1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Stern Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Jan 16, 2014.

?

What will Stern be known for?

1. Frozen envelope + other rigged drafts

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Sonicsgate

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Globalization + massive growth

46 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Draft day heckling

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. 2002 WCF Kings-Lakers controversy

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. Lockouts + shortened seasons + biased CBA

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. "Basketball reasons"

13 vote(s)
    12.4%
  8. Tim Donaghy

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Hip-hop and dress code controversy

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Robbed c Webb of a ring. Burn in hell ******

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm glad Stern is almost gone. He has sucked as a commish for a couple of decades as far as I'm concerned. Strike his name from all the records and all the books and anything else associated with the NBA. Never again speak his name or acknowledge his existence. So let it be written, so let it be done!

3. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

you can't be an nba fan and hate on stern. he has done so much for the nba and has transcended the game.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Eh, yes and no. With all the money at stake, if the NBA didn't have Stern they'd probably get some other highly competent chief executive to lead them to the status they enjoy today. Maybe they'd be a little better off or a little worse off. But, the league still did grow phenomenally and Stern was the leader, so you have to give him the credit. If you put some hack in his place, they wouldn't be where they are today.

There are some things he's done that I feel were unethical (basketball reasons and blackmailing cities for stadiums come to mind) but I don't have particularly high expectations for moral behavior from for-profit organizations -- high standards, but low expectations. So, he didn't distinguish himself on ethical behavior but did distinguish himself on financial success.

5. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

**** him I hope hell swallows him whole for all eternity for that travesty that he did to the Kings in 2002.

The Hitler of sports.

6. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

7. rudan

rudan Member

Yeah, but he is an easy target for dumb asses that like to think about a playoff series that happened 12 years ago :cool:

8. Andrew Wiggins

You guys must be ****ing cool.

Stern is a piece of **** and we hate him for a reason.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm glad he's gone. Adios, and please let the door hit your arse on the way out!

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It’s official: Adam Silver succeeds David Stern as <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NBA&amp;src=hash">#NBA</a> Commissioner <a href="http://t.co/B2tuuZVZv9">pic.twitter.com/B2tuuZVZv9</a></p>&mdash; NBA (@NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBA/statuses/429630549935005696">February 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

Luv u stern, I just have to say "basketball reasons" and every laker fan gets upset

Goodbye Stern mafia :(

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

To me, if I was a basketball owner, that was one of his crowning achievements.As fans we don't really care, but from a business stand point, him making the NBA game an entertainment experience because at the end of the day, that's the competition.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Stern did a lot for the NBA despite acting like a Mafia leader guys. Suck it up.

Btw, Adam Silver looks like a tall version of Dobby.

[​IMG]

15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I always think of how Stern receives way too much credit for "advancing the game". I'm sry but wasn't the nfl in nearly the exact same situation?

16. shawn786

shawn786 Member

What is he knows for is something different but what he will be remembered for is his global expansion of the NBA and it's brands.

No matter how much you hate the guy he did well for the sport and the league.

5-10 Yrs from now no one will remember "basketball reasons" or anything else, IMO.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The NFL has always had more leverage over its players given the roster size, expansive upstream talent pool and frequency of injury, although Goodell has an easier job because the individual owners on average are more professionally and commercially competent than those in the MLB, where the infrastructure is old enough to not have to do anything; or the NBA, which was basically a carnival business model. Without Stern and the salary cap, the NBA would have become competitively inequitable and fiscally inefficient like MLB or paralyzed with labor shortages like the NHL, and the resulting inability to get consistent TV contracts and promote its stars would have made it as demographically and commercially narrow as the latter.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bird and Magic are responsible for the resurgence in fan interest and Jordan carried that torch

And if by Globalization of the NBA, you mean the falling of the Soviet Union which allowed players to come here was due to Stern, then I guess he's bigger than the President.

Should we give Stern credit for the Dream Team too

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The Bird exception was a key component of that and reflected the league's flexibility and insight with regards to long-term promotional interests rather than bargaining precedent. Whatever their missteps down the road they transcended the functional conflict between labor and management for the sake of long-term mutual benefit.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Are you saying Stern hatched and negotiated the Bird Exception? The Celtics and Bird's agent did that. Besides, the Bird Exception came before Stern was Commissioner.