1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dating Advice. Graduate School Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dnjndmrc5, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not sure if all you guys are serious. Is it really your way of life&thinking that you only engange deeply with females when you want to have sex with them? I'm straight and single, but with those two females I can talk about nearly everything, relax and feel better than with a lot of guys.

You've probably missed a few possibly very good friendships if you automatically turn every female (you don't "smash") away. With those kind of statements I don't even think you really got to know how great a lot of the females you met in your life are. Just seems ridiculous to me how someone would only look at gender when considering a friendship.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No you are creepy old dude.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have a good friend who worked for that guy. He's not who you think he is, and his little cult thing can get very creepy.

He does have a hot wife though so that's something.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My best friend was a member of The Society and invited me to join. I declined - it didn't seem like a place for a married guy with a family.

He was a very smart guy, thought very highly of Strauss and talked to him on a regular basis.

6. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Yes, girls especially want what they can't have and are sometimes even more jealous than guys. Right now OP is easily attainable and the girl knows it. I was in the friendzone for years with a good friend but didn't really mind. When I was younger I was not good with girls, I was actually pretty terrible. After high school I started dating around and started doing well with girls and all of a sudden my friend was all over me. One night she asks me about the girls I was seeing and I told her (she asked) some of the nitty gritty ... and got a BJ shortly after that. We then started hooking up regularly from then on.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm old and kind of creepy. Regrets? I've had a few. But nothing about the arc of my life, just regrets about certain girls during that HS/college timeframe where I was figuring things out, including that friend zone crap.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I was at numbers when I was 21 with my GF and her friends who were 19-20 and this 30+ year old dude tried to hit on them. It was so weird and they were all just creeped out.

However everyone on clutchfans dates supermodels and at the snap of their fingers all the girls just start running to them so maybe it works for you guys.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

First off, most people have enough friends. I have my group of friends from childhood...from high school...from college...from grad school...from work...I dont necessarily need to go out of my way to find friends. Among those, I do have female friends. I had female friends when I was in high school, college, dental school, etc... However, "friends" is a loose term. When I was in the stage of my life when I was single and wanted to go out and party, I much prefer my group of guy friends...because then you go out, get smashed, get girls, etc... Or, we'd go to a sports game...we'd drink and play video games. What did I do with my female friends? Study with them and have them help me with school work. Yes, there are some great girls out there, but if Im single, I want to go out and have fun in a different way.

I'll give you some advice though...let me tell you what happens when you get married...those female "friendships" will go away. Sure, you can still be "friends", but not nearly on the level that you can have it before you get married. In other words, you think my wife will be cool with, "hey babe, me and holly are going to go to a movie, then getting some ice cream after...have a good night!". Of course not. And if you have that kind of situation, you are in an open relationship, whether you know it or not.

So, go ahead and enjoy these female best friends, because when you settle down, you will never have it the same again. In other words, you're just wasting your time.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I tend to think like this reply in my better moments, but it's the hardest thing to do if she's extremely hot and showing interest.

To add my thoughts, I think you're perceived as a nice available guy right now. Good news, that's a story that doesn't need to change. Bad news, you sound like you're in the friendzone and your odds are low right now. You just have to make the story she wrote on you deeper.

Take half that energy you're spending on her elsewhere, put a pin on that grenade, and find/date other women.

Finding other interests puts more eggs in the basket and it helps dull whatever body language you're oozing out that you yourself probably doesn't recognize. And if you start pulling back because you actually are focusing on other people, she'll naturally respond to your actions and is more likely to feel pressure on deciding whatever she's thinking right now.

If you've taken the advice on being outcome neutral, then you can look back with a little more perspective on whatever started your relationship and how she acted and can see some behaviors that are straight up manipulations or genuine misunderstandings.

That becomes clearer when you avoid investing your emotional investment on one prospect, one thought, one possibility. She also becomes less of an idea or representation of a type or category.

Until you find someone who mutually understands there's something more and want to take it further, it's still fair play, especially if you're somewhat transparent either in speech or action.

Another plus is that being transparent (balance a little mysteriousness) is a sign of confidence, but your body language is what gives it credibility. Your demonstrating value and you're making your time a precious quality that it deserves to be.

With the internet, you can always keep in touch if the interest is there, even if you disengage, provided you have legitimate and clear reasons for it. You don't have to be weird, pouty or manipulative for any of this or it's outcomes.

Has she ever complemented you in things that doesn't indirectly benefit her? Have you ever talked to each other casually that pushes the social envelope and develops trust? Maybe you feel it's too late to start, but it's not with other people and more practice.

These questions that are harder to ask when you're not pulled in where you are now.

#90 Invisible Fan, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is some truth to that. Marriage is a grave to all those 'friendships'.

Well, I should know. Savor it while that lasts

Heck, friendships between equally attractive, or one part that is attractive is hard to maintain

Got that from Harry and Sally

12. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

No one in this thread is saying anything about hitting on teenagers, but thanks for sharing the encounter that has obviously scarred you for life. This is unwittingly the best illustration for the OP that these boys stand no chance.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Sorry OP, sounds like the major case of the Friendzones. She wouldn't tell you all of this information if she didn't trust that you wouldn't try to stick your D in her P.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It depends on the guy. If a guy they like does it, it's hot. If it's a guy they don't like, it's creepy. If it were Chris Pratt or Channing Tatum, they'd have no issue being hit on by a 35 year old.

15. body slam

body slam Member

She's either using you for school or you're a security blanket kind of like a big brother or both.

My advice move on and find someone closer to your own age.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Go ahead, you're old enough you probably want to start locking all that stuff down anyways. Of course that might be her biggest concern with you. Just try to not to screw up the most difficult and expensive undertaking of your entire life, and the very last chance you have to augment your professional skill set before managers start scrutinizing your track record.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I thought they were joking but guess not

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Rule #1: Be attractive
    Rule #2: Don't be unattractive

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

hey wait, i live in webster. dennis?

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This will be going on forever unless guys start getting smarter and less susceptible to looks, attraction.

Not saying to rule out any attractive female, but go smart about, do not get too emotionally involved in something that is 'not real'. Unless it is a sustenable, solid relationship.

Girls that are attractive cannot keep gaining the upperhand. Keep getting wiser.