1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Blatt Fired

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DorianTurk, Jan 22, 2016.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Thanks for posting this, lars. Damning, eye-opening stuff. I don't know if Blatt's a great head coach, but it doesn't look like he ever had much of a chance.

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Because lebron knows lue either understands more or knows lue will do whatever lebron wants.
    Looks like he David didnt have any balls to implement his overseas system or speak up to the big 3 either...

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Quick question do you think Tyron Lue is what's best for the Cavs?

Because all I see here is everyone pointing out the negatives of Blatt without talking about who they replaced him with. You think rookie hc tyron lue would be better equipped to win a ring with the cavs than Blatt? Even if the Euroleague is different from the NBA a HC job there is still better than no HC experience, and Lue isn't a lifer like coach Spo or Bickerstaff who already spent so many years as an assistant coach, he just started coaching July 2013. Two years coaching and now he's supposed to do a better job than Blatt?

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

The cavs desperately need shooters, they try to play that gritty basketball which wont beat gsw or sa. They need to build that team to beat western teams that run. If they get another stand shooter like Jones it will space them out real good.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok, so Blatt didn't have balls to oppose big 3 but Lue is brought in because he will do whatever Lebron wants? Aren't they doing the same thing? Point is LBJ goofed up, and this will bite him in the ass you can see Cavs whupped by Bulls when they used to handle those guys easily before.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Who knows what, if anything happened in the locker room. However, I don't put much of the blame for our struggles early in the season on the coaches. Not having DMo or Josh Smith to start the season was a major blow. Also, trying to incorporate our new players, especially Ty Lawson, has been been rather difficult. We were horrible those first eleven games. But, I think Les and Morey panicked when they fired McHale so quickly.

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Give them 5 games to workout some things and get off the felton diet and will ve able to tell. Lebron is so good, coaching wont matter too much for him, being in the east helps a lot also..

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Whoa boy.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Almost Harden-like.

But nah, listen to his supporters here. Lebron can do no wrong.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I haven't had much negative to say about Blatt except that this simply was not working out and it was plain to see he was not going to be in Cleveland long term. So what's the point of keeping this charade going? Better to move on and try something new, and it's Lue for better or worse.

I think it was a bad idea to give him a multi-year deal. But I do like 2 things I've heard from him: play Love at the elbow a lot more (which I have mentioned here since last year, as well as nearly everyone else who watches basketball) and play at a faster pace. This plodding half court stuff was reminiscent of Brown's tenure.

In fact Love and Irving were already going rogue and working together on pushing the pace themselves in practice last week because they felt it was necessary. And if you read between the lines it meant they felt Blatt was not attentive in this regard.

I think the verdict is still out on Blatt being a success in the NBA, and that's a complement. I don't totally hold the firing against him, and I don't think anyone else can say with authority that he will be a good or bad NBA coach based on his resume or his time in Cleveland.

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Cute.

Winning an NBA championship in Cleveland will give him 10000000000x the power or money he gets for netting TT a few extra million a year on his contract. Think about it.

There's plenty of obvious stuff to criticize LeBron for, but this line of argument is just downright dumb.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

wow...this is like 100 times worse than the Harden defense video.

13. Awesome

Awesome Member

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/OeUwJ7HtLUO/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

WOJ, the guy that's been writing hit opinion pieces about LeBron for years?

You mean everyone assumes it. But thanks for clarifying that there is nothing to support LeBron owning Klutch or receiving commissions from it. As I mentioned earlier, I do think LeBron is using his clout to help his friend get paid. I have no issue with that. Agent's rely on players to help them get other players.

Thompson is not untradeable and does not have negative value. Our GM gave Asik $15M when he wasn't as big of a contributor as Thompson, and had no issue trading his fat contract under the old CBA for a draft pick. His contract will be the norm for average bigs when the cap increases.

He would. You must not be aware of how much bigs make in this league. Teams weren't knocking down his door because he was a restricted free agent.

Too many teams to name. Again, you may want to look up what bigs actually make in this league.

#314 Icehouse, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  15. Icehouse

If you can't win over the teams franchise player or get him to respect you then isn't that a sign that you aren't the right coach for that team?

We don't know if Lue is inferior on the NBA level. Doesn't he have more experience on a bench that Blatt on the NBA level? I mean, Lue was smart enough to know not to call a timeout and blow a playoff game, right?

Players that are serious about winning have had coaches fired before. See Magic Johnson.

16. Icehouse

Wouldn't the people with the best idea on if Lue could control the players be the folks in the Cavs org? What had Riley proven before the Lakers did the same for him? Or Phil Jackson in Chicago? Or Rudy T here? Or JB before we let McHale go?

What do you know about Lue to say he isn't capable?

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Straight out dirty :eek:

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

That video really is Harden type effort, but it's not shocking or eye opening. It's the same as how the players stopped working hard early in the season and seemed not to respond to McHale any more.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've always been a Lebron fan generally, but its getting harder and harder. He makes disastrous "personal" decisions that impact the game over and over. It's all from the passive aggressiveness. It's just as annoying as a Kobe Bryant over aggressiveness.

And its disheartening to see players like Lebron and Kobe held up as the "type of attitude" needed to be leaders and win championships. The sure Kobe is an ass, but he's the ultimate competitor type comments.

Duncan, Steph, Dirk, Wade, Hakeem ... these seem to be all time greats and winners who just got how to be forceful and impactfull without being disrespectful or asses.

Sure, it wasn't a great pairing from the get-go... Blatt and Lebron, especially given Lebron's motivation to be in charge.

But the Blazers game is the type of thing that is just unacceptable and disrespectful to the game, to the fans and to his success. If you don't want to try, don't play, and give back all the money you make to the fans.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Just became a Lebron fan last season, I'm reminded about the type of crap that turned me against him now. He is the model athlete both on and off the court (excusing this) so I really hate to see him act in such a manner.

Blatt was a good guy, he's still gonna get paid and will hopefully land a job somewhere else.

There's also a bigger element a lot of us are missing. I don't want to get too much into it because it overlaps with the D&D, but it has been discussed before. The dismissal of white coaches by certain players, specifically so they can be coached by a black coach. Chris Paul demanded it when Doc was hired, and it seems Lebron is the same way. If he was truly trying to hire Mark Jackson and wanted Lue to replace Blatt I'd say its pretty indicative of his attitude.