1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Dave Hardisty" talking about coaching staff on "610"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 31, 2011.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Assuming what was reported, that Morey/Les were telling Adelman that he "had" to accept Finch on his staff (and perhaps someone like Joeger), it isn't at all like other coaches of similar standing (hell, just about any head coach in the league) asking for a particular assistant to be added to the staff and being in control of who are helping him coach the team. Nothing like it at all. Adelman's reaction was perfectly reasonable, an act of integrity, and considering Morey and Alexander not being the dumbest GM/Owner's on the block (simply, perhaps, some of the most reckless), they had to know Adelman would react the way he did. Clearly, at least to me, they were forcing him out, wanting him to "quit," so they wouldn't get hit with a firestorm of criticism for firing a coach that did an incredible job while he was here, with the highest winning percentage in Rockets history, despite incredible odds against that, with one of the top offenses in the NBA, produced with a bunch of role players and no stars, and a lock for the Hall of Fame.

Well that worked out well for them, didn't it.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Dave Hardisty" talking on "610" yesterday. I wish Dave would alert us on things like this.:p

Joining us, Dave Hardisty, Clutchfans.net. So Dave, if I gave you this trade proposal: Scola, Lowry, Patterson for Chris Bosh, would you do that?

I would not. I think thats the type of trade they need to make. I did want Bosh on this team but under a different situation when you had Yao coming back, you had maybe a better supporting cast. I think that guts the team too much and makes Bosh your centerpiece and I dont think thats the way to go.

Speaking of Yao, there was a report from the China Daily this week that I think was misinterpreted by many. He said his ankle was 30% so some took that to mean he was 30% recovered but in actuality his ankle has 30% of the strength it once did which according to Dr. Kenneth R. First who we had on Thursday, actually makes a lot of sense based on his recovery, so let me ask you this Dave, under what conditions would you bring back Yao Ming to this team, if there is a condition?

As far as money or years committed?

How much money, what kind of role?

Very good question. A guy like Yao, I dont see him as a role player. Unless you're making him exclusively a high post player, a guy who will be shooting 16-18 footers, I cant see it happening. I think you have to bring him back under a 1 or 2 year type deal, hope he can recover, and play him fewer minutes and grow into that role. Assuming he got the legs and his feet are healthy, he's still a guy so big you got to put him in the post. I dont see his role changing, maybe his time. When you have a Yao out there, you have to play half court sets. You got to post up. I dont think you can be this super run and gun team. You got to pay attention to him on the offensive end.

NBA draft coming up in 12 days. My guess is Daryl Morey wants to go overseas because and this is my assumption, correct me if I'm wrong, I think the possible ceilings of so many of these guys overseas is perhaps higher than some of the players coming out of college, and Morey needs to find that hidden homerun. Which direction do you think Daryl Morey may go June 23rd?

I think you just nailed it right there personally. Last few days I have been studying up a lot on some of these European guys. I think you correctly nailed the position they're in. I think they're looking at guys like ???, Vesley, Kanter. I know those guys are projected to go higher but those are the types they look at and say hey, these are big guys, got high ceilings, and I think thats more the direction they're looking to go. Daryl Morey will tell you his philosophy almost unanimously is best player available. He will say hey, hes in the top 5, he might look more toward need, but he always goes BPA and I think you're looking at guys with high ceilings that are overseas right now.

Like every year, we hear about Daryl wanting to trade up. He'll be the first to tell you its a hard thing to do. Is this the year they can swing a deal like that?

I dont know if they will be able to pull it off but if its any year they can do it, its this year. It is considered a weaker draft, probably the weakest since Daryl has come on here but I do think he does get some heat for that because he is open and public about their desire to trade up but they havent been able to pull it off. They're always trying to do that. Always looking for possibilities. I can see them exhausting all options again but if any year they're gonna be able to do it, I think it would be this year.

If you're right and Morey is going to go overseas, lets get someone with a cool name. How about Bismack Biyombo? Chad Ford has the Rockets taking him in his latest mock draft. 6'9 PF from the Congo, just 18 years old.

I look at him, I think there is enormous potential there. I personally dont think he'll be available at 14. I think you'll have to move up a few spots to get him. I hope to be wrong. I look at him, because he has the potential to be a elite D player, freakish as far an athlete is concerned, wingspan up to 7'7 or something like that, this is a guy who has great potential. Not sure if he can play Center, they think he can play both maybe similar to a Nene type player, but he doesnt have that height. A guy with great leaping ability, great wingspan, could be a D force, I think you have to look at Biyombo as a guy if you're the Rockets.

We know the need for a big man, especially one with D. If other than a big man, would you go PG or SF?

SF. I think you could go PG but SF a bigger need. Right now they got Budinger. You look at that and say we could use a defensive SF. I look at guys like Chris Singleton from Florida St., great wingspan, great D player in college, Tyler Honeycutt at UCLA as well. I think there is some potential in this draft at SF. I think as Rockets fans you have to almost hope that every PG, SG, and true PF go ahead of the Rockets 1-13 and push some of the centers and small forwards down.

Brad Miller came out last week at some Kings event of all things that he had microfracture surgery on his knee, we dont know when we'll be playing basketball again. From that standpoint, what will they do in terms of a backup big man for next season?

Very good question. Think they're looking at developing what they have. Obviously looking for a center in general. What the solution is? I dont know. They're looking at a bunch of different options but are always focused on trade. At that point, you're looking at the entire league. They feel they still need a starting center over a backup center, and thats anyone's guess what direction they'll head.

You mentioned Chris Singleton. Nice 6'9 forward from Florida St. Who does he remind you of in the NBA?

Right now? Good question. Maybe a little of Stacey Augmon of the past. This is a D player, really long arms, great leaping ability, think he can become an elite D player. 14 I think he'll be there, dont think so at 23 but a guy who has to get the Rockets interest as well because he plays a position and his skillset is something they dont have right now. They dont have a D stopper at SF and I think thats where he could step in.

Speaking of 23, and even 2nd round, we know Daryl has found a share of gems going late in the draft. Your opinion, some gems that could slip that the Rockets could grab?

ONe guy I kinda hope will be available at 23 is Nikola Vucevic out of USC. I think that is a guy, I dont see him as a true center, hes more of a grounded player but has good range, great size, think he has good potential and Marshon Brooks out of Providence. Good offensive player and has long arms as well. Great scorer and some knocks on him which is why he slid but see him as a possibility that could be had at 23.

Thanks for the time.

You bet.

http://cbshouston.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dave-hardisty-0611.mp3

1 person likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Unconventional stuff may pay off in the long term,but the assistants don't have much NBA experience,and the head coach has well known short comings. It takes a long time for coaches to mature,and a weak team like ours needs help. If this doesn't work out,DM will be in trouble.