1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Carr should be traded..........

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Ironically Drew Brees is the perfect example for and against Carr. His 5th year late blooming in San Diego (after the drafting of Philip Rivers) showed that quarterbacks can "get it" late. On the other hand, Brees arrival in New Orleans shows how much a QB change can really impact a team.

Look at Matt Leinart tonight. Has possibly the worst offensive line in football, going up against the best defense in the NFL in perhaps the last 4 years ... and he throws 2 TD passes in the first half.

I don't necessarily blame Carr... he's been pretty good this year (up until the Cowboys game). But if the losses just continue to pile up, at some point, you just got to make a change.

2. timwalters

timwalters Member

matt has more poise than carr, better and faster decision making...football the receivers are opne for a spilt second, some qb's complete it, and some don't...thats what seperates the ones that have "it"(brady,manning,leinart,young,cutler) from those that "panic" like carr,harrington,couch,...its not about how strong your arm is or how cute you are or "experience" or "good mobility" its about having leadership qualities,poise,timing passes accurately when there is that "split second" window.....if kubiak can't make carr good then its hopeless....

now, alot of you are saying "lets get a o-line,rb,tight end,then lets worry about carr"....the problem with that is to get all those pieces will take a few years and by then if carr still "doesnt get it" then you would have to draft a rookie qb and "hope he gets it"..and its like rebuilding "again" with a rookie qb...way to risky...

when you want to completely rebuild...you start with a leader,a qb...and the texans (namely Kubiak) completely BLEW IT by extending carr and not taking a cutler or young or leinart

3. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

Never said great. I was actually selecting two QBs which are not "yet" pro bowl quality names and stating that they would be better than Carr.

It's a trade Carr thread, right?

It's obvious that you won't get a "great" QB for Carr. You are going to have a very tough time finding takers.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Having watched both Carr and Leinart extensively, I feel that Carr makes quicker decisions or at the least comparable. What's the evidence to the contrary?

Instead of talking about "getting it" let's talk about specific plays that Leinart has made that are different from any Carr has ever made in his career.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then why are we arguing about this? Especially when Carr is not the biggest problem on this team, by a long-shot.

Before last week, his performance was one of the only bright-spots in a sea of blackness... now, one bad game (in a week where everybody on the team had a bad game), and he should be kicked off the team.

Again, doesn't make sense.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironically, that was the same mistake this franchise made from day 1... attempting to start an expansion team off with a ROOKIE QB.

Once again... the drafting of Mario Williams was equivalent to what they should have done as an expansion team in 2003... draft Peppers.

Actually, looking at the talent from top to bottom (taking into account experience and career track records)... this team could be LESS talented than the expansion team we put together.

THAT is sad.

#146 Nick, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  7. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

Well, call it a rant - but I gave up on Carr a couple years ago. I simply think he doesn't play smart.

Clutch and tinwalters make valid points above.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rex Grossman looks pretty bad tonight... but he'd looked pretty good, on a GREAT defensive team, for the first part of the season after mediocre seasons before that.

How does he get evaluated?

9. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Leinart has been pretty damn good in his 2 starts so far, teams are gonna be sorry they passed on him. If Arizona ever gets an o-line to go along with all of their weapons and decent defense, they are going to be very good.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Carr is "completing the passes" too. That's why he's the 6th rated passer in the NFL this year. Before Sunday, he was #1.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I didn't want to start a new thread but have you guys ever seen carr in the shotgun??

i know that doesn't solve any major problems, but i recall carr at frenso was primarily a shotgun guy. after watching young this weekend and leinart tonight when the situation required it they went shotgun and produced both running and passing plays. a draw might be nice every now and then since conventional running plays aren't working.

it ticks me off when its third and 10+ and he is under center. usually by the time he finishes his drop his pocket has collapsed on one side or the other or completely. :mad:

and it's not the new regime because i saw this with capers too.
    :confused:

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I agree with ipaman.

NFL teams, as the west coast offense gained popularity, seem to have an ingrained bias against using the shotgun. The arguments against it are tht it's harder to do timing/rhythm type patterns typical of the west coast offense w/o the 3 step drop, and that it's harder to run out of. My counter is that on 3rd & long, you're not running anyway and everybody knows it so you might as well use the freaking shotgun and give your QB a better look at the field. Of course I have a shotgun bias since I used it like crazy in the first computer football game I ever owned and played relentlessly (4th & inches for the commodore 64....Shotgun Post to the TE worked almost constantly.)

13. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Everyone who is satisfied with Carr...... ENJOY

He's OK, and he's all we got.

Should have drafted VY :cool:

14. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I think right now I think Matt Leinart/VY/Reggie looks better at #1 than Mario

15. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

sure he's not what we expected, but how can everyone in houston be so high on carr for the first few games and so down on him after sunday? its going to be pretty hard to trade carr with that new contract that he has.

16. Luckyazn

We were 2-14 last year

We are 1-4 this year

Stop defending Mario for the next 4 years like most of you guys have about Carr when WE ALL KNOW them two are "NOT #1 draft pick guys"

2001- Vick
    2002- Carr
    2003- Palmer
    2004- Eli
    2005- A. Smith
    2006- VY/Culter/Leinart

so beside 05' it look like we came in the WRONG year to draft a QB! any other year we would have a "franchise qb"

We are just a mirror version of the Cleveland Browns .....

Carr might have a good QB rating but the fact is HE CAN"T LEAD THIS TEAM to wins. PUT IN SAGE!!!! and see what happen ...

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Success for the Texans-

4-12 record
    David Carr the #1 passer rating

sounds good to me

I hope we draft a defense next year

**** edit****
    I actually think we can win 3-5 more games but I am not sure why????

#157 rhester, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I concur

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Anyone who thinks they know this for a fact after five NFL games knows absolutely nothing about sports.

20. Luckyazn

Yeah that's what some people said about David Carr after 5 games ...... and some 4.5 years ago