1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David West Opts Out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsPimp, Jun 24, 2015.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I looked at West and Scola's #'s harder.

West is 4 months younger (been in the league 4 more years), both are same height and weight, both average the same FG%, both average the same amount of rebounds. West also missed 15 games this season (Scola has been ridiculously healthy over his career), only missed 9 games total over his 8 season career holy ****!)

West averages 2 more points (but on 2.5 more FG attempts) all while West averages 8 more minutes per game.

The ONLY advantage I see that David has on Luis is assist, there's no arguing that, West averages 3.4 assist, Scola only 1.3

Both are vets and are rumored to be great locker room leaders. So where's the disconnect where Scola gets vet min and West gets more then 6 mill per? Again I don't see it.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

He'll get more than that lol. Youre talking about Beverley money there :cool:

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I love Scola...but David West gives the team a decent post option... Not sure if the Rockets break the bank, but I think David is looking to get one last big check...Not much to see here if you're Rockets fans.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

did not know they were that close
    West's has better history but why pay for that

Rocket River

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">West not picking up $12.6 M clearly means this was not a money decision.
    He turns 35 in August, but still has “passion” to play, per source</p>&mdash; Candace Buckner (@CandaceDBuckner) <a href="https://twitter.com/CandaceDBuckner/status/613831035541811200">June 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'll say it again, I just don't think $$$ has anything to do with it. He's never been that kind of guy <a href="https://t.co/F9ajxaJXVE">https://t.co/F9ajxaJXVE</a></p>&mdash; Candace Buckner (@CandaceDBuckner) <a href="https://twitter.com/CandaceDBuckner/status/613841817667158016">June 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Updated story on D West up soon. Some stuff to remember: he picked Indy over BOS in '11. Money &amp; market doesn’t drive him. Wants to win</p>&mdash; Candace Buckner (@CandaceDBuckner) <a href="https://twitter.com/CandaceDBuckner/status/613857363313954816">June 24, 2015</a></blockquote>

6. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

If that is true and he is willing to take a paycut, why not?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...out-free-agent-contract-roy-hibbert/29227655/

8. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Could this be a way for Indy to clear up cap space? West opts-out, Indy then has a decent amount of cap room to work with, and then Indy can re-sign West with the remaining cap room.

9. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I think he is worth 3mil at most, but some team will pay him at least 7-8mil for multi year deal. Rockets won't do that though

10. mig0s

mig0s Member

He's worth at least 5. Remeber when we gave an old Brad Miller 5M? Well West is worth sure as much as an old Brad Miller

11. Garner

Garner Member

Would Absolutely love him next to Dwight/Dmo

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

FWIW

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">League source: David West is &quot;very likely&quot; to sign with the Knicks come FA. &quot;He knew that before he chose not to opt in&quot; with the Pacers.</p>&mdash; Jared Zwerling (@JaredZwerling) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/status/614214932855431169">June 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

WUT?

He's going to leave more than $12M on the table to go earn less... to play with one of the worst teams in the league? WUT?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing that the Knicks -- besides presumed free agent targets such as L-Aldridge/G-Monroe/D-Carroll -- will get a meeting with David West</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/615215083929608192">June 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course there are, however West couldn't even get the starting job on a depleted Pacers squad. I'm not sure why the article calls him a "bruising forward" because West is a finesse player, his game is like a poor man's LMA he'll float just right in the shaded area and then launch mid range J's. Most people who want him over Scola clearly haven't seen the guy play the last couple of years and just know him as CP3's sidekick in NO. There's basically no difference between him and Scola at this point, if you can get Scola at vet min why do we even need to look at this guy?

I don't even get why West opted out of his final deal worth 12.5M, sure the Pacers aren't world beaters but with their SG/SF dude (forgot his name) coming back healthy and with Hibbert still on the squad they would still have been competitive, might even challenge for 2nd seed in the anemic leastern conference. Now reports are he opted out of his final deal to meet with NYC, a team that's even worse than the Pacers. Wut????? :confused:

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't really get these comparisons to overpaid player, in retrospect that 5M to Brad Miller was a waste so I'm not sure how that relates to West. Just cause Dallas paid 15M to Parsons doesn't mean Draymond Green is automatically worth 15M since he's better than Parsons.

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Knicks are so desperate you know they'll give a guy like West at least $13 million per year... So it was a smart move for a couple more hundred thousand that serves as a tax cushion at the very least. He's not about winning after all... LOL

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

David West is not a "bruising" player but he certainly isn't a finesse player either.

He has developed a reputation of being a tough and hard nosed veteran, so I guess that is what they meant.