1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fegwu, Nov 22, 2004.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The only reason Atlanta’s running game is vastly superior on paper is because of Atlanta’s 1600 rushing yards, Vick has 600 of them. As far as simplifying numbers, you forgot to mention that Carr has 107 more passing attempts and when you break the numbers down further,

Carr’s average yards per pass 8.02
    Vick’s average yards per pass 7.87

So looking at the numbers further, Carr hasn't proven he’s a superior passer, he just passes more. That’s why the argument that he just hasn’t had the chance because the offense hasn’t opened up really isn’t true. Carr is on pace to pass for almost 4,000 yards. That’s fairly wide open by NFL standards. And lastly, while throwing over 100 more times, he only has one more touchdown pass than Vick, and that’s with better receivers.

#41 pgabriel, Nov 24, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Carr vs. Vick is too close to call right now. Of course Carr gets more pass attempts. He is the better passer, so the coaches trust him to pass more.

I would still take Vick over the long haul because of all he can do, but Carr looks like he will be great as well.

3. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

you guys can't compare carr and vick based purely on more pass attempts or the run game because

1) these are 2 different qb. They affect the game in vastly different ways. With vick, because he's such a threat to run, you got to bring the safety or spy with the LB so that has to open up more one on one coverage for the WR. This observation alone should make vick a better passer. Also, because vick creates a lot of plays by himself, a lot of plays are broken down plays and usually on broken down plays, the offense has an advantage. Carr on the other hand, has to stay in the pocket for the most part to get off his passes. Our OL is terrible so that gives less time for Carr to make a pass.

2) the systems are different. Atlanta uses a west-coast offense and so far vick doesn't look very comfortable in it. But the benefit that vick does have is the ability to make broken plays into a gain. Carr on the other hand, like a poster said earlier, i feel has had the kid gloves on way to long. He's our franchise qb, not some patch work qb. He should be given a more aggressive playcalling to maximize his strengths of this team which is receiving. Too often we run on 1st and throw out to the flats on 2nd. When is capers gonna realize that we should pass to set up the run instead of vice-versa?

Ultimately, i would rather have carr over vick just on the fact that he's houston's own now and we've seen what he can do if given the chance. If we kept the playcalling in the 1st half of the GB game in the 2nd half, then we wouldve won...plain and simple. This team plays not to lose TOO MUCH.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ummm...that's why you look at completion percentage, pgabriel. with more attempts, carr's completion percentage is better, too.

and i totally disagree with you on the running game. atlanta runners have done just fine this season. the longest run from scrimmage for a texan is held by carr at like 36 yards. the running game for the texans has been virtually non-existant. they've had to pass more because of that.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So you want to rely on a 3% higher completion percentage to show how much better a passer he is? That's not a big difference, and actually, a lot of analysts use the yards per completion.

Carr has proven he’s a slightly better passer while playing in the same system for the third straight year while Vick’s percentages are almost on par in a completely new system for him. Given that fact, given the other things Michael Vick brings to the game, and given that he has proven that he’s the difference between his team winning and losing, he’s the better pro right now.

6. mulletman

mulletman Member

i dont know if you can call what davis did last year a fluke. if he busted a few long runs every game that anyone could have had because of huge holes created by the offensive line or because he compiled his stats during garbage time when the texans were down big and the opposing team was playing prevent defense, i would agree with you. but davis consistently ran over tacklers last year. he ran hard and he hit his holes quickly.

i dont know whats wrong this year. i guess its the injuries and fumbling problems from earlier in the year.

i do agree with you on one thing -- until davis shows that he isnt injury prone-- he is not the long term solution.

7. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

With Vick, people are always scared that he is one play away from that big hit which ruins his career. That may happen, but it may not. Right now, I take Vick because he adds a dimension to the game (his running) that Carr can never have. I think Carr may be a better pure passer, but I would take Vick for his versatility.

As far as their team success, I think the Falcons are just a better team than the Texans overall. If you switched QB's, I still think the Falcons have the better record. Davis looks like a 3rd down back. The Texans O-line is horrible. Mark Bruener is no threat to catch the ball at TE.

