1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[David Aldridge] David West to Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jul 6, 2015.

1. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Why does nobody ever do that for the Rockets?? Just give the Spurs the championship, trade Dwight and let Capela start.

2. hlcc

hlcc Member

They are morons in my eyes even when it works out and they do win a championship. When somebody values winning at a game this much,, they have some pretty screwed up priorities.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't blame him for leaving the Pacers. Although I will note that they were within a game or two of the Finals two straight seasons before last year's injury-riddled campaign, so it's not like he's bailing on a Knicks-like organization.

I do think however that if this truly was about valuing a ring over millions of dollars, he still could've and should've gone with the Warriors or Cavs. He would've earned more money(state income taxes notwithstanding) and had an easier shot at the Finals.

4. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I like Kenny Smith, Shaq and Barkley will disagree. You can ask many retired NBA stars and more than you think would give up one of their big contracts for a real chance at a ring.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if we don't at least get back to the WCF, fegan will probably convince him to bolt next summer anyways

6. Airdough

Airdough Member

He fits the Spurs style of play more so if all else is equal in his mind of winning a title, he'd rather go where he has the best chance to contribute towards that goal versus just being someone who gets a ring.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He fits with the Warriors too. In fact, he could've easily taken Speights' spot.

8. Mr. Space City

yeah but hibbert and lance are gone so the pacers are basically done as a contender.

i'm not sure what how west feels lebron but it seems to me he doesn't particularly like him.

basically the spurs and warirors give him the best shot i guess he just trust pop and their style and how they conserve players to me. i dunno tho.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, you can't eat rings but you can buy a hell of a lot of rings with $12 million.

Now he set the market for himself at veteran minimum for the rest of his career.

Dumb, dumb move.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the Spurs just got a bit younger, but their interior defense outside of old man Duncan and LMA is just garbage.

11. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Mills was hurt or recuperating most of last season - by accounts he's healthy now, David West is now the FOURTH big instead of Aaron Baynes - actually many nights instead of Jeff Ayers, since Splitter spent so much time on IR.

A second unit of Mills, Manu, (Kyle) Andersen, West & Diaw looks pretty tough, IMO.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

See: Smith, Josh

13. malakas

malakas Member

The guy has principles and his own priorities. I love how people call him a moron for this. He was angry at the Pacers organisation and at Bird and he wanted out. He put happiness and chance of success at his craft over money. If that's moronic then I'm sorry for you for not being able to understand that some people look at life in other ways than your own and it's not only about the cash.

14. hlcc

hlcc Member

That to me just means some very very screwed up priorities. Is winning at a freaking game that important? When players take a significant paycut, they are thinking more about their "legacy" as a player.
    What's better for his legacy : 1) David West a retired NBA star that donated $10 million to help and saved the lives of thousands of starving children in Africa & India. or 2) David West a retired NBA star that finally won a NBA championship after taking a $11 million paycut to become a minor contributor on a team.

Doing #1 will probably get him wide spread media coverage and accolades, might get him an award and some face time with the president (like Mutombo) and might even get him into the Hall of Fame.

15. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Pretty sure this happen

[​IMG]

16. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

He wants the 'chip.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I love when people say this so that Tim Duncan, David West and other below-market salary takers can put more money into the pockets of Donald Sterlings, James Dolans and Dan Gilberts of the universe

18. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

...he's already earned millions upon millions in his long career and now wants to cap it off with a championship or two. Not to mention he's still making 1.4 MILLION dollars to play a sport for a living next year. I get it, everyone assumes that players always mismanage their money and will go bankrupt eventually. Perhaps guys like David West are the exception to the rule. Has anyone considered that?

19. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Lol well what now Morey?
    Your move

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Let’s be honest, if I wanted your woman, I could sign her also right now.</p>&mdash; Gregory Popovich (@FakeCoachPop) <a href="https://twitter.com/FakeCoachPop/status/618158700545441793">July 6, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>