1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Andersen a Possibility at Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Saw this post on a Hawks Forum. It's talking about a spanish-language article that mentions the rumor/possibility of the Rockets trading for the rights to euroleague center David Andersen.

Don't know much about Andersen. I guess it would fulfill the hint that Morey would "trade" for our replacement center, but not in the way most people were thinking. Looking at his profile/stats, they don't look that impressive. And he's already 29. If they did sign Andersen, seems like it would be as a stop-gap big body.

I dunno. Not sure how credible this article is.

Original spanish text/link under the spoiler for our Spanish speaking members.

Los Atlanta Hawks han realizado una oferta a David Anderson para que se incorpore al equipo esta temporada, pero según apuntó ayer una fuente esa propuesta es vista por el actual ala-pívot del Barça como insuficiente. Es casi seguro que la franquicia de Atlanta, que acaba de renovar por bastante dinero a Mike Bibby y Zaza Pachulia, no pueda presentarle una mejor proposición al jugador al no disponer de suficiente dinero por debajo del tope salarial, por lo que Andersen ha pedido a Atlanta que traspase sus derechos a otra franquicia –probablemente los Houston Rockets– que tenga más interés o disponibilidad en ficharle. En cualquier caso, Andersen tiene hasta el próximo miércoles, día 15 de julio, para comunicar al Barça si se queda o se va a la NBA

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/20090711/53741966043/noticia/terrence-morris-atado.html

#1 m_cable, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
    14 people like this.
  2. Rocketfanatic2

I agree with you, stats don't look very impressive. Also, as you said, he's already 29. Looks like he has the ability to shoot 3's and free throws, however rebounding stats don't lure me towards getting him. But, he's a big body and can maybe be physical. I see him as being risky to go after.

3. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

4. tested911

tested911 Member

5. tested911

tested911 Member

Heres a recent Vid

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fa-y6YgQKEQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fa-y6YgQKEQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. Rocketfanatic2

7. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Looks similar to GSW C Andris Biedrins.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I don't know much about him, but those YouTube clips look decent.

And yeah, I'd rather have a young center with potential, but beggars can't be choosers. We need a center and if he's the best we can get, were better off with him than without.

9. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

Before I throw in my two cents, I didn't know much about this player until entering this thread:

As many as pointed out, his stats aren't that impressive. The video tape I was actually impressed with. There are certain things you can't teach that are valuable, and he has a lot of them:
    +Athletic for a big guy (watching him move and drive surprised me)
    +Great shooting touch- he looked like he possessed a shooting stroke similar to yaos.
    +Variety of low post moves (ok this can be taught but he already has quite a few)
    +Being Aggressive

What I am worried about him transfering to the nba (aside from the obvious change in speed and style of the game):

Defense- he isn't used to defending nba players
    Endurance- If he plays for us, he is going to have to play major minutes for 82 games (plus playoffs)

and most importantly, attacking the boards, chasing after loose balls, being a Luis Scola kinda guy- we need him to do that.

From the little I saw, I like this kid more than a lot of the unathletic 7 footers people are throwing out there on other threads that I believe are all complete garbage. Maybe take a chance on him? I wouldn't be opposed to it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Pete the Cheat

here are a couple interesting links I found on draftexpress

they have him ranked number 11 "right held" for international players

also, the first article in his player profile looks similar to the translated version the OP has provided us...no Rockets mention in this one though

11. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

2 questions.

first, is he injury prone?

second, can he score and play defense?

12. Garner

Garner Member

he is going to make the team even uglier.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This makes sense.

1. He seems like a banger, not some skin-and-bones tall guy that can be rattled with a simple bump.

2. He has the exact amount of unknown and intrigue for Rockets fans to get excited about his potential, and for us to defer to Morey knowing better than us the true talent level of this guy.

3. His age is up there, but then again so was Scola's (29-30? now, 27 when we acquired him). He also has a similar record of dominating in Euroleague before attempting to come to the NBA.

4. He would qualify under Morey's definition of a traded-for acquisition, and he would also not cost too much to obtain. Low risk, high potential reward, and if nothing works out we start back over in the 2010 free agency.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Anyone else proud to see the Rockets having players #12 (Eliyahu), 21 (Leunen), and 24 (Newley)?

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The good thing about Andersen, at least from our speculation point of view, is that there's a timetable to get something done for him. He's got a optout deadline for July 15th. That's only a couple days away. If something is going to go down, it'll be soon. If July 15th comes and goes without a deal, we can scratch David Andersen off our list.

16. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

Sign him, this is exactly what we need. A big man with some hustle, skills, experience, and won't apparently brake the bank. I like his outside shooting touch also, opens the lane for Brooks, etc., and stretches the defenses.

17. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

he looks like he likes to put the ball on the floor. He seems quick for someone his size and has pretty good handles for someone that size. Also appears to have a nice j

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Sign him. We need a center. Plus, he looks like he would be a great backup for Yao, once he returns.

19. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Get him, he looks like a nice player. For all we know he could be another Luis Scola pickup.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Wow, I like it. Make it happen Morey. Then Yao comes back ready for the playoffs next year and .................championship............... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.