1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Thorpe: Marcus Morris can play (the three) !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 25, 2011.

1. rocketzlove

rocketzlove Member

:grin:

125-119, 125-119

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And this statement is based on what, exactly? Were you at the practices? Did you see that he was ready long before Adelman, who saw Patterson in every practice, decided he was ready? How? Through osmosis? You thought he looked ready during shootarounds before games? What do you base your opinion on? Feelings? That Patterson played well when he got his chance? How do you know that wasn't because his coach felt he'd proven himself ready in practice? You don't. Neither do I, but I do have Adelman's record on which to base my opinion.

3. Nook

Nook Member

His record of being fired from Portland, GS, Sacramento and Houston? .... On a serious note, Adelman is a good coach (not perfect as some think), and there is no way to know when Patterson was or was not ready to play. Time to move on, Adelman is gone; and the Rockets will be fine without him, and he will be fine without the Rockets.

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He clearly doesn't have the ball handling skills of Carmelo and Durant and to a lesser degree Beasley. But he has better handles than Battier. And Knowing Durant is totally not available, who would you rather have right now reefer loving Beasley or self loving Anthony over Morris. I know most people would easily pick Anthony but Anthony went to a decent Knicks team and made them worse. He left Denver and they got better. He needs the ball and expects it all the time. ANd he doesn't play D and acts like a primadonna a bit too much!

Give me a guy like Morris over both of them. And while there are others on this board jizzing from their mouth how they discovered this guy and he is the new franchise player. I don't know if I would go that far but what I will say is at this level so much of the game is mental. It's why Tmac never amounted to anything but a high scoring highlight reel. Talent gets you only so far and work ethic is what separates the champions. Even a guy like Kobe who I dislike has an amazing work ethic. And I believe Morris will bring that too. So If he has the footwork to guard threes (And I believe David Thorpe, one of the few basketball people I trust) and he really is the efficient scorer that he is than we got a gem. So I wouldn't worry too much about handles. He isn't calvin Murphy but he is decent and I expect he will only get better.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So McHale won't make guys earn their minutes? That should endear him to the players.

How is it obvious that the FO doesn't want guys to earn minutes? That's like saying they don't want to win, which they've said repeatedly is not the case.

6. MandM's

MandM's Member

slow news day.

who gives a **** what that Thorpe guy says. Kmartin is crap. That's where he hangs his hat. Another paying customer jerked off.

1 person likes this.
  7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Kevin Durant has handles? Morris can't be any worse than Durant in that aspect.

8. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

Im Not Homo Just Being Funny with the use of the word!

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Really warming up to the pick, reminds me of Ppat not a huge ceiling but extremely solid and fundamentally sound and will probably be a lot better than we all think. All of the videos I watched Morris has great footwork, solid jumpshot, excellent post moves, loves contact, and get a shot off in traffic with no problem. Not sure who he reminds me of.....though I have seen comparisons to Al Harrington and Corliss Williamson.

10. HombreDeHierro

insulting a man's character because he loves "reefer" is childish

1 person likes this.
  11. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Almost everything I hear about this kid is good, what I really love is everyone saying he has the desire to be great, he wants to be great, he goes all out, he puts in the work.

Moreys drafting has been great other than Joey Dorsey, and I think with either dontas or Morris, we may have moreys biggest draft day steal of all time. I will admit I am drinking some kook aid, I desperately want something to cheer for next year. These kids have the frames and size and scoring ability to be special.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

insulting a man's character because he loves "Rafer" is childish..but so much fun.

13. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

True, but if you love it more than you love hard work, and to the extent that everyone can tell you love it without much inspection....then you have an issue.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Do you believe winning the next game is always the goal of a team with 82 game regular season and players who play many years?

Do you believe that sacrificing a bit of the present for a better future, one where Patterson, Montie, Morris, etc. have experience grow into what they're capable of is a stupid idea? And that you always play better players regardless of their age and regardless of their ability to play 2-3 years from now?

If you believe that, then you are correct.

Personally, I am willing to take lumps if it means potentially a better future. But that's just me.

15. drsnay76

drsnay76 Member

Winning the next game and securing the next contract is always the goal of a player. Would you be willing to lose money and opportunity at work to a coworker that is presently worse at your job than you, but shows potential?

I agree the young guys need time, but for the sake of team morale it has to come organically. Which means that they have to earn it in practice first and then contribute in games.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I believe that's the Rockets' goal, as stated by Alexander and Morey repeatedly. Additionally I don't think Morey wants the value of his assets deflating because they're thrown out on the court when they're not ready to play. Losing doesn't help the value of Morey's assets either.

Who says not having to earn playing time is the best way for them to "grow into what they're capable of"? Do you think it would have been better to start Patterson day 1 and bench Scola? That's a good experience for Patterson and the team?

How do you know "taking lumps" means a better future? Should we throw Thabeet out there even if he can't walk and chew gum at the same time to try to win the future?

I could have sworn you started a thread during the season about how making players earn their minutes was better for their development than just throwing them out there. Maybe you or Easy. I could be wrong though.

17. Hui

Hui Member

I like I like!!!! Shows he got competitiveness :)

18. Hui

Hui Member

I agree I do like the picks we got but we are still weak at the center position fingers x

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mike Harris was tough too.

:)

DD

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I might've started a thread. I might not have. But I did feel that way at the time. And I still hold to that. So I want to make the distinction clear here.

Then: I believe that it's "okay" to bring players slowly when you're trying to win. And that waiting for players to develop enough until they can contribute seemed to have turned out okay for Rockets youngsters the past few years.

Now: I believe that since the Rockets aren't going anywhere, they might as well play the young kids since otherwise the minutes are somewhat wasted. i.e. Scola playing 40mpg and scoring 20ppg isn't as good as Scola playing 25mpg and scoring 15ppg, with the other 15 minutes going to Patterson or Hill or Morris so they can develop.

tl;dr version: If you're competing and keep playing your best players, Good. If you're rebuilding and playing your best players, I disagree.