1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, Dec 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Per wiki, Franco will not be reprising his role due to a change in director. It also said that the film is set 15 years after the first movie.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Wasn't a big fan of the remake. Franco's character seemed pretty ambivalent for a guy responsible for a lot of death and destruction. There were some good elements in it though. And that teaser looked pretty damn good too.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

How else are you going to attract the male audience? Good writing? Pffft

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GQcN7lHSD5Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I remember them filming some part of this movie on my street when I lived in San Francisco.

I would walk out my door in the morning, and a burned/upside down car was in front of my building.

As far as the movie, I've never really had interest in the Planet of the Apes stuff.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wake me up when they start using condoms.

7. HPD

HPD Member

Haaaaaaaq he say condoms

8. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Bump

Is anyone else excited to see this movie? Its still early but 94% on RT has got me pumped. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dawn_of_the_planet_of_the_apes/ Also reading some of the reviews, it looks like its going to be a great flick.

Many of you have probably seen the new trailer that has been making the rounds, but for those who haven't:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TeR34YWdg6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Because the pansies in San Fran were our first line of defense. Had the Apes tried to attack Texas first, we would have drove them to Mexico, and slaughtered them up against our wall, or while trying to swim across the Rio.

10. Rox_fan_here

They would then regroup and send their unaccompanied young by the thousands to the border where we would hold them in detention centers and eventually release them into the US. ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I admit I'm excited. I was a fan of the original 1970's movies, even liked the Mark Wahlberg one. I really liked the Franco one too. One thing that I'm wondering about is that in all of the Planet of the Apes there is a clear distinction between the apes (Chimpanzees / Bonobos, Gorillas, Orangutans) and humans when humans are another species of ape. The Chimps, Gorillas and Orangutangs form a society where they coexist and fight the humans when if all four great ape species were equally intelligent it Chimps, Gorillas and Orangutangs might not want to live together either.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Extremely excited for this. The last movie, Rise, totally took me by surprise and I absolutely loved it. I'm hearing a lot of good things about this one too. Very much looking forward to catching it next weekend.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

20th Century Fox has partnered with Motherboard to release 4 short films that are set during the 10yrs between the Rise of the Planet of the Apes & Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Here they are:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ejrtt37XzOY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sxcTS7AUngs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IYCl7_bDbZs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/elIf5D-uxCo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  14. droxford

droxford Member

I'm looking forward to seeing the next movie.

I thought the first one was excellent, despite the fact that it had James Franco in it (an actor who I consider to be completely devoid of any talent, ability, or skill).

15. Rox_fan_here

Those were extremely cool. Much better than I expected. Rep given

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

First one was surprisingly very good, and from what I've read this one is supposed to be even better. Very excited.

17. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Saw this last night. A worthy sequel, and an improvement (although a totally different film) on the first. Great action sequences, and the CGI apes look fantastic.

The story and plot is fairly predictable, and it does seem to drag towards the end- even with all the action sequences- it's just very 'episodic' (first we do this, then we talk, then we do this, then we talk etc....).

The human performances are solid, and it seemed that the actors knew that audiences are coming to see the apes, not the humans :) As I mentioned earlier, the apes are fantastic. Andy Serkis and the other mo-cap performers do an outstanding job. Without giving away any spoilers, most of the film is dedicated to the ape colony, and that's where the best performances and most interesting story points happen.

Definitely see it. 4 out of 5 bananas.

1 person likes this.
  18. Rox_fan_here

19. magman

magman Member

Saw it last night, really liked it, good acting all around, and the mocap was great.

Will watch again when Blu-ray is released.

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watched it last night. Absolutely riveted the whole time. The work on the apes is so incredible. Caesar was a more fully realized character than any of the human actors. I love that while there was plenty of action in this movie, the action is never just there for thrills. Every kill and every blow are really felt by the audience. Definitely recommend this and it absolutely lived up to and surpassed my expectations.