a human. The second was that the apes chose to reject human society which included technology. The scene with Koba pointing to the scars that he had as "human work" might've showed how distrustful the apes were of humans when it came to technology. Koba, who appears to be the second smartest ape, knows that humans can't be defeated without their weapons and learns to use guns and teaches the others as a compromise.
    That also might explain more in the scene where Ceasar finally kills Koba why he tells him he is know ape. Rather than fight Ceasar like an ape Koba instead uses a gun.

Regarding how well the apes use guns. In the beginning of the battle I think it is pretty obvious most of the apes don't know how to shoot very well. Their first wave is slaughtered pretty easily by the humans and it is only Koba who rallies them to keep on pressing even while many are getting shot. Koba's proficiency might be due to that he's observed the humans using guns for awhile and studied them. It's also for dramatic effect to show Koba able to shoot two machine guns while riding a horse without reins. Once the apes breach the human defenses and it comes down to hand to hand combat the ape advantages of strength and agility come into play.

Regarding the end of the movie I think it is left as an open question what happens. I think this is partly for drama and also to setup another sequel ( Battle for the Planet of the Apes).

While the action scenes were really good I am much more interested in the ape society they had built. While they had neolithic technology it also looked like they had developed a sophisticated culture with possible religious symbology and talismans. The only symbol that was understood was the star mullion pattern from Ceasar's childhood window but I am wondering if that was taking on religious significance or was essentially a heraldic device for Ceasar. The other things like the body paint they wore while hunting and the tooth face veils some of them wore are more interesting. I noted they didn't wear those things when they went to war which might've made sense as war paint to frighten their enemies.

Another thing that I've been curious about with all of the Planet of the Apes movies is how does ape society function with at least three different species? In the original Planet of the Apes movies the gorillas were the warriors and the most aggressive, the orangutangs the priest and administrators who enforced conservative social order, the chimps were the scientists and the most friendly to humans. I like how they've changed things in both the Mark Wahlberg one and the latest reboot so that the chimps are more varied but they are also the most aggressive. That follows what most research has shown that even though gorillas are the largest they actually are very gentle while chimps display more aggressive qualities including organized warfare. Accepting that how do three species live together without some resentment, especially when the society appears to be heavily chimp dominated. Also are their bonobos and given that bonobo society is structured around having sex how would that work with chimp society that is structured around strength and violence work?

Those things might be very difficult to convey in what is primarily an action movie but it seems like they could be explored in future movies.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Having just watched this, regardless of thoughts on plot line (maybe 6.5/10... Pretty formulaic plot line) .... The CGI work just blew me away. This shizz looks seriously legit. Definitely as impressive as any CGI work I've ever seen. Maybe that's because it doesn't matter how amazing CGI is, a troll or dinosaur will always be "not real".... Whereas talking monkeys, while clearly not real, at least feels possible and very close to home.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We watched this last night. It was incredibly disappointing and boring. The series skipped over a very important incident and explained it away in a few words(the virus), and instead focused on a little skirmish between the apes and humans. If this was a 12 episode miniseries, this would have amounted to just one episode.