1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Carr should be traded..........

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

hey, max -

i appreciate, and certainly understand your frustration. but i want to ask you a question. are you a big fan of edgerrin james? ok, perhaps not a "fan," but i'm sure you appreciate the guy's work, right? in his first seven years, all with the colts, he averaged 96.1 rushing yards per game; 4.2 yards per carry and 10 rushing touchdowns per year (in six full seasons; he missed 10 games in 2001). pretty good, right? group hug?

he’s led the league in rushing twice and finished among the top 2 in total yards from scrimmage three times. all told, he’s finished among the top 5 rushers four times and been among the top 5 in yards from scrimmage 4 times. last year, he rushed for 1,506 yards and is now 19th all-time in rushing yards. is canton calling?

this year with arizona, however, he's averaging 66.3 yds/game; 2.7 yds/carry and is one pace to score just 5 tds. so what's happened to edgerrin james, arguably one of the 2 or 3 best all-around backs in all of football the past seven years? open-ended question; i'd appreciate your thoughts/opinions/theories.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Right. I'm sure people were able to make an accurate judgment on a QB of an expansion team five games into the team's existence. :rolleyes:

They may be right now, but that doesn't mean they could make an accurate call back in 2002.

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I'll jump in, my opinion is he is no Earl Campbell. ;)

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i answered this in the other thread. why are you posting me this question twice? in two different threads?

5. msn

msn Member

...and DC is no John Elway.

Now that we have that settled, why do you suppose Edge's numbers are down significantly in Arizona?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because he looks lost and just don't have "it"?

7. Summer Song Giver

I'm sorry sir, you are going to have to expand upon this "it", please back up your statements with stats, drop back times, where his head is looking, what he had for breakfast that morning for that is what matters. It does not matter that he sucks, for what is sucking, what we all want to know is why he sucks and then maybe we can incorporate these reasons into why David Carr sucks because sucking can not be the reason David sucks, David must suck for a reason, is it because his line sicks that David sucks or is it because the coaching sucks that David sucks, maybe it's the running game that causes David to suck, possibly it is the defense that causes David's suckage or the receivers whose suckage has caused David to suck: for you David alone can not suck, it is not in his nature to just suck, there are other elements at work that must have caused him to suck.

8. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Lets put it this way

WHO THINKS CARR WILL BE BACK AFTER THIS EXTENTION?

highly doubt it ... so that means he's NOT GOOD ENOUGH! if he was good enough we wont even have to think about it like Vick, Palmer, Eli shoot and add Leinart.

9. msn

msn Member

Sarcasm isn't helping your weak argument, either. The answer is that he *doesn't* suck, and the facts bear that out. That's why some posters work so hard to dismiss these facts, because they have *nothing* but their own misguided opinions with which to prop up their pathetic argument.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah. It's no longer opinion. It's fact. David Carr rocks the casbah. No one can disagree. Anyone who thinks otherwise is misguided.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I should have posted this here, these threads seem to be randomly jumping across subjects

I think Carr still has the chance to be a good quality QB. He has been a good QB most of the season. A bad 2nd half against one of the most athletic defenses (Dallas) when they got on a roll, that could happen to 90% of the NFLers.

Here is a short list of the guys I would definetly take my chance to build by team around right now over Carr.
    -Brady
    -McNabb
    -Manning (P)
    -Hasselbeck (the most underrated QB in the league, excellent passer and good athlete, could be the 4th best overall)
    -Palmer (all the tools, but leadership?)
    -Vick (has issues he needs to work on, but Atl's W/L with him versus w/o him show his impact)
    -Young (ridiculous upside, already leading)

