1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David West: 'Stop letting nerds tell you how to play basketball....'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBA_fan_2018, May 11, 2019.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

It isn’t the style of play. We proved last year that is works! Besides the warriors play a very similar way.

The problem is we didn’t go all in. We stayed below the cap and wasted a first to avoid the tax opposed to improve the team.

2. igotwhipscollectingdust

Rockets just lost to two players last night. Well three since they made Looney look like prime Shaq.

3. Mr. Space City

Pretty sure more than 3 players played for the Warriors last night.

4. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

The hyperbole should stop by now. You’ve guys had a nights rest.

5. WarEagleRockets

Well The cavs did beat them when they were coming off a 73 win season so...... Also, when the GM talks about how "obsessed" he is to beat only one team and neglects the other 29 and in the PROCESS others teams get better than you and you predecessor (Hinkie) builds a team in the same time frame that has a legit chance to win it all this year and have youth for a decade..... yea its time to realize your someone on the outside looking in, keep your mouth shut, and fall a 1000 feet back. Its not that we lose to the warriors.....its every year Morey and Co are more arrogant then the year before and have absolutely no reason to be. No other GM has been that vocal, why? because they knew to just let these few year play out. Look, lets be honest the only reason Morey was obsessed with beating GS was because they took his ideaology and did it better than he could. Remember that game in 2013 when The Rockets broke the 3 pt record against the warriors? It all changed after that. Also, I think what Curry was to Buldenholzer(sp) before the All-Star game was true. I think Harden probably is tired of this iso ****. He probably did tell curry that. Thats why I feel MDA is gone. Too many ppl depend on Harden to eat instead of trying to do what they are being paid to do. Harden needs a real X's and O's coach. I think he finally sees that, he doesn't need a coach thats a "do-boy"....that time needs to be done. Also, Tillman should see if Hinkie would be interestes in coming back. What he done in philly is amazing.

#25 WarEagleRockets, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Ronkol likes this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The thing to me is it’s the opposite

Know what the nerds have created? The GSW. This years Bucks (whom btw I’d pick over the Warriors right now).

The analytics and the math makes sense. The only shift would be take open shots. Open shots are the best shots. Even if occasionally they’re mid range. And even further. Take open shots that match your game. Capela should never take an open mid range. Nene on the other hand can.

The problem to me isn’t the math or analytics. It’s how it’s been implemented. Which is 4 out iso... plus more iso.

See the Bucks for a similar but also very different approach to the math.

I’ll take it further. Exchange Harden with... say... a healthy Oladipo. I think Oladpio becomes a high 20s ppg scorer with 5 boards, 6-7 assists in a different style offense. Harden level? No. But really good and a different style offense with CP3 running a more traditional play based offense and you’re likely to get as far as you’ve gotten. MDA can definitely coach that style offense as well. You still need more talent...

but the rockets stay with GSW in the playoffs because of their defense. Two years running. Their defensive scheme is what tests the Warriors. They became very very good at switching appropriately. When Steph/Klay went crazy... kind of is what it is.

Don’t get me wrong, Harden is amazing and would have that Pacers team deeper in the playoffs as well... but ultimately still losing

7. igotwhipscollectingdust

Yes, they had some bodies put on uniforms.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Meh. I'm not "one of those guys." And yeah, I slept well. But I watched the game. Did you?

I watched all of Hakeem's games and all those runs of 1994 and 1995. I just didn't see guys walking around, blowing off box out assignments on the regular, and taking defensive plays off in those years. I'm sorry -- I just didn't. Maybe I am glorifying the past too much.

But forget the Hakeem years and real Rockets champs for a second: I didn't see the Warriors taking plays off, skipping box outs, and walking around the floor last night. That is more relevant. They had ants in their pants.

As an old basketball player, I really feel you can measure urgency in box outs. How bad to you want the possession? The answer is kind of ugly in game 6, just based on watching it.

But yeah, the Rockets were a good team this year. They recovered amazingly from a horrid start and they pushed the Warriors. It just seems like they pushed a lot harder in the first four games than the last two. And that resonates with the two previous years somehow. We can close our eyes and ignore that, I guess. I'm sure I'll be back rooting for them again next year b/c history and habit.

RyanB, Houstunna, Clutch and 7 others like this.
  9. Mr. Space City

Those bodies in uniforms made more big shots and played with more heart than the rockets “others”

10. igotwhipscollectingdust

Precisely. It’s not because they were more talented but because they played in a better system and they played with more grit and determination. There is no reason why the Rockets should have lost to Looney, Bogut, Bell, Cook, Jerebko, McKinnie, Livingston, 35 year old Iguodala.

RyanB, Richie_Rich and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Down 0-2, the rockets played like their backs were against the wall and it absolutely was. The energy and effort were great. They wanted to win those two bad.

From the beginning of the 4th of game 5 to the end of game 6, they played like they were entitled and that GS was just going to roll over. There was no urgency or sense to just execute and kill the warriors while they were vulnerable. Just plain inexcusable. I really can’t believe what I just witnessed in these last two games

RyanB, Richie_Rich and B-Bob like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Almost is not good enough, sorry - we need variety in our game.

DD

RyanB, Ronkol and smp like this.
  13. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

Balanced. Sometimes there's just a superstar or two standing in your teams way and it's too difficult to get past them.

14. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

Two HOF all-time great players.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. bmelo

bmelo Member

smp likes this.
  16. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

They were all drafted by GSW, not traded for or signed as free agents.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dude, when you take a 3 pointer on a 3-on-1 fastbreak something is wrong with how you play.

Just gonna leave this here. Ignore Max, listen to the hall of fame legend/champion.

It's all about predictability and the Rockets are like a very hard boss in a video game...but once you get the pattern...

B-Bob, bmelo and smp like this.
  18. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I'll have to disagree to a certain point. Sure, the Rockets dont have as much talent, but when you open up the mid-range, that takes care of itself. How many times did Harden have a mid-range available to him only to either 1) continue driving and get hammered with no call, 2) dish out to someone else who either TO'd or missed 3) turn the ball over himself.

Just being able to "compete" isn't good enough in my opinion. It's like kids getting participation trophies. At the end of the day, you still get an "L".

Is it efficient to just be 3 and paint - sure. But that makes you one dimensional and easy to defend. GSW time and time again took mid range shots and they got the W. Efficient or not, the results speak for themselves.

bmelo likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The problem in this series was defense, not offense...

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pretty sure he has a ring with Gs

RyanB and NBA_fan_2018 like this.