1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[David Alridge]: Lakers want Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fya, Mar 18, 2005.

1. fya

fya Member

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/11164974.htm

Lakers' misplaced mojo won't be easy to get back
    By David Aldridge

In a season in which the Suns and the Sonics and the Mavericks and the Wizards are running up and down the floor and LeBron James is lighting up cold winter nights, the Lakers are boring.

But because Bryant is still a great player, the Lakers aren't going to fall nearly far enough to get a high lottery pick. Nor are teams exactly lining up to do deals with L.A. that will accelerate its resurgence.

The Lakers keep looking toward 2007, when forward Brian Grant's $15.4 million salary comes off the books, and you keep hearing that they covet Houston's Yao Ming, who could be an unrestricted free agent by then.

OK, imagine you are the 7-foot-6 Chinese center.

You're already playing with Tracy McGrady, who is every bit Bryant's offensive equal. You're in a city that has embraced you (and where your parents have just opened a restaurant). And you're playing for an organization that has been loyal to you, not complaining when you spend every off-season playing for China.

Your team is rolling and finally looks as if it's got the right mix of inside and outside play to pose a real challenge in the West. And because of salary-cap rules, it can pay you up to $30 million more than the Lakers.

Why would you go to Los Angeles?

Yes, there are probably more endorsement dollars in Los Angeles. But if your team is an also-ran, are you going to get them?

Right now, all the Lakers can sell is hope. Their executives float rumors that Jackson will return next season and make everything better, and they say players want to be in L.A. But that's the same type of thing the Bulls tried to foist on their fans after Jordan left, and all the team produced for six years was abysmal records.

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The choice between playing with T-Mac and Kobe appears to be a no-brainer, at this point.

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

What team is not going to want him?

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I said it once, I say it again....

Yao is and ALWAYS will be a Houston ROCKET!!!

:D :D :D

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Well according to people like Pass 1st, Shoot 2nd or Summer Song Giver, noone would probably want to waste valuable cap space on the underachieving Yao

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

word.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

will he ever be an unrestricted FA? next year is his 4th year option that we picked up, at some point between this offseason ('05) and next ('06) he will sign a max extension locking him up for at least 6 years.

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

thank you Aldridge for not being like 99% of the other sports writers and citing the "asian population" as an argument.

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

If this team keeps playing the way it is now there would be no reason for him to leave.

He'll make the most money available with the Rockets.

He is comfortable with this city.
    Can you imagine him trying to drive in LA?

The bigger city = more endorsements = a load of crap.

I can't believe someone as talented as Aldridge would even bring that up.
    Yao has had to turn down endorsement offers. He is one of a kind and will always have people knocking at his door. Among others he has Gatorade, McDonalds, Reebok, Tag Hauer watches, Apple computers. What more does the guy need? Does he need to go to LA so he can make quality movies like Shaq did? Can you really see Yao wanting to do that?

Unless this team really starts to tank and fall apart his contract year, he will never leave...unless it's to go back to China to stay for good.

10. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Thx for the find fya!

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Exactly. It's not as if Yao is going to run around town and hang with the other Asians. From all accounts, Yao likes to stay home and away from the crowds. He said on his interview with Ahmad last week that he can go to Best Buy hear to by games and dvds and not be bothered. In China he's swarmed.

12. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

maybe a move to LA would spark Yao's rap career...

13. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I just heard Jim Rome talking about how the lakers are looking to make a move at Yao in '07. For the most part I think the guy is a bonehead, but the guy pretty my much said the same thing Aldridge wrote.
    He said who is going to want to play with Kobe, maybe he likes the smaller market, maybe he likes Houston ( he being Yao).

14. rememberPete

rememberPete Contributing Member

I know this is unlikely... but does anyone have a video file of part 1 of the "Acess Ahmad" interview with Yao last weekend. I missed it, and I really love hearing him give interviews in English.

Thanks!

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

[Clutch]: Rockets want LeBron, KG.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am glad Chavro is not our GM.

17. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I sure hope Yao isn't going anywhere. He fits in well here and has unrealized potential that he can take advantage of HOPEFULLY within the next year.

Now here is a double edge sword: if Yao ponies up with the effort this post season, and if we get through the Spurs en route to the Finals, Yao will have helped us while setting himself up for a huge payout.

I've always been worried about the Chinese taking so much of Yao's salary. I sure hope he doesn't start looking for ways to get some extra money.

18. Toast

Toast Member

I wonder if Kobe's civil lawsuit being settled out of court will make LA more attractive to Yao. :rolleyes:

I swear, I can't think of a team more egocentric than the Lakers. Everything anyone else in the league does is a reaction to the Lakers.

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I've been hearing through my sources, the Rockets don't want KG. They do think Tim Duncan would solve the power forward problems, though.

20. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I want Heather Graham.