1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Wesley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by outlaw, Aug 7, 2004.

1. outlaw

outlaw Member

any chance we could trade for him? He's not a true point guard but with the amount of time Yao and TMac are gonna be handling the ball that's OK as long as he can catch and shoot.

He had a great shooting season 2 years ago but slid badly last year and the Hornets drafted J.R. Smith, a 6'6" 2-guard to play with Baron Davis.

He's had some good assist years in the past before he changed positions and he doesn't make a lot of turnovers (career: 2.0 tpg)

His career playoff numbers are pretty good
    48 games
    12.7 ppg
    40% fg
    40% 3pt fg
    80% ft
    3.8 apg
    2.0 tpg

CD probably likes him since he's a Baylor guy.
    His contract is reasonable and short.

Maybe we can get him for Pike + the TE + a first rounder?

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Interesting idea. He averaged 16.8ppg and 7.3apg one year with the Celtics (keep in mind, it was one of those terrible M.L. Carr-coached Celtic teams). He can still shoot and hasn't yet reached the point of being a liability defensively.

Important to note, he's missed an average of 15 games the last three seasons. He'll be turning 34 in November.

3. Sane

Sane Member

Would love to get him, he'd be ideal for our PG spot. We don't need a full-time PG, but we need someone who can shoot and will play very hard. He's got good size for a PG as well.

Maybe we can do this:

Pike + MoT + Boki + First rounder

for

PJ Brown + David Wesley

Baron and Armstrong played in the backcourt a lot together last season. Add in JR Smith, who lit up the summer leagues, and Courtney Alexander, coming back from injury, and Wesley starts to get less and less minutes. So we give them a very good, well priced backup at the 2, someone with good size and a great shooter.

Then we give them some younger players, MoT and Boki and a draft pick for PJ Brown. Keep in mind:

- Byron Scott wants to run. Can PJ Brown run? Can he take a whole season of running Byron Scott Style?

- Hornets tried to sign Mo Peterson. Now, Boki is no Mo Pete at this point, but he is definitely capable of becoming as good, and serves as a young backup who could FLOURISH big time running with the Hornets. Seriously, in all honesty, I believe we could regret giving him up in such a deal.

- Magloire and Brown are a bit similar - the yare both power players, none of them are really good scoring. Aside from that, overall the team is a bit old.

This team would make them younger, better scoring, and open up minutes for their rookie.

Magloire/Chris Andersen
    MoT/David West
    Mashburn/Boki/Lynch
    JR Smith/Pike/Armstrong/Alexander
    Baron/Armstrong

Solid team, aside from Mashburn, they can all run.

We get PJ Brown, who would be a nice veteran fit on our team (although overpaid) and David Wesley, who could split PG duties with Lue as well as backup T-Mac.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Wesley is a very good player. I dont know what the chances are of getting him but he has a pretty good shot, howeevr hes kinda small so he sometimes has difficulty geting his shot off. From everything I read about him, he's also a decent guy off the court specially since he lost his buddy Phils in that horrific racing accident. We need a true PG though, and Wesley is not the answer for that position.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He's a fav of CD's, but also a fav of Father Time. His game is going, going...

6. MADE

MADE Member

i dont think that trade will materialize considering we are in the same division...would like to see it happen, but i realli rather give boki a try than trade him to another team and have him explode on us.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I love David Wesley. Even after he became a semi-superstar (at least in Waco) after he led Baylor to a win over #3 Arkansas in the early 90s, he came up to some skinny 13 year-old kid shooting baskets in a Baylor gymnasium. He asked me if I wanted to play 1-on-1, and being the big Baylor basketball fan I was, I stuttered a "yeah, sure". He let me stay with him and he beat me 15-13. Then, a couple of buddies of mine showed up and we played 2-on-2, David being my teammate. He let the others stay in it (until he swatted one of their shots across two courts :) ), but we finally prevailed. He was very encouraging to all three of us, giving us tips on how to play the game and being sure to give us props after good plays. I root for him 80+ times a year, only hoping that he loses twice, even though I'll have to root against him more this year.

Bottom line, I'd love to see him in a Rockets' uniform.

8. lytruc

lytruc Contributing Member

Any deal with the Hornets will involve Mashburn. They have been trying to move the oft-injured Mashburn.

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

he was in our training camp in 92 right? too bad we cut him.

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

PJ = Hard-nosed PF! :mad:
    Wesley = Ice for blood; 3pt shooter :cool:

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Eh, go with Dino Radja. He's a hoss, or at least he was in the mid 90s.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Numbers game then. Guaranteed contracts vs Wesley's unguaranteed status.

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Maybe by this time next Year goneeeeeeee!!

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He is broken down. Has had off and on injuries the last few years I believe. I think I pass.

15. aghast

aghast Member

A Wesley trade would come out of NOwhere. And, compared to Mutombo, he is relatively young.

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

He’s a little on the old side, but than again so was Brent Barry. I would have no objections to getting Wesley.

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I would love to get Wesley, I'm just not sure what we could give up that they would want.

18. Sane

Sane Member

You guysh ave to understand that, yes Wesley is old, but how much is he going to play? Is he driving that much? What's his role? How much pressure is on him to score?

If he comes here, I see him getting 5 minutes behind T-Mac, and 23 minutes at PG. Lue gets 25 minutes at PG as well.

In 28 minutes, he can do a lot, even at his age. But all we need him to do is get us into our offense (capable), play hard (more than capable) and be deadly from the outside (capable).

Seriously, 28 minutes is nothing for an NBA player who has played well above 30 the past few seasons.

19. MONON

MONON Member

Wesley would fit in very nicely with the Rockets.

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I was thinking about the very same player a few weeks ago but never made a thread about it.

Wesley would be perfect. He is a hard nosed defender who usually has to man up against sgs. He is very thick, like Francis. He is a good outside threat. He takes care of the ball.

I don't know what his contract is like, but the only real flaw in his game is that, like SF, he can't really set up his teamates all that well, but guess what, we don't need a pg to do that anymore. He'd be a rich man's Fisher imo.