1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fegwu, Nov 22, 2004.

1. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I believe in Carr. You bring up Brees and Big Ben, They have great O-lines and a running game that teams must respect. That O-line is going to pretty much kill any pass protection and running game. One thing that I will agree with is the play calling. I don't blame the O Coordinator at all. He is a pass-happy guy. I blame Dom with his "OK, we have the lead, let's play conservative" philosophy.

I have serious doubts about Dom. If there was another coach out there, I would make atleast entertaint the idea of making a change. Dom is just too damned conservative. Truthfully, against the Packers, the O-line played well. Well enough for us to win. But when Dom is doing the, "run-run-pass-punt" crap, it doesn't really matter.

2. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

All I have to say is LaDanian Tomlinson, Duce Staley/The Bus, Kevin Jones. Pretty much all of these young OBs with great numbers have a ground attack. Mr. 2000 yards for the Texans is lowest in the nfl with 3 yards a carry. His dropoff has caused me to wonder where the Texans go with their 1st rounder next year. Benson anyone?

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Can you imagine if the Texans were able to get a legit 100+ yd/game rusher with D. Davis being used as a 3rd down back? That would be scary for oppossing defenses.

Anyway, about Carr, you're right. We should trade him for Amare Stoudemire! :)

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Isn't it just his third year? Fourth at most.

5. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

This is Drew Brees' fourth year in the league, he was the 1st pick of the second round (32nd player taken overall) in the 2001 NFL Draft out of Purdue.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can sit out no longer.

David Carr is a very, very good young QB. On pace to throw for about 4,000 yards this season. Toughness?? Seriously?? That's the last thing I'd be questioning. He took more licks than anyone his rookie season, and he never begged out. He's a competitor, and we've seen that side of him...we saw him throw his helmet in disgust a few weeks back vs. the Jags on what he perceived to be a bad call...we see how excited he gets everytime they score, this last game pulling the towel from his waist and pointing to the stands to wave it with them...he's far more mobile than anyone expected....and most importantly, his teammates respect the hell out of him. they love him. i'll take my chances with a guy who plays like that.

Drew Brees??? please, man. give me a break. this guy is soooo valuable, that the Chargers aren't planning on keeping him around. questioning Carr's leadership/poise/toughness and comparing him to Drew freaking Brees???

trade Yao and T-Mac, while you're at it. :rolleyes:

7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

David Carr is not the problem. The guy has developed each year and is on pace to throw for 4000 yards this year. Tell Mr. Palmer to open up the offense, get a decent RB, and let David start doing what he does best, throw the football.

8. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

David Carr IS NOT the problem. It's this restrictive dumb offense Chris Palmer is running. It's weird that we have to offensive dumbasses in Houston...Chris Palmer and JVG

9. MykTek

MykTek Member

carr isn't the problem.... i think our problem is consistency.....the offense has spurts that they are great and the defense also....they can't seem to put together a complete game....

like the offense was ok during the first half...and dead during 2nd half... I think they didn't adjust to the defensive very well in the 2nd half....they gave carr too many different looks, making him audible to running plays....and my 2cents, Davis is not the answer at running back....I think we should have signed Eddie George, he fits Capers scheme better, he's a north-south runner that can pound it late in games....we don't have that back that can wear them down in the 4th....

Defense wise, they played awesome 3 quarters....but i don't blame them running out of gas in the 4th....i believe we had like 3-4 3 and outs in a row..... thats a lot of time on the field....and you can only hold an offense like green bay's for so long....

special times played very well, only bad things were the missed field goal and letting a good return ....besides that our coverage was awesome and moses did a great job...

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I agree with you that Brown would be a solid pick and he may end up being a better pro than "Cadillac" (although he is not as shifty or elusive). But in my opinion, and I know we need a quality everydown back, the first two rounds should be dedicated to the defensive side of the ball, and specifically up the middle. If Ahmad Brooks declares for the draft, he would make an excellent first selection (as he plays in the 34 for Virginia) for the Texans to play the inside backer next to Sharper. With an athletic 6'4 265lbs frame coupled with 4.6 speed, pairing Brooks next to Sharper with Babin and Peek/Wong on the outsides, the Texans could very well have one of the best linebacking corps in the league.
    In round two I would again stay with the defensive middle theme and again, if he declares and if he's available I would like to see the Texans draft DT Haloti Ngata. This guy is a beast. You won't get to see this guy play anymore this year becasue Oregon is not bowl eligable, but at 6'5 345lbs he would make for a monster NT in the 34. Not only is this guy a mammoth but he has tremendous quickness and an exposive burst for someone that big. I saw him use a uppercut swim move on a guard (when he wasn't doulbe teamed) that was so phenomenally quick and powerful it blew the lineman off the line like nothing. Ngata would do so much for the front of the Texans line not only because of his size but because the double teams it takes to stop him which as a result create lanes for the backers to get to the quarterback.
    In my opinion, if the Texans were able to get these two players in the first two rounds (if possible) their defense would be tremendously improved for the 05 season. In the third round and beyond I would like to see the Texans draft some offensive line depth, as well as safety help, and another running back.

