1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Aldridge: Source says not a chance Dwight stays in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 25, 2012.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

We have a chance to rebuild now WOTHOUT taking a major step back! If we have the pieces to land the 5th and 8th picks we should do that and use those picks on two quality players... In this draft you really can't go wrong in the top 10. The 8th pick in this draft could be a top 3 in most... Take advantage this opportunity and start drafting future stars without tanking.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just do it, what I don't want is another long slew of "Well we tried" spin coming from the Rockets.

DD

3. ThaShark316_28

That's just it, fam....

The owner ain't about to sign off on it.

4. faraza84

faraza84 Member

if we get him I could see them throwing a MEET Dwight pep rally thing trying to soften him up but man it could get really awkward. Atleast Mcgrady was happy about it if i remember correctly.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What are they supposed to do besides "trying"? Literally put a gun to the other team owner's head?

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Robinson will most likely go #2, certainly unavailable by #5. But I agree, I see this draft really as 2 deep in players you can try to build around, with Robinson being one of those. Potentially the best player in the draft. That also means even top 10 picks outside #1 and #2 are expendable, especially for someone like Howard.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

But we aren't going to have our current team next year. If we can acquire the 5th and 8th pick and add them to a team with Dragic, Parsons, and Motiejūnas, then we have a pretty good young nucleus to build around. The time is right to finally start fresh with young talent.

1 person likes this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As I said before: If Dwight doesn't end up in Brooklyn, what reasons do Deron Williams have to stay there? If Deron Williams does not re-sign in Brooklyn in 2012 (and, instead goes to, say, the Mavs), what reason does Dwight Howard have to go there in 2013?

One of them chicken and egg questions.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What does a trade for Howard do?

If he stays you are a contender for a few years at least.

Its unlikely that this team with DH12 would be anywhere near the lottery as it was on the fringe of the playoffs with a big hole in the middle.
    So you spent your assets and send the following years non-lottery pick to NJ to satisfy the Twill deal.

Basically it sets you back a couple years if he bolts but you are left with ... a deep lottery team once he does leave. So the tank crowd would finally get their wish.

I dont think you are going to get near fair value by flipping him .... You have no leverage. You are going to get 10 cents on the dollar - See Lebron leaving Cleveland.
    Not to mention the team that wins the trade is the team that gets the best player.

I cant see anyone walking away from $25m-$30m .... especially when you consider the fact that many of these idiots are flat broke within five years of leaving the league ....
    If I were Morey , I'd play hardball , if I win , good we have a contender. If I lose , I took my shot and now we fall deep into the lottery.

At this point in time , I'd rather not make the trade for DH12 if I was able to aquire two top 10 picks. I'd just go young having control of those players movement for at least two contract periods should they turn out to be worth matching offers for.
    My issues with DH12 are about his health , having back issues myself .... I know how painful they can be and how you can be rendered useless - Thats bad news for a guy who rely's upon athleticism. Without the back issues , I make this deal in a heartbeat.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Exactly.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Sigh! I have to admit it: You have just voiced my greatest fear. This has Les' fingerprints all over it. He thinks, no he KNOWS that a move like this will play out well to the Rocketsheep. Nevermind the fact that it will set the organization back years. You'd think that after going down this route with Pippen, Barkley, Griffin and Tmac he'd have gotten an F'ing clue by now but that is just not Les' style.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Basically sums up where I stand on the Howard deal. Morey understand that if Dwight Howard comes here and we win with him, then there's a good chance this becomes his optimal situation. Especially when we can give him more money.

13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Exactly! 1-2 years We could potentially have a rotation of:

Dragic/???
    Waiters/Lee
    Parsons/Bud or Morris
    Scola/Motie or Pat
    Drummond/Camby

If you don't like Drum or Waiters you could go with rivers, Leonard, PJ, or Lamb. If we get lucky we could go with Beal, Barnes, or MKG

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Houston probably leaked the info that Dwight wouldnt stay in Houston.

Nice one Morey.

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

You think they haven't talked about where they wanna end up? They both know the end game is Brooklyn or Dallas... I think Brooklyn is the most likely.

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

Some Rocket fans will not be happy no matter what the Rockets do.

17. ThaShark316_28

Real ****ing talk. Get sick of folks on here getting mad that we couldn't finish a trade. Don't it take two sides to AGREE to a deal?

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Let me remind you of a few things. First, the second Rockets championship took a risk by bringing a big name in Drexler and it worked. That had the owner's fingerprints all over it, too. Second, the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers won titles recently by using the trade and re-load model. It's not as if bottoming out and having several years of lottery picks works, either. Count how many lottery picks the Kings, Wizards and Clippers had on them over the years. They got multiple high lottery picks and still sucked for years. It was only by swinging for the fences and getting a proven star that the Clippers became relevant.

19. faraza84

faraza84 Member

i hope they dont try to stick big baby or Turk along with him.

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Sorry bro, immediately thought of this guy.

[​IMG]