1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Stern and his 23 and under rule for Olympics

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MambaJoe, Aug 4, 2012.

1. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

This is a long read....

Basically Stern wants to change the rules that only 23 year old NBA players and under can participate for our country. I agree with Kobe because I really do think it is stupid. I believe that the best players should rep our country or unless they rather have the silver or bronze instead of the gold. This has happened before in the past where only college players get to participate but that's when the Dream team came into picture. I wonder if David Stern really wants history to repeat itself because it will.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/basketball/story/_/id/8175240/kobe-bryant-calls-david-stern-olympic-age-limit-concept-stupid-idea

Lock if posted

2. AFS

AFS Member

Only read the quoted section of the article that you posted, but I agree with Kobe. This is a representation of our country, the country that invented the game. We shouldn't be coming in 2nd or 3rd...

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree. curious: is this the only summer olympics sport that was invented in the US?

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

The thread title should have ended with "...can go to hell"

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i believe so, most of the modern sports seem to come from the UK

6. QazQay

QazQay Member

It is a financial decision for $tern, and he has even said it is himself. But it would be a disgrace not to send our best players for financial reasons. It is the Olympics. You send your best possible team to compete and represent your country. $tern might not care if they don't win gold, but America does.

7. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Yeah but a Canadian invented it and they don't even qualify. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  8. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Technically, baseball and softball were invented here too but they were axed by the IOC.

9. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Sometimes David Stern really confuses me with the rules he come up with sometimes. Even if it was for financial reason, it shouldn't come down to that. USA is suppose to be the best in the world when it comes to basketball. They should always come home with the gold and no less. The USA should always send out the best players no matter how old they are. Their goal is to win the gold for the country, not for young players to experience it. Anything other than the gold for the USA Men's basketball team is a failure.

I really hope Stern understands this and not do it just for financial reasons. He might not care but the Americans care about bringing home the gold for their country. Even with the best players the USA can sometimes have major challenges. With a young team they may not even get the bronze. It should always be a player's choice to play for their country or not. It was truly painful to watch that young 2004 team in the Olympics. I do not want a repeat of that ever again. I am glad Kobe spoke out to it and all the players should as well. Olympics is to bring out the best of your country and rep it with the best in the world. Every other country brought all their best players to play for their country and compete with the best of them. David Stern shouldn't even brought that up to begin with. Sometimes I really wish he steps down as commissioner.

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

this is all because of the Blake Griffin injury. Stern does not want to risk his cash-machines at some event he does not benefit from.

Too bad he doesn't recognise how much exposure basketball gets on the world stage at the Olympics and the bucketloads of cash that gets generated from the extra publicity and exposure by having his superstars play at the Olympics.

If Stern really decides to go ahead with this rule, theres gonna be riots calling for his head.

11. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

I actually don't mind this rule (probably because im not from the US).

A similar rule like that of the soccer, where 3 above 23 years old players can be included, would still tip the scales in the favour of USA as long as the entire competition follows suit, which of course wont happen..

A nice idea but totally impractical, the vet euro teams would just become the new powerhouse with the young USA team not really standing a chance

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

volleyball and beach volleyball both come from the US. not sure about other sports.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Stern is asking for ALL countries to send U23 teams.
    He doesn't want to do this through the NBA, he wants FIBA make that change at the world level.

14. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Another point i just considered is if FIBA implements this, the minnows of olympic basketball will become even more irrelevant than they already are.

Those teams dont have the elite young talent pool to draw from but at least try and compensate to some degree by savvy veterans and their experience..

15. teebone21

teebone21 Member

even playing field i guess. Our rookies/second year players vs the world.

16. jdjd

jdjd Member

We can't see the pro's live on regular NBC as it is now. If we sent even younger guys we definately wouldn't see the games, and there wouldn't be nearly as much interest in the games. I say Stern's crazy and greedy, we have the best and should send the best. Even if the other teams go under 23 as well, the games would get so boring they would eventually just eliminate the whole thing like baseball, and it would be lost all because of $terns greed.

17. blunto

blunto Member

18. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

How does Stern benefit financiallly from U23?

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

his proposition is basically: "FIBA, give us a piece of the profits from the World Cup and make it more popular by killing the Olympic basketball (via U23)."

And I suppose there may be a hidden part: "...or else we are taking our veteran superstars from the World Cup, making it even more irrelevant than it is right now. Good luck making money after that."

(Olympics revenues go to International Olympic Committee, World Cup - to FIBA, so FIBA might be financially motivated by this)

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Blake Griffin is 23 so with this rule he still could have gotten hurt.