1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Cameron: Britain's EU Referendum to be held June 23

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It'll probably collapse the EU. Fans of multinational governments are probably suicidal right now.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yup. Ireland is the big winner out of this. In 10 years, I'm willing to bet a majority of the UK's financial services companies move to Dublin.

3. Major

Major Member

It's weird that you're anti-information? In general, on this board, geeimsobored is probably the single most knowledgeable person out there on the topic of demographics and subgroups and such when it comes to voting. We all can learn a lot from him.

In terms of this vote, I'm a bit stunned. I figured it would be like the Scottish vote - that the polls were close but when people actually are in the voting booth, the uncertainly would keep them from voting to leave.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Thank goodness I'm long UVXY and SH. Markets are going to get slammed tomorrow...

6. geeimsobored

I dont think it will collapse the EU. The EU still has tremendous value to most countries. Also the EU is harder to get out of for most countries. The UK was one of the few weird cases (with Denmark and Sweden) where they had a separate set of rules that made this easier. The UK isn't in the Eurozone so the economic consequences to the UK aren't quite as extreme.

The other thing is that the UK's economic dynamics and geography lend itself to a disconnect with the EU.

The bigger concern is separatism within the EU in my opinion. Scotland voted by a large margin to stay in the EU and that's impetus enough for the SNP to call for a second referendum. And the Irish Nationalists in Northern Ireland will use this as a rallying point as well. This is not a good thing for the regional makeup of the UK. Hell Plaid Cymru in Wales thinks this will help them with Welsh separatism as well.

One of the EU's goals is to counter local nationalism. This vote does the opposite. It gives voice to nationalism. And in the case of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, those nationalist voic. es were the ones who wanted to stay in the EU. That's a problem

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It's not the end of the world if the UK stays or leaves. This is a vote of no confidence against the EU no matter the results.

Until they run as independents (if Trump doesn't get the nom).

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's official: U.K. Leaves the eu

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Win for Leave confirmed

[​IMG]

massive hit to merkel. brilliant

10. Hustle Town

I understand the political motivations, but the economic ramifications are going to be terrible.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If/When the Brexit happens, it seems to me that the incentive for the rest of the EU, particularly countries that fear a further disintegration of the EU, is to make sure that Britain REALLY pays a heavy economic price so that the next country thinking about exiting EU will have something to think about.

So, the economy of Britain is gonna be ****ed for some time to come.

12. Hustle Town

Three questions:
    1. Will David Cameron resign?
    2. Will Scotland go for independence again?
    3. How bad will the market drop be tomorrow?

13. geeimsobored

For sure. Britain will not regain access to the open market easily. They'll have to pay up. The British think they'll get the deal that the Norwegians got. I highly doubt they'll ever get that close. In fact, the British signed away the best of both worlds in my opinion. They weren't part of the Eurozone but were part of the EU. The EU won't hand out that deal to anyone anymore.

David Cameron should go down as the worst PM in British history. The man played with fire and set a national forest fire in the process.

14. geeimsobored

1. Probably if he isn't forced out first. The only question is if he says f-you to UKIP and the rebel conservatives and calls for elections instead.
    2. Yes. I seriously think this is what the SNP wanted.
    3. Bad but nothing crazy. I'm not sure anyone was fully convinced that Remain would win after Brexit took a big lead a few days ago.

15. justtxyank

Nikkei has stopped trading after approaching 10% drop.

Pound is down 12%, lowest in thirty years

London down 9%

Dow futures down 4%

16. justtxyank

Lol at nothing serious in markets.

Financial bloodbath

17. justtxyank

Euro collapsing against dollar. Markets fear collapse of eu

18. geeimsobored

Ugh.. I'm not happy about going to work tomorrow. The UK clients will probably be sobbing in a corner somewhere. The EU clients will just yell a lot.

Freaking terrible day.

19. Major

Major Member

Currency markets are going nuts, but so far, the regular market is less bad than I expected. US markets are down about 4%, which is a terrible day certainly, but it seems like it could have been (and may still get) much worse. At the current levels, it would just be about a 2% drop from where the markets were a week ago.

20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Congratulations UK. The people are fed up with globalists. Next up Donald Trump!!!!!!!!