1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Cameron: Britain's EU Referendum to be held June 23

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Feb 20, 2016.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I wonder how much difference it will make in reality, for EU expats in Britain and for British expats in the EU (over a million, which is often forgotten). They already have a different currency and border controls (they are not within the Schengen zone). It's not like they will kick out all the EU expats after a Brexit. I think the most likely scenario is that a Brexit will happen, but that association agreements will be made where appropriate, similar to what is currently the case with Switzerland.

P.S.: I think the Brexit is mainly happening due to Merkel's failed policies. Fear of more Muslim immigration is a main driver for many in the UK to vote for the Brexit (which is misguided, because the Brexit isn't going to stop that).

2. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

The anti-immigrant sentiment in Britain is strong, even when it comes to Western EU nationals. It's a little disconcerting. I have a feeling Brexit will happen.

And ATW, you're right. Many people are also voting because of non-EU immigrants, which is weird. As you mentioned the UK is not in the Schengen zone and this isn't something Brexit will impact in the way that a lot of people assume.

The fact that the debate has been watered down to mud-slinging and being all about the problem with immigration says a lot, in my opinion. While immigration is a legitimate concern, seeing it come from a xenophobic and downright racist angle is scary.

I wonder how the negotiations will go after Brexit becomes a reality - can the EU afford to make favourable agreements with Britain?

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't think they can afford not to.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">52% Leave, 32% Remain, new online poll for USA Today <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Brexit?src=hash">#Brexit</a> <a href="https://t.co/iSrr83nXxU">https://t.co/iSrr83nXxU</a></p>&mdash; Louise Mensch (@LouiseMensch) <a href="https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/744151663095709696">June 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Hint: Angellist is an English site that curates data by manual input.

Would you choose Japan over America though? Lots of people in the 80s who would've considered. Probably very few people now.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Early exit polls suggest that Brits have successfully voted against British sovereignty by a narrow margin.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Looks like they made the right decision.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Early exit polls suggest that Brits have successfully voted against recession by a narrow margin.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I suppose how you phrase it depends on what is important to you. I'd certainly hope the US would battle a potential recession in order to hold on to their sovereignty.

10. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

When half-a-world away xenophobic assholery bites into your portfolio.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

a good way to put it. i've let go of quite a few things in the last few months anticipating this. i guess we will see.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Brexit winning.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Yeah this is looking bad. The Pound Sterling is tanking and the indicators are all looking like Brexit will win.

All the UK companies (and EU companies that have heavy business in the UK) that I work with are freaking out right now since their businesses all rely on EU open skies agreements that are going to get thrown into doubt.

The closest moment to this in my lifetime was the Quebec secession vote in the 90s and the impact of this is way bigger than that vote. Also the UK Conservative Party will disintegrate after this and UKIP will start poaching seats. Combine that with Labour being anemic at best and you have a recipe for chaos.

Also I have a feeling that the SNP purposely botched the remain campaign in Scotland in order to justify another referendum (which they'll probably win this time around). What a mess.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

United States of Europe might be a good idea but I don't think the UK should be involved. The protectionist trade laws already has japanese/chinese goods far more expensive there.

UKIP has one MP. With a BREXIT they will lose power because all of their MEPs will become unemployed. You are freaking out a BIT. Nothing will even happen for two years at a minimum. This sort of scare tactic BS is really pathetic. I don't think there will be a BREXIT but the doom and gloom is total BS.

So what? They lost by 10 points last time.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Remain ahead now - Glasgow and Oxford helped. Man, this country is divided. Close race.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It has evened out 50/50.

Crisis averted. Currency traders are winning??

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Not really. The math is bad because areas that were supposed to vote for brexit are winning by larger than expected amounts and consequently remain votes have underperformed even in areas where they were expected to win.

The math is still bad. But its early and of course things can change. Remain has to outperform the expected vote in London to close this out at the current rate. I'm still thinking brexit wins based on current numbers. The remain vote is underperforming too consistently.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

So urban areas are supporting the exit, while rural areas are wanting to stay?

And conservatives want to leave? I'm a bit (a lot apparently) confused about where the lines are drawn.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's more along class and education. The higher the education level, the more likely that people want to stay in. Urban areas - depends on the makeup of the population. Wandsworth (Southwest London) overwhelmingly voted to stay in, and so did my council.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That's where I've stayed at the 3 times I've been to London. Wandsworth once, and close to Hyde Park twice (I guess that's SW London also) Freakin nice neighborhoods I know that.