You can't compare Carr to Roethlisberger. Pittsburgh has agreat running game, which takes so much pressure off of Ben. I live in Pittsburgh, and see it every week. Ben has played poorly the last 2 weeks, but they've gotten 150 yards rushing both times to offset it. The defense is holding teams down, and has scored the last 2 weeks. If you switched Roethlisberger and Carr, I think the Steelers still are 9-1 and the Texans still struggle.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The odds are that Davis’s season last year was a fluke. I like Davis, but this guy was a fourth round pick who was drafted to be a third down back and he wasn’t even that great of a runner at LSU. I hope he turns it around but I really think he is just showing what he is.

As far as people who discount Vick’s running ability because quarterbacks aren’t supposed to run, this reminds me of people who said yeah, Francis gets a lot of rebounds but he is a point guard so it doesn’t matter. Umm, yes it did, and the Rockets are sorely lacking rebounding this season. If a player can do something positive well, its always a benefit no matter what position he plays.

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I know you said you would choose Vick but saying it too close to call is absolute joke. Vick is the only quaterback in the NFL that makes defenses pee on themselves save for Peyton. Anybody who waits more than 1 nonasecond to decide between Vick and Carr needs to be examined fast. It is just like saying that it is tto close to call between Carr and Peyton - highly uncivilized.

I think it would be more appropriate to include total yards for each QB in the yards category. If not least Vick ground attack as a seperate line item.

Don't get my drift wrong; Carr is good but Vick is Vick.

just had to get those in

10. MadMax

pgabriel --

i hear ya on vick's running ability. i don't think it's a liability, except to the extent he looks to run first out of the pocket. then it's a problem. it was a problem for randall cunningham at one point, who is really the only player i can think of comparable to vick. "the ultimate weapon." steve young was an excellent runner, but an excellent passer first...who looked to pass out of the pocket and stuck around to do it. elway was a mobile QB along the lines of what we've seen from carr thus far.

granted..vick is a freak..he's an excellent athlete. but again..ask me who i want to be my PRO QB...not my college QB...but my PRO QB...and to me, I choose Carr. having said that, you know I'm immensely biased because i love the guy.

11. MadMax

this is just wrong...vick is immensely containable. he's not rewriting the record books out there, folks. he's just not. he's been very beatable. he's not throwing for TD's all over the place...and i think all but 2 games this season, he hasn't thrown over 200 yards. your post is indicative of why i say this guy is overrated...because i think people honestly believe this way...that defenses are just scared crapless to play the fierce mike vick. i just don't see it.

using mike vick and peyton manning in the same sentence, at this point, is an insult to manning. that guy IS rewriting the record book. it's not all about flash. it's not all about style. vick has not had a pro bowl season...not even close. he's no where near as good as his hype is yet. no where close. and when i hear people say this, i wonder if they've seen him play, or just seen his commercials.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

ick, most hundred yard rushing games by a quarterback. Record book

Vick, only quarterback to win a playoff game in Greenbay. Record book.

And I know you think Vick’s passing isn’t up to par, but the stats show otherwise. Case in point, the yards per pass attempts is very high for both Carr and Vick, just last year’s Manning, who always puts up great passing stats, his yards per passing attempt was 7.54. Vick might not be Peyton Manning as a passer, but right now he is about middle of the pack passing right with Carr, and he’s learning a new system, and he’s the best running quarterback in the league.

As far as living up to the hype, I would also disagree, because that hype doesn’t talk about his passing ability. It talks about his overall game, his athletic ability.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Carr, I just don't think he is as good as Vick.

13. MadMax

and i just don't think vick is as good as carr. not athletically..but as being an NFL QB.

i told you we could go round and round on this! :D

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Look at their stats. This season it is too close to call who is better. I am not talking about the future. It's not like comparing Carr to Peyton, because Peyton is clearly better than both.

15. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah I agree with that. I don't think the Colts need Harrison to win. Manning threw for 5tds against the Texans and Harrison only had 1 catch for 9yds. If I was the Colts I would resign James and let Harrison walk and try to get a guy like Braylon Edwards in the draft. Manning is so good that he can win with pretty much anything at wideout.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If the Texans had Vick instead of Carr they would be about 3 games better. Im not knocking Carr I just think Vick is that good. Carr will throw for more yards but Vick just finds a way to win.

17. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Atlanta 20.8 points per game - 14th in the NFL
    Houston 19.8 ppg - 16th in the NFL

Why would defenses "pee on themselves" at the prospects of facing an offense that is so average and is putting up only 1 point a game more than the Texans?

18. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Vick is flash in the pan. Atlanta's defense is what wins games, not Vick.