1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(David Locke) Rockets about to make multiple trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 3, 2019.

1. basketballholic

Morey still likes him breh. Expiring contract. I can actually see it happening....once again.
    and it has been discussed.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

I see. So we would tap into that robust market of teams clamoring for John Wall and his massive contract in order to build a better roster next year.

[​IMG]

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dude, you're already getting ALL the laughs.

Deuce, King1, BigMaloe and 25 others like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

We would acquire a hobbled John Wall who would be useless for us this season in the hopes of rehabilitating him and then pawning off his albatross contract on another team? Really? That’s quite the imagination...

let me guess, this is chess, not checkers...lmao, c’mon man...

Deuce, BigMaloe, bongman and 5 others like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

This may be the most far-fetched out of the hundreds of far-fetched "insider" trade ideas Basketballrehab has posted.

If this actually happens, I will publicly apologize to Holic for ever doubting him. I will also trade my house for a 40 of malt liquor and run naked from Sugar Land to the Woodlands while drinking it.

#365 topfive, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    BigMaloe, hakeem94, IvanLCPM and 6 others like this.
  6. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Anybody with an Athletic subscription?

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can you explain your involvement with the rockets and how you know this? Are you claiming to know that this has been discussed? Do you claim to be an insider? I've never really been clear on this. Or do you just like to state your assumptions and guesses with authority?

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We have two injured ass pg in knight and cp3, and we cant even get rid of knight yet. In what world is it smart to grab yet another injured pg in wall and try to trade him next season, with him being on an even longer nastier contract than knight? Outright dumb.

9. basketballholic

We would acquire a hobbled John Wall along with Beal while keeping our stash of draft picks. We could then use our picks to peddle Wall off to a team with capspace this summer or even later into next season, friending on how he rehabbed.

In all likelihood he'd come back string on a championship contender while coming off the bench and destroying opponent bench units. He would likely be able to be traded back out to a team like Minnesota, Miami, or next year's version of the Pels.. once teams like that saw he had fully recovered and was balling again.

Because of Walls extension and the underperformance and dysfunctionality of the Wizards (partly his doing) he is an extreme turnaround candidate. He had has right profile to recover physically and he hasn't lost any talent.

In fact he hasn't really reached anything close to his ceiling. And if there is a system that could rehab his game....it's ours, playing on the ball with the second unit.

And his salary this season makes it possible.

Honestly, if I were Dell Demps......I'd be seeing if I could acquire him now.....along with other assets from the Wizards. Pels are facing a multi-trade rebuild. They can afford the contract. And they could let him pile up stats and flip him probably as early as next season.

On the other end of the spectrum....a team like the Warriors or Rockets...that I' in the luxury tax and will not have cap space for the foreseeable future could create a lot of options for themselves in the trade market by rehabbing Wall on the fly on a great team.

Somebody is going to get left out of the free agency sweepstakes. Think about a healthy Wall running up and down, stealing, dunking, dishing....And then peddling him off into the Pels cap space next year. Huge trade exception that would allow you to trade players AD if you were an under the cap team....that's big.

Yes, there's a risk. He's injured. And that contract is huge. But he was a franchise cornerstone 12 months ago.

I don't think it happens here. But I think it is viable. And I think the Wiz would trade Wall along with Porter, jr for little to no draft picks in order to get out of the tax this year and to avoid the tax trap of Walls contract going forward.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, if this happens... I don't know, but this is absolutely insane. I mean, wow, I think Hakeem coming out of retirement is more likely... And I don't think that's even a possibility, hahah, like 0%

BamBam and topfive like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wonder if Celtics are getting karma for the way they treat their 'assets'.

topfive likes this.
  12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

blahblahblah. You're right, he's nowhere near his ceiling. It's 3 years behind him.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

@basketballholic Wall is not even scheduled to resume basketball activities until June at the earliest, so there is no such thing as “trading him to some team with capspace this summer.” As for trading him later into next season, you’ve got a PG who didn’t play ball for 6-8 months and is now coming off the bench for the Rockets while still having his albatross deal. I’m sure the market will be booming.