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

As far as draft and FA goes I'd like to see the Texans make a play for Edgerrin James. Marvin Harrison is also a FA and it's hard to see the Colts retaining both especially after throwing all that money at Peyton and with obvious needs on D. Then there's a bunch of good DT's available including Corey Simon. Resign Payne, bring in Edge and Simon. I think our D-line would be great with four quality guys and maybe spell Walker a bit because the guy has shown nothing this year. For the draft pick up BPA probably a CB/S/TE or LB. Then it's playoffs next year no exscuses.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You say Carr is a leader and tough and enthusiastic because he threw his helmet off, but Drew Brees isn’t because he’s had a a pro-bowl season while his team wants to toss him out on his ass. That makes absolutely no sense. Carr’s a good young quarterback, arguably the second best behind Vick, but Brees has had a better season. Period. And him almost behind thrown on the scrap heap and actually turning that situation into a quarterback controversy shows a lot more a lot of mental toughness.

13. MadMax

i think you intentionally try to read more in my posts than is there, pgabriel. it's all good.

i'm not saying that brees isn't having an awesome season. i'm not saying he is not having a better season that carr. not saying that at all. i'm saying over the body of their career, i'll take carr over brees, no doubt. i think most GM's would.

my point isn't in one moment...i used a few examples. carr has the respect of his team and this organization, big time. he earned it by getting his ass kicked, and getting up everytime. i've seen few quarterbacks who seem to be enjoying playing the game as much as he does...he's very demonstrative. he can be ecstactic...and he's very clearly a team guy.

at this point of his career, i still say he's a better PRO qb than vick. would you argue that vick is having a better season than carr right now?

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

With the emergence of Stokley and Wayne, I would actually think that Marvin is the most likely not to return to the Colts.

I think we will be looking to the draft for a running back. With any luck, we'll end up with Cedric Benson, though I don't think he'll be around long enough. Either of the 2 Auburn rb's work as well.

As far as Carr goes, they still have the kid gloves when it comes to handleing him. Maybe there is something we don't know. I do know that he has the talent and toughness to be one of the best. They just have to let him do it. The Texans staff has got to start playing to win. No more of this playing not to lose crap.

15. MadMax

when they let him loose, he kicks ass.

let's be honest...the best this offense has played has been when domanick was NOT available and they had to rely on their passing game.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Considering that the only thing Carr has done better than Vick is throw for my yards, and considering Atlanta has the second best record in their conference, Vick has had a better season.

Vick has shown he can carry a team, while Carr has shown he can be a very good system qb, he hasn't shown he can win games without a lot of help.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I tend to disagree. I don't think Stokley and Wayne have emerged, rather they're just taking advantage of a lot of single coverage since everyone is rolling help towards Harrison. When the Texans played the Colts we doubled Harrison constantly. I believe he was held to just one catch. However we made Stokley look like the second coming of Jerry Rice, because he was going one on one against a rookie, (Robinson). I think the situation is just like the Bills last year with Peerless Price. Everyone knew Price was doing so well because of Moulds on the other side. Price hasn't done crap since becoming the #1 WR in Atlanta. If Reggie Wayne was a FA this year it would be the same thing all over. Without Harrison the Colts are nowhere near as good and I think Indy knows it.

18. MadMax

we could argue this round and round...but here are the numbers

Carr -- games 10; 2541 yards passing; 10TD, 8 INT; 61.5% completion; 86.7 rating

Vick -- games 10; 1652 yards passing; 9TD, 7INT; 58.1% completion; 83.7

I would argue that Carr's numbers are superior while he plays on an inferior team. His defense is nowhere near what Atlanta's is. That's why I think the second best record thing is helpful, but not entirely indicative. Remember that Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl.

I would argue that Carr has nowhere near the protection that Vick has enjoyed...and has nowhere near the running game that Vick has to take pressure off him. I think you put Carr with the Falcons and he still puts up nearly 4,000 yards passing this season. I don't think Vick does the same with the Texans.

Vick is more exciting. He's infinitely more marketable. He's certainly a better runner. But as for being a pro NFL QB...I think I choose a drop-back passer with GOOD mobility as opposed to a guy like Vick. I don't need my QB to run for 100 yards in a game. Frankly, I don't want him looking to run for 100 yards in pro football, because he's going to get killed.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Carr has better receivers and the only reason his offensive line looks better is because he doesn't take sacks. If all that team needed was Trent Dilfer why did they look so bad when Vick didn't play? Vick's team makes the playoffs when he plays and they don't make it when he doesn't play. Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett are average runners so I don't know about his running game being all that much better.

The numbers

8-2
    4-6

20. MadMax

it's not that simple, and you know that. qb's alone don't win championships. was trent dilfer the best qb in the league because his team won the super bowl? by your logic, yes. it doesn't work that way.

as for runners...the running game of atlanta is VASTLY superior to the texans running game. and atlanta has an OL that protects vick better than the one here.

i agree with you that carr probably has the better receivers, all the way around.