1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[David Aldridge] David West to Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's gotta be an old, short PF that doesn't play any defense, can't shoot 3's and loves to launch long 2's all game long that Morey can sign to keep pace with the Spurs getting West.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

So he pays for his women?

3. malakas

malakas Member

are you serious?
    Basketball is not A FREAKING GAME for them! It's their life, their love and their job. They are not just fans like you.

Maybe you should go and cheer for Rose or smth.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Not enough star power in the SW Division.

LerBon needs to join the Pelicans and Durant should go to the Grizz.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Not how it works. There's a ~2.5 bil pool of money that has to go to players each year, and it will all go to players. Whether West and Duncan take 50 mil or 1 mil from that pool makes no difference. They take less, other players get more.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's a good second unit, but I think last year's was better when Mills was healthy. Mills, Manu, Bonner, Baynes, Belinelli, Joseph, and Diaw was a very impressive bench. That was the key to their success last year. There were plenty of games(including the last 2 against the Rockets and several in the Clippers series) where the starters got off to horrible starts and the bench came in and immediately erased the deficit.

I do think that'll flip around this season. We'll see the starters do better and the bench won't have to get them back into games as often. The key though remains their health. When Mills was out and Parker was banged up(or fat), Joseph stepped up. When Kawhi had his mysterious injury, Belinelli and Bonner stepped in.

Now they have very little margin for error because of their age and weaker bench. If everyone is healthy and playing well, they'll be a dominant team. But if they lose Parker, Duncan, Kawhi, or even Mills for any extended period of time, they could be in deep doo-doo.

7. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Seems like you as a "fan" don't value winning at all. Why do you even follow a sports team and spend time on a message board devoted to a sports team?

If you think a guy who has made $75M in his career is dumb for taking a $1.4M contract for a chance at achieving the goal most players are trying to achieve, then you're the moron.

If David West wins a title and regrets this decision 20 years from now, that means he was HORRIBLE at managing his money. In that situation, he would have plenty of regrets and that one should be low on his list.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I understand people shaking their heads at West cutting his salary to about 10% of what it was slated to be.

On the one hand, it's really cool that he wants a championship that badly. On the other hand, how special is a championship when you're like the sixth best player and you only hung out with the org for like 9 months before hoisting the trophy? (shrug) I'll never know -- that's for sure.

If the Spurs can't win this year, they are a complete implosion punchline for all eternity. No pressure though.

9. pippsux

pippsux Member

If we don't at least sign Josh Smith we are going to have a tough time repeating what we just did.

Spurs are loaded.
    Mavs look good too.
    We have add a nice piece and resign Smoove.

10. boiler

boiler Member

So you think they're done adding players?

11. pippsux

pippsux Member

But Damn I can't front....spurs look great.

12. hlcc

hlcc Member

Just proves my point, very very very screwed up priorities. It's no wonder that 60% of NBA players becomes bankrupt 5 years after retiring.

Actually I do have more respect for someone like Rose that's willing to come out and say they value their life after basketball (30-40 years) over temporary success on the court than someone like West.

It blows my mind how these players are willing to bend over backwards while sacrificing a great deal of $$ personally while the billionaire owners have absolutely nothing to lose.
    "Come on over David and take a 90% pay cut!"
    " You earn less $$, but I'll earn more $$, and we can both win a championship"
    "See, win-win!"

13. count_dough-ku

Technically no. I think they're required to add a few more players to fill out the roster. But unless there are other vets out there willing to play for peanuts, this is it for significant additions.

14. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Its a stunning decision. When he didn't pick up that 12M option, I said he's got a long term 50M deal guaranteed with the Knicks.

I hope West gets his ring this year. I can't remember anyone opting out to sign for the vets min like he's done.

15. boiler

boiler Member

I don't know much about Spurs' salary situation. Do they still have a MLE and other exceptions?

16. Madclownpacasum

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hope this is sarcasm that I'm missing

18. hlcc

hlcc Member

I guess you can say i'm not a "true fan" for not wanting to take significant personal sacrifice just for the sake of of a team that I don't own winning especially considering my personal sacrifice is helping someone much richer than me get richer.

19. count_dough-ku

I don't think so. I think their 2.8 mil exception will be used on Manu. They could only offer West the veteran's minimum. That's why the rest of the roster will likely be scrubs, rookies, or washed up vets unless they can find someone else like West out there who'll take way below their market value in pursuit of a ring.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think West is as good a fit there as a backup as Tiago was. Tiago gave you more defense, better "role", can play PF and C.

But that doesn't matter. They moved Tiago to get LMA.

LMA, Duncan, Diaw, West >>>>>>> Duncan, Diaw, Splitter, Baynes