1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Robinson's take on the after playoffs award ceremony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by elrond, Apr 20, 2017.

1. elrond

elrond Member

Thought folks might find Robinson's comments on having the award ceremony after the playoffs the be interesting considering his personal experience on what happens when you have the award ceremony during the playoffs...
    https://www.si.com/nba/2017/04/14/nba-playoffs-expert-roundtable-predictions-mvp-finals-awards

"David Robinson, Spurs legend and two-time champion: I personally like it. I like the focus on the playoffs and winning, rather than individual achievements. There’s a time and place for that. Right now there’s a time and place for coming together, for winning together, for winning championships. When I won MVP, our announcement was right before our Western Conference finals and the Houston fans were thinking that Hakeem Olajuwon should have won it, and it probably just added that element that didn’t need to be added. … As if he needed any more motivation."

2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Everybody likes to dismiss the fact that Hakeem is muslim and took part in ramadan that year which probably cost the Rockets some wins and Hakeem the MVP. That said, nothing David Robinson says can change the fact that he was simply outmatched when he faced Hakeem in the 95 playoffs. MVP or not, Hakeem's skill level was simply too much for Robinson to match and he got clowned pretty hard.

There's no shame in it though. Hakeem was the best center of all time.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Robinson is lucky Jordan did not play in 95 playoffs of else Jordan would have stolen his well deserved MVP trophy.

BigMaloe and RasaqBoi like this.
  4. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Mr. Robinson remains mentally 'bamboozled'.

Scarred for life, poor fella.

saleem and juanm34 like this.
  5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

we had a shitty year and were a long way behind, robinson deserved that mvp, but it's much like many years, this one included where winning mvp doesn't make you the best player.

Caesar and fba34 like this.
  6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Sissies step down when men step up. Dream is all man. Robinson is like Dwight Howard, soft even though they look ripped.

fba34 likes this.
  7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Robinson did deserve the MVP. The Spurs won 62 games to the Rockets' 47. And Dream did miss a lot of time that year. That being said, Robinson didn't play like an MVP in that series aside from Game 4.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

D-Rob deserved MVP that year. He was not a sissy. He was not scarred.

One of the reasons Hakeem torched him so badly is Hakeem had fresh legs because of the games he missed late in the season.

#8 A_3PO, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    durvasa likes this.
  9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I remember hearing that excuse from Jazzholes after the Rockets upset Utah, but that's BS with regard to Robinson. Dream had to play all 5 games in the first round and all 7 games in the second round just to reach the WCF. Meanwhile, Robinson's Spurs coasted to an easy sweep of the Nuggets in the first round and defeated the Lakers in 6 in the second round(it would've been 5 had Van Exel not made a 3-point prayer for the ages).

And that's to say nothing of the Rockets' short-handed rotation which lost Maxwell after Game 1 vs Utah and never had Herrera save for about 2 minutes in Game 4 of that series.

saleem, Tha_Dude, Zboy and 2 others like this.
  10. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

To clarify, I'm saying DRob is 'scarred' now (as in he carries scars from Dream in that series). Not 'scared' then.

I'd never say he was scared. He was an All-Time great and deserving of that regular season MVP.

That being said, Dream having fresh legs had little to do with it. Historically, Dream always took his game to stratospheric heights in the postseason.

Robinson? Not so much.

saleem, Tha_Dude and Pen15clubber like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

David Stern, "where did he TOUCH you, David?"

That's how bad of a dismantling it was.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

LOL! I laughed so hard my stomach hurts.

Tha_Dude likes this.