1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dating Advice. Graduate School Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dnjndmrc5, Jun 10, 2015.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It isn't that hopeless for you bro, maybe she has a hot friend she can invite along for the hangout in Webster. Inquire about that. Ask her if she's going to bring any hotties with her that you can get down with. That could go south for you too if she brings her uggo friend. If its just going to be the two of them and you though, I wouldn't be anywhere near that. You're a chaperone.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You speaketh like a masterth

3. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I have once been in the friendzone and crawled myself out of the hole. It can be done, OP. Just wait for the right time to make the move. It may take days, it may take years, but you will know when the time comes. Hang in there, it just isnt your time yet.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Basically, be the shoulder that she cries on when her boyfriend dumps her and take advantage of the situation.

One line that does work well for this is something along the lines of, "Thank God I'm not attracted to you... can you imagine how awkward it would be if we tried to date?" Use women's natural low self esteem against them... that is your only hope. Well, that and lots of alcohol.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The reverse friendzone! :eek:

A bold move for sure. Not for the faint of heart.

"Look at that girl over there, I have a huge crush on her, do you think she would go out with me?"

"You shouldn't be eating that, it'll make you fat"

"I cannot stand how immature younger girls are, I just couldn't date anyone that younger than me"

You try that Hail Mary, but most likely she'll just find a new bro to f-zone.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

You need to write a book. If anything at least a blog on the subject.

7. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

You're WAY the F up in the friend zone. Sorry brah. It wouldn't be a friendzone if you weren't interested, but you are. To her you're just another nice, friendly dude, but to you she's something more. I don't want to say stop talking talking to her or working with her because that would be a dick move since she could use your help, or vice versa, but you're just gonna have to get over her; or learn to at least treat her like another buddy of yours. The more act aloof or oblivious to her, the more she'll gravitate to you. But of course, you also have to have a personality to pull that off, meaning some sense of humor and wit. Good luck !

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm not an expert on relationships and the mind games men and women play, I just know a friendzoning when I see it. Been through it myself.

Then you have fogies like MadMax who will come in here and give this poor guy false hope by saying "I was best friends with my wife for x years before we started dating!" :p

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This actually works, OP. You need to employ the power of negging. Give them a backhanded compliment that lowers their self esteem while it raises your status and the female will find your dominance attractive.

Another tactic is to wear an eccentric article of clothing or accessory. Wearing something that stands out will naturally attract a female's attention and cloud you in a shroud of mystery. She already knows you so the mystery part won't work but it gives the aura of coolness, high status, and strong self-confidence that you can wear something so extraordinary. This is called peacocking.

10. body slam

body slam Member

Kind of sounds like she's playing you to get good grades. Also with a 8 year age difference you're most likely a father figure or big brother that she feels safe to be with.

Ask her out on a casual date. A simple bite to eat or cup of coffee and see were the conversation goes. If she ask another guy to go with you then you have your answer.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

She needs to see you pull a hot chick. Women want to feel like their choice is accepted by the public. A women's mind doesnt change much from when they are in middle school(nor humans in general).

Everyone wants to be accepted. Everyone wants what they cant have. Pulling a hot chick will get you what you want.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was in a friend zone for a couple years. She was dating someone and I was dating someone (the same someone I mentioned above) but the whole time I was trying to get to her. I never made it.

Years later it's all ok cuz she dropped out of college and is some sort of drug addict (still hot doe for a drug addict who likely gives it up for money/drugs). Buy damn, I was not cool with it back then. She was dating a guy who looked just like me! I mean, WTF!

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's harsh, it's petty, it's shallow, but this is the truth.

OP, if you feel bad about going this route, know full well that she is using you both emotionally and academically/professionally.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I friendzoned a girl. Didnt know she wanted till we graduated. It was a love triangle. My friend liked her, she liked me, I liked no one. She always use to hangout with me and my breh. My breh tried keeping in touch with her but she chunk deuces

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Negging is not going to be easy with the friendship structure already well established. If done too drastically she will sense something has changed and react negatively to it by distancing herself and finding a new buddy. Subtlety is key. Don't suddenly change your personality. Remain mostly the same but sprinkle in some clues that you're interested in somebody else. Signaling to her that she has competition for your attention could possibly make her question her self-esteem and bump you up a notch on the ladder, but this isn't something that can easily be pulled off.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If she said no, could you handle it? Could you move on without being upset by it? If so, then just ask. If you're already over-invested in her then you're already screwed. But if you're cool with her answer either way, just ask. You'll quickly find out whether she's worth thinking about or not. Win/win either way. Either you date her or you stop wasting time thinking about a girl who's not interested. Be honest with her. Tell her that you know she has this rule but that you like the time you spend together and wanted to ask her on a date anyway. And use the word "date" to make sure there's no ambiguity. And most importantly, be cool with whatever she says. Don't just pretend to be cool, actually be OK with a rejection. If you can do that, go for it.

If you can't, you're screwed and it's in your best interest to forget about her as a romantic possibility.

The best thing a man can learn in regards to asking women out is how to be outcome independent. If you're not so concerned with the answer she gives, it makes approaching so much easier. If your goals are broad (I want to find a woman I'm interested in who's also interested in me) instead of narrow (I want THIS specific woman to like me), it makes things a lot easier. Every rejection is just a "no" you have to go through before getting a "yes". Ironically, a man who's OK with rejection is more attractive to women. If you're not concerned with her saying "no" because you believe you can find another woman just as attractive and intelligent as her, that shows confidence, which is attractive. If you're over invested and care a lot about how she responds, it shows that you're needy and unconfident, which isn't attractive.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

So she told you she doesn't want to date anyone in the program, which means you. Also she uses you to do her work and **** block other guys. You are older than her and she thinks you are nonthreatening and uses you. You should be her friend and maybe you can meet girls she knows. As far as getting with her, you have about as much chance as Jorah Mormont has of surviving The Song of Ice and Fire.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You should act more threatening, then she will like you.

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Can you expand upon this? What were you guys doing in Webster?

Have you gotten trashed with her yet? Try to get her drunk and tell her that you like her, otherwise move on and make friends with the other guy you had a strange not-date with. She'll be upset that she can't take advantage of either of you anymore to get work done and probably be willing to date you for grades.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

1 person likes this.