What’s worse is that there is no way in hell Washington is using Beal as the asset needed to get rid of John Wall. Beal is their best asset by far. They would be asking for talented young players and picks in return for Beal if he was ever on the market, let’s be real.

I don’t think this is viable at all. The 1st reason is because you’re talking about the Rockets acquiring John Wall and his hideous contract, and the 2nd reason is because you’re talking about Beal coming here as well.

fckbandwagons, luckyman76 and topfive like this.
  14. basketballholic

Yes I could.

Yes

No

When I assume/make assumptions concerning player acquisitions, I state it very clearly.

What I don't make clear all the time is when I'm joking. "It has been discussed" was/is both a joke and the truth. Several years ago posters latched onto the phrase and used it as a hook to joke about my posts. I actually thought it was funny myself, especially the irony of it. I put it here under a spoiler as a partial joke. But not a total joke you see.

Rubio is an ace defender at the point. He defends Steph really well. And he's long enough to be effective switching into Klay. Additionally his bbiq is very high. He fits our team leading the bench unit and backing up Harden/Paul, especially with Paul's health iffy. And he can easily play in tandem with them with Harden rolling to the 3/4/5 defensively.

#374 basketballholic, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Mental illness is something to take very seriously. I recommend you talk to someone.

16. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Rubio guarding 4s and 5s? Idk about that bro.

steddinotayto likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I never thought I would say this but getting Ricky Rubio for Knight + 1st ain't that bad.

[​IMG]

Artie_Fufkin, hakeem94, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  18. basketballholic

Sure there is. Teams that are rebuilding cab preserve their cap space like the Kings did. This is what a rebuilder really should do. Leave about 50 million open cap space. Fill out the roster with minimum salary guys signed from the top of the gleague, and undrafted free agents. Forego even the one year Rondo-style vet free agent signings. Empty cap space is worth more on the trade market than Rondo and most expiring contracts on a one year deal unless they are superstars or former draftees that have broken out and are facing restricted free agency.

The Pels should do this in spades this summer. See if they can find some Alonzo Trier type guys, get them under contract for 3 seasons at the minimum, be really bad, keep looking for diamonds in the rough. And use their cap space throughout the season to pick up assets in salary dump trades. Then arrive at the deadline with a few expirings and cap space to make a bigger move if it's there. If it's not there, stay under the cap, even if it's not 90%, though the end of the season. They're first in line for buyouts because they've got the cap space to do crazy things...And if they're bad enough they're first in line to pick up waived players.

If they arrive at the end of the season below 90% of salary......the entire roster gets to enjoy a bonus! That does a ton of pr good to the next class of rookie free agents. They'd have their pick of those guys. Go through the draft process. Scout everybody. Tell the guys you want that if they go undrafted that you're going to offer thet a deal and you're going to operate like the year before and give them the opportunity to possibly earn as much or more as a mid first round pick by operating low budget.

If I were Demps and Benson...I'd peddle Davis off to the team that would take Solomon Hill with him and would give me back the most draft picks, any team not on his designated list. And then I'd try to peddle away any and all of Moore, Randle, and Niko for the best combination of expiring salary and draft picks I could find. And I'd be very public about how I'm going to rebuild by not signing any vets to anything beyond minimum salary or extreme value salary. I'd be very clear I'm keeping my cap space open for trades and rookie free agents. And I'd also let the whole league know I was fed up with agents and superstar players manipulating my team, city, and fans.

In light of where the league currently is today in terms of superstar players signing with each other... A rehabbed John Wall has value to a lottery franchise that has cleared the deck and is rebuilding. You make him the main piece, you don't sign anybody else. He's stuck for 5 years in purgatory. The only way out is for him to play his a..... off so his team gets good or he can get traded away to a better team.

By the way.....who is John Walls agent? Any guesses?

coyotetex likes this.
  19. basketballholic

If I were your durable medical power of attorney I probably would do that.

20. basketballholic

I didn't say that did I?

But I will tell you this. Him and Marcus Smart are the two most consistently disruptive forces on pick and roll/pop action against them. They tip and steal more balls than anybody what in those situations. And they also disrupt the drive better than anybody. They are tremendous on ball defenders and on ball switchers. Right best in the business.