1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Carr should be traded..........

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I am not sure the direction all of this is taking but the point again is SELLING HIGH.

Carr is good. He is enjoying a very good stretch of games. Will it ever come full circle for him in Houston? I doubt it. Where do we stand now? Breakup and rebuild. Those in charge should ensure that their egos do not get so much in the way. We really need to access where we are and the current projection of things. Something is definitely wrong - status quo is, imho, not the answer to fixing it.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Dude, because the subject matter of the thread IS DAVID CARR!

Like it or not, QB's get more credit for success and more blame for losses than anyone on the field. That doesn't mean I think that others aren't culpable as well...or even more culpable.

I think they need change all over the place. And if the salary cap allowed, I wouldn't hesitate to make a change at QB. I think we made a mistake by extending out his contract.

3. MadMax

I'm tired of the excuses, frankly. I realize many of them are legit. I'm just tired of it all.

4. msn

msn Member

Touché.

From whom? I don't see the media blaming DCarr.

So, where's all your (anyone's) posts pointing that out?

It's just that the facts don't bear that out.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Don't even look at David Carr then... look at every single other aspect of this team.

Why can't AJ catch 5 yard slants consistently in his fourth year after being the #3 pick of the draft?

Why does Dunta look worse as a 3rd year player, than he did during his near pro-bowl rookie year?

Would Jason Babin and Travis Johnson still be in the league if they weren't inexplicable 1st round picks?

Is a rookie head-coach really the guy you want leading a team that could actually be WORSE off (talent/depth/inexperience-wise) than they were during their expansion year?

When you have this many questions about individual players, individual components (o-line, d-line), individual coaches, individual GM's.... I don't think anybody is in the position to make simple "excuses" for anybody.

At that point, you're looking at a big steaming pile of facts/truths/unfortunates... way too complex to pin-point on just one component. And you soon realize that you're not just tired of David Carr... you're tired of the whole stinkin team that's wasted 5 years and built NOTHING.

6. msn

msn Member

If it's legit, it's not an excuse. (Guys call those facts "excuses" typically because they have no sound argument with which to counter.) Do you beleive DCarr is getting a free pass? If so, can you demonstrate how his performance is unimproved over the last four seasons?

Or are you tired of the fact that huge pieces of the offense are inept every year? For four years, it's been pass blocking. We work on that this year, and now the running has gone down the toilet. As tired of *that* as I am, I'm even *more* tired of the defense.

The very least of this team's problems is DCarr.

7. MadMax

i'm not gonna search out my posts for you. you can choose to believe me or not.

8. MadMax

EXACTLY!!!!

I'M TIRED OF THE WHOLE FREAKING TEAM!!! THE WHOLE ORGANIZATION!!!

(ummm..david carr is a part of that)

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm tired of this team making mistakes... everywhere. I'm tired of waiting for them to stop looking like an expansion team (which they still do). I'm tired of them not having any talent on the o-line. I'm tired of them always having questions when it comes to their coach, or their GM. I'm tired of this team formerly wasting high draft picks on nobodies (babin, TJ), or trading a bunch of picks to get washed-up players (Buchannon).

There are plenty of things to be tired of... you wouldn't have enough bandwith on this bbs to start threads on all of them.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, that's all I'm trying to say.

There are SO MANY other problems with this team/franchise. I don't understand why some people put it all on the QB, especially during a year in which he is 1 of maybe 3 players that are actually playing slightly above average and/or better than last year.

11. msn

msn Member

If you're telling me you have, I believe you. I asked because I legitimately don't remember any. And those goes for all those who are "Carr-hating" (and you're not a very good example of that, btw).

12. MadMax

yeah.. he's unimproved. he made strides in 2004..went backwards in 2005...we'll see how 2006 turns out.

i believe carr has a host of folks who make excuses for him at every turn. when he throws an INT, it's the running backs' fault because poor david had to throw too many passes. when he gets sacked, it's always the OL's fault, despite the fact the Texans looked at game tape last season and attributed about 1/3 of them to poor david.

i don't think i've ever seen a player more coddled. they never introduced any competition for him. they made excuses for him at every turn.

yes, the defense sucks. yes, the running game sucks. but that doesn't mean that Carr is good/great!!!???!!!!

whatever...i'm not trying to change your mind. i've seen enough. i had season tickets the first 3 seasons. it's a joke. a really bad joke with no punchline. and david carr is absolutelly, postively part of it. the absolution he gets from you guys as if he apart from the rest of the team is nothng short of funny.

13. MadMax

did you just say that again??

who in the world here thinks that if the Texans would just change out QB's it would all be different. i bet you can't find one.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yea... but "blaming" him is not the way to go about it.

