1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Thorpe: Marcus Morris can play (the three) !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Tough guy who even bumped a ref! I know it cannot happen in NBA but it is badass attitude and it is needed on this team. Like him already.

2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

A more focused, quicker, Glenn Robinson = Jamal Mashburn

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Or this guy:
    [​IMG]

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Amigo was a pretty much a interior big, not a combo forward. Not close.

Now to think of it, Morris' college career kind of look like that of:

[​IMG]

Both went to big name colleges.

Both entered the draft as juniors.

Both saw their minutes and production go up during the course of their college career, after playing significant supporting roles as freshmen.

Both averaged about 17 pts/7.5 rebs/2 assists (Morris played less minutes) and had TS% over 60 as juniors.

Both known has having high all-around skill level, neither are very explosive athletes, and both had "tweener" worries. (You may not remember, but Mike D was Duke's 2nd leading rebounder (next to Carlos Boozer) in the 2001-2002 season).

I think this is actually a pretty decent interracial comparison.

5. valorita

valorita Member

I really think that Morris' success will depend on how we utilize him, especially at the 3 spot. He doesn't have the size, length, or explosiveness to take NBA PFs. I agree that he is similar to Dunleavy JR physically, but he has one skill that makes him unique and much more likely to succeed. That is his post up skills. He was the most efficient post scorer in college last year and that was against college PF which roughly translates in size/strength to NBA SF on defense. Mike Jr was just a tall SF but could not take advantage of his height with smaller defenders. Imho a better comparison would be with our other draft pick Parsons. Both are very versatile and considered more point forwards (here we go again with that term).:cool:

I don't think he will be all-star level because I don't see him ever being a stellar defender. Similar to Chase, I just don't think he has the footspeed to keep up laterally with the wings consistently. I'm so tired of opposing players blowing by our SG, SF, PF. I also think that Chase has better handles and can run the floor better.
    Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And Adelman never played rookies? Bull ****.

7. Prince

Prince Member

Our killer McHale lineup: Over 6'6''
    Scola
    Patterson
    Morris
    Bud
    KMart

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

from the get go = game 1. Adelman didn't play rookies right away. Landry and Patterson took half a season to get consistent minutes. Brooks took a whole season. Budinger was really the only rookie (excluding old rookies like Scola and Andersen) that was in the rotation from the beginning.

9. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6G0ITN7FE7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Marcus Morris Film Session With Jim Barnett

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Appreciate this video. Thanks.

This guy can do just about everything else on offense. If he can play average D for a s/f, Morris will be a load to opposing teams.

Props to CX for his foresight. He probably saw in Morris the same things Morey did.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

No, but he did bench Patrick Patterson for half a season without any reason whatsoever :rolleyes: If I were DM I would have fired him right then for incompetence.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Add some more pump fake, shake and bake, Kobe's mindset and he is going to be a real competitor.

13. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E9CXNkvkzgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Adelman plays the "best" players in his mind. I quote the word best here because this is subjective. Said player may or may not be a rookie. But he has to be better than the guy behind him. Also, Adelman prefers to shorten the bench if it gets too thin, rather than limiting his starters' minutes.

So yes, Adelman will play Morris 20mpg if he deserves 20mpg. But if Adelman feels Morris deserves 0mpg to start the season, he may decide to for example use Lee at SF and keep Morris on the bench until he feels Morris is ready.

McHale though, as someone who works in concert with the front office, may in the same situation play Morris 20mpg anyway, basically throwing him into the fire and hope he can improve that way.

I won't say which way is better for player development. But it's pretty obvious the front office does not prefer Adelman's way.

15. acjeitherocket

we shall see......

16. Htown's2kFinest

I'm wondering... If he really handle the rock, why didn't he show it more in Kansas? I know he had to play the 4 but guys like Carmelo, Beasley, and Durant all played a lot on the post in college and no one questioned their ball-handling. And just about everyone had those guys as NBA 3's.

17. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

Well Son, That's Because Out Of All Then Which Are Tweeners By The Way Hav'nt Played The 4 More Then Marcus, Plus Since his brother has same size and Etc... (No Homo) They feel like both have same ways of playing the 4

18. TheBookOfOlu

TheBookOfOlu Member

Damn my writing is horrible!

1 person likes this.
  19. Agent94

Agent94 Member

No way. That would be somewhere between Kevin Martin and Peja Stojakovic.

20. Htown's2kFinest

You sure son, "(No Homo)"? People that say that are more than likely a bit homo.

Anyway thanks for clear that up... :grin: