1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dave Mirra dies at age 41

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mr. 13 in 33, Feb 4, 2016.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Police: BMX rider Dave Mirra dead at 41 of apparent suicide <a href="https://t.co/d30yp0pPsj">https://t.co/d30yp0pPsj</a></p>&mdash; Bay News 9 (@BN9) <a href="https://twitter.com/BN9/status/695457807328374784">February 5, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I remember getting my first Haro bmx bike back in 99. It was a blue Dave Mirra model. I never really got into bmx but actually used it to cruise around in Austin at the time. Dave was definitely a legend and I always enjoyed watching him. So sad to hear that he went this way. Poor guy must have been going through a super rough time.

3. thejav

thejav Member

hopefully he was wearing a helmet.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

WTF.

I remember watching him duke it with Jamie Bestwick when i was a kid to see who the best BMX rider was at the X-Games.

R.I.P. to a true legend.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Classy.

6. SleepyRodriguez

Yeah great joke dude...:rolleyes:

R.I.P. to a true LEGEND.

7. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, guy was a legend. Gotta wonder if CTE played a role after seeng Matt Hoffman's 30 for 30. RIP, Dave.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That was the first thing that came to my mind.

9. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Have to wonder what was going on that he felt he had to take his life. They said he had just posted a photo to social media with him and his lady before he died

10. VanityHalfBlack

Suicide that sucks. What's even more heartbreaking is that he left behind 2 kids and a wife. Depression is some real **** folks. If I had a family I would do whatever it takes to stay alive even with depression but damn, if Mirra fought that and still had illness, that's saying something man. Depression ain't no ******g joke.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Goodbye Dave Mirra, a true pioneer, icon and legend. Thank you for the memories... we are heartbroken. <a href="https://t.co/RHpTe7Qzwi">pic.twitter.com/RHpTe7Qzwi</a></p>&mdash; Tony Hawk (@tonyhawk) <a href="https://twitter.com/tonyhawk/status/695443526335614980">February 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'd say the big difference here is that Mirra seemingly had a pretty charmed life after competitive BMXing. He had 2 kids with a beautiful wife, still made appearances in the public eye all the time, and had several endorsements that were still in his name. I understand all the money and love in the world doesn't mean much to someone suffering from depression, but I don't think he was struggling with life after sports. This kind of feels more like a Junior Seau-type situation to me.

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Me as well.

Regardless, very sad. RIP Dave Mirra. :(

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, exactly... He was still active/relevant and wasn't a one sport kind of guy. I'm really thinking CTE.

Regardless though, his passing really surprised me. RIP

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's not about having the perfect family, cushy job, or even ongoing endorsements. Some have all of the above but eventually lose them to their battles with depression. Common thoughts among athletes who fall into depression are feelings of being "useless" and a "has-been". They don't feel they have much importance because they're no longer winning competitions on a big stage.

17. VanityHalfBlack

Good point.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's the thing that doesn

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's the thing that doesn't make sense though for him, he was still recently participating in rally car racing at a high level, and even won a recent athletic race (iirc the race was high level)... I mean I know depression can be a monster and we might not ever know how things were going for him... But I'm under the impression cte played a role, especially since Mat Hoffman came out admitting to having over 100 concussions during his bmx career.

I'm definitely not discounting the end of sports aspect... But this isn't similar to a one sport career kind of guy.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

*That's over Mat Hoffman's career (not Mirra's), but I'm thinking it could be similar...