1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Aldridge: Source says not a chance Dwight stays in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 25, 2012.

1. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I would've kept that K.I.S.S. snowglobe though.:grin:

1 person likes this.
  2. Raven

Raven Member

Excellent.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

"... a source with knowledge of Howard’s thinking said Monday that there was “not a chance” Howard would be persuaded to remain in Houston if traded there, and would leave next summer to sign elsewhere."

Really good journalism ESPN. Way to find a source familiar with his thinking? Whatever that means.

4. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

He changes his tune the second Deron signs here and Deron signs here the second that Dwight gets traded here.

It's that simple.

5. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

really? trade for him
    he is going to help us tank

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I mean NBA.com :)

7. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

you guys sure this is not from the Morey camp? :p
    now we can pay the Magics less ;)

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Interesting, I see exactly the opposite.

Here's what we know:

- Howard wanted to be traded to NJ at the trade deadline last year.

- Houston was willing to trade for Howard without a guarentee of an extension.

Here's what we heard:

- Howard was going to be dealt to Houston so he opted in for another year.

- Howard again wants to go to NJ.

Let's think about this:

If Howard wanted to be in NJ so badly then why didn't he just allow himself to be traded to Houston and then simply sign with NJ in the offseason? He would have been here for around 12 weeks. Seems like the most straight forward way to get to NJ. Additionally, if Howard could simply pout and force Houston to trade him then doesn't is seem more likely that he would have done that last season rather than opting in?

Well, one possible explanation is that Houston might call his bluff and refuse to trade him. That would leave him with the option of resigning in Houston or leaving $30m on the table. Howard's opt-in rather than coming to Houston appears to indicate that he is not going to walk away from $30M. It also indicates that he thinks he has a better chance of getting/forcing Orlando to trade him to his prefered destination.

Jerry West has already recommended that GMs call the players bluff because he doesn't believe that a player or an agent will walk away from $30M. That's a whole lot of money, even to a guy like Dwight Howard. It's also very different than Wade and Bosh taking $1.5 million less on their starting salaries.

Would Morey call Howard's bluff? Would Howard really walk away from $30M? Nobody can say for sure, but it's certainly not the sure thing that many paint it to be.

#68 aelliott, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    4 people like this.
  9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I bet the source Is a kindergarten teacher they would be familiar with his kind of thinking!

1 person likes this.
  10. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I'd trade for him no matter what and then use whoever isnt in that deal for Gasol. Trade our picks, future picks, K-Mart, Lowry, Scola, D-Mo or Patterson, C-Bud, Morris and cash/ trade exceptions to acquire those two.. Does anyone know how much money we would be left with to sign Deron if we somehow got Howard and Pau??

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Are you willing to bet the next 5-10 years on this DD? Because what you are advocating is that the Rockets put together a package that will go a long way toward rebuilding the Magic while renting this guy for one year and effectively squandering their own chance to rebuild by passing up a deep draft class. Even if Morey trades for Howard just to call his bluff, there is NO way anyone can be sure he'll buy into staying on to play for the glory that is the Houston Rockets. All he'll have to do is offer up a minimal effort on (and off) the court ala Lamar Odom. Shoot, I can see his back giving "problems" at the most inopportune of times. Sorry, but I just don't see him buying whatever Morey and McHale will be trying to sell because there is no incentive for him to want to be here. They do this and Howard leaves then they will have effectively cut off their collective noses just to call Howard's bluff. The last time they traded with Orlando, they ended up getting screwed through no fault of their own because MeMac physically broke down. This time, they will be screwing themselves.

2 people like this.
  12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Not sure why you think Howard takes us to the WC finals. What players are we going to be able to surround Howard with? Will we be able to flip Howard for something as good as the 5th and 8th pick? What if his back starts hurting again, are teams going to want to part with top talent or picks for a damaged player? I know people are impatient and want an instant fix, but acquiring Howard could potentially delay our rebuilding process by years.

13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Some of you sound pathetic! Youre so desperate for a superstar that you are willing to set the franchise back multiple years just for one season of a superstar.

Those saying he'll change his mind once DWill signs here... Go you guys not think that they have been talking?? Neither wanna play in Houston so why waist time trying to convince them to when we could make these trades into the top 10 and start fresh WITHOUT taking a major step back!

2 people like this.
  14. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I'm surprise no one mention that he also said the Rockets wanted another draft pick and might deal Kev Martin for the 18th pick owned by the wolves. I dunno, thats kind of a low value.

15. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

@AlexKennedyNBA

If Rockets land Dwight Howard, they would then try to acquire a second star player to put next to him. They believe he'd stay if given help.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
    The Rockets also believe that Hakeem Olajuwon's relationship with Dwight Howard could help them keep Howard in Houston after next year.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This. My feelings exactly.

18. Egghead

Egghead Member

Alex Kennedy is just making up stuff

19. ThaShark316_28

Can't get much for K-Mart after he destroyed his trade value a season ago.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
    With that said, I don't think Howard would sign a long-term deal in Houston. I see where the Rockets are coming from, but I think he'd walk.