In the end, David Carr didn't fail the Texans... the Texans have failed David Carr, and every other player they've drafted, signed, traded for, and coached.

I used to like to blame individual players, and individual components... but when that list started getting too long, I figured it could no longer be a coincidence.

Blaming individual players for the failure of this team is a waste of time... and highly inaccurate. They've failed as a team... and getting rid of parts that are still salvageable (even though you've already lost all faith in the guy) is not the best way to go about re-building (or in their case, just "building") anything.

15. MadMax

that frustrates the crap out of me. seriously...he's part of the problem, but it would be bad to blame him. we might hurt his feelings!!?? what would his wife think???

the most coddled athlete i've ever seen. i bet everyone else wishes they had excuses made for them like that.

"I'm an awful lawyer...but it's the firm I work for...ummm..they're not helping me grow. So it's their fault. Hire me anyway."

geez, that's a sweet gig.

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I am not against Carr.
    He is playing his best ball right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't rate him as high as Carlson Palmer or even Hasselbeck.

I for one just wish we hadn't extended him and we had drafted Vince Young.

I still like Vince Young. I might be wrong, but if I was rebuilding a 2-14 team with almost 'zero' talent (at best expansion team talent- thank you Charlie Casserly) I would start at the QB position.

Vince Young type talent comes along only so often. In my book he will be as good a QB as Palmer, P Manning and McNabb.

I just hope Kubiak and Co. can draft well, I like Ryans and Spencer (come on Mario).

This team needs talent in the worst way. Playmakers on both sides of the ball. I have hopes still that AJ will be a playmaker. So we still need a great running back, improved OL and a DEFENSE.

As far as Carr, take him or leave him, I already stated who I would rather have and I think he is having a good year.

I hate it when he doesn't anticipate his receivers out of the break that is a confidence timing issue and I don't like his timing on his deep throws.

But I admit he isn't in the bottom third of QB's and he certainly isn't in the top third either.

He's playing OK so far this season.

BTW- I was against picking Carr. I wanted Vick to stay in school so we could start out with him. I was thinking they should have traded that pick. Just like I wanted them to take VY or trade the pick this season.

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

There are two people that get the blame if a football team can't win, the coach and the QB. The coach was fired last season. Sorry, but it's the sad truth.

Is Carr getting unneccessarily bashed? Probably. If it's just a few people against the mob, however, the mob usually wins...

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who the hell is coddling him? I know the sensible people here have still admitted that he's not good... but also that part of the reason he's not good is because of the team he's on.

And that's besides the countless lesser sensible fans who've called into every show for the last year and a half calling for his head.

Also, if you were straight out of law school, and you went to a firm that was just formed... and you had no experience, the firm really had no experience, the firm didn't acquire established lawyers with proven track records to teach you, the firm went through 2-3 different directors in 5 years, and the whole time you'd made only minimal improvement... would people say "that guy is just bad, " or would they say "that guy is bad, but its not suprising considering the firm he's at."

David Carr isn't playing like historical #1 picks have played.... and that's not (nor should it be) suprising based on the team he's on. Not an excuse... its reality.

19. msn

msn Member

Wow. Were you drinking your beer for every TD/completion this year? I mean, wow. I'll take DC2006 over DC2005 every day of the week--twice on Sunday.

Yet you haven't once provided a solid counter to the FACTS presented.

Ummmm, if anyone ever said that then you have a point--that's stupid.

Myself and others acknowledged this last year before the Texans came out with that. But what's disingenuous here is that you and others are not acknowledging how much better--FAR better, he is in those same situations this year. Dear God, have you not noticed how rarely the man gets sacked this year?

Whatever. Capers/Casserly were blaming him for crap last year that *wasn't* his fault, and Kubiak has been in his face since he got here. Busting his chops in private, and talking about it afterward to the media.

It sure doesn't. How about Carr's completion numbers this year? How about his TD/INT ratio this year? How about how he's obviously reading blitzes better and spreading the ball around? You know what, his performance speaks for itself this year. He is moderately above average, and there is potential for more.

It *has* sucked. But the way fans act, you'd think bringing in VY would have instantly turned this franchise around--and THAT'S what is laughable.

And DCarr has not gotten "absolution" from me. I called him out on sacks that his fault last year, and I called him out for a lousy performance just yesterday. Your "absolution" statement is as much a hyperbole as my saying you blame the whole thing on Carr.

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Carr is not the problem.

The problem(s) are no running game and a very mediocre defense.

Those of you who are old (like me :D ) need to remember what Dan Pastorini was like early in his career...with marginal talent around him. Dan didn't make the playoffs until the Oilers drafted Earl Campbell. Carr won't make noise until he gets a running game to compliment the Texans passing game.