Carr may or may not be better than....
    Roethlisberger (current most overrated individual in the league, OK, well maybe tied with R. Bush)
    Leftwich
    Rivers
    Eli
    Leinart
    Cutler
    Brees
    Alex Smith
    --Most of the 2nd groups have been with offensively loaded teams (Ben, Eli, Rivers, ML, Brees), some with a defense too (that allows them to throw in low-risk high success situations--see what this has done to Jake Plummer's career), so I can't say with confidence Carr has worse prospects given the same situation OR we just don't have enough information at this point (Smith, Cutler). Also, Eli has looked sucky and personally chunked many games in his short career despite a good supporting cast (I think he gets the benefit of the doubt and hasn't been crucified simply b/c he is a Manning, though he is finally playing decent this year). Now I'd probably go with some of the younger ones in the above group over Carr to build a team (Leftwich, Rivers, Ben, ML, Smith, Eli)--but I can't say with all confidence they are much better right now or that their upside is all that much greater.

#171 Desert Scar, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  12. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

yea he doesn't have a f'n o-line to help him. go check the rushing stats for the cardinals. no cardinals RB has rushed for 1k yards since murrell in 1998. check and mate.

13. Summer Song Giver

I'll play a game with ya, you name a QB the texans would be worse off with than David and I'll in turn name one the texans would be better off with and we'll see who runs out of names first.

I'll start, the Texans would be better off with a one armed silver back gorilla from deep in the rain forests of Africa.

14. msn

msn Member

The fact that you consider this logical betrays that I'm wasting my time.

Gotcha. You definitely know what their needs are.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I listed 15 above I would take or consider over Carr to build my team. That still puts him average among starters if you take every single of my 15. Care to add more?

16. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Kudos to Carr on his toughness. He has been throughly beaten by opposing rushers by our complete inability to find an adequite offensive line.

That said. I just don't think he is a #1 pick caliber QB....Might he be above average with an excellent supporting cast, sure. But he is nobodies superstar.

And I am sorry.....I just don't believe stats tell the whole tale. His quarterback rating is good, but if you take away that first scripted drive every game....and ignore what he does against 2nd units and teams ahead by 20+ points in 4th quarters (the NFL version of garbage time) I imagine his numbers bear out what is obvious to anyone watching the games. That he might not be the biggest problem. But he doesn't seem to be part of the solution either.

Capers was an AWFUL coach. But he has had a modicum of success in the past. Carr was not PERMITTED to change a run play to a pass at the line of scrimmage, only the reverse. Surely even Capers wouldn't have handcuffed him in this way if he had shown any aptitude for making good decisions at the line. (That said in fairness...last year when they momentarily took those chains off him in the first half against the Rams...he looked pretty good).

Anyway...I hope the pro-hairdo faction is right, because that would mean that the Texans have one more piece in place of a puzzle that doesn't have a lot of pieces. But I think its definately a stretch to think that Carr could lead us deep into the playoffs with an average OL and running game.

17. Summer Song Giver

Well, i think Sage is a better option than Polly Miss Panics, so I'd pretty much rather have anyone. We aren't going anywhere with P.M.P. so what is the point of him being here? And to whoever pulls out the but,but,but arguments for David; call me when he is the starting QB for a playoff team and if he ever is it will be because of his excellence at *managing the game

*note the obvious negative connotation.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

IMO, what he's done this year with absolutely no running game to speak of shows that Carr can and probably will be a very good QB in this league.

19. Summer Song Giver

again, youd think we were 4-1, wish i had your optimism.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When i look at a qb, i look at leadership 1st, then i look at his 3rd success rate. David Carr has played well, but numbers lie. The reason the cowboys were able to keep shortening the field was because Carr doesn't throw the ball down the field enough. If defenses feel you will not throw the ball over their head, they creep up ever play till you see R.Williams playing as a lb. Carr never threatens down the field because he has been sacked so many time and has poor pocket presence. Not all the time its about running with the ball, most is stepping up and deliveriing the ball. I think his career is just like Dilfer. After a while even with the so called tools, people will realize that he's a ok qb, but nothing special. 3rd and 5, the qb cant throw a 3yd pass. Check the texans 3rd down effeciency and that can be directed at the qb.