1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey's Outlook For the New Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Sep 13, 2007.

1. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

how many times are you going to ask this stupid question to jonathan feigen, fran blinebury, and everybody at ymm forum?

give it a rest.

2. eedgejr

eedgejr Contributing Member

Did you just imply that Francis is close to Nash, Williams or Parker? Based on his last few years he no where in the vicinity. He's a shoot first PG much like Iverson. Even in his good years he could never compare to running the floor as the aforementioned. Back in the Franchise days its was pretty much two guys passing between each other in street ball game with Yao looking for touches. Am I the only one who remembers this?

I agree he can help the team. Provide a another scoring options even. However, he is not a long term solution but a stop gap risk worth taking. I wish people would stop attributing messianic value to his presence on this team. It's madness.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

Anyone else think this picture looks a little...uh....romantic?

4. deshen

deshen Member

This is part hard to understand. T-Mac will play 3 this season? how about Battier, move to 4?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

T-Mac's natural position is probably more of a 3 than 2, in my view. But after him, who do we has left as guards?

Francis, James, Alston, Head, Snyder, Wells (part time), Brooks. Not bad, but maybe not at the level of Dallas or Phoenix or San Antonio. I mean, there's potential, but I think that bunch of very unproven at this point (Francis, James, and Wells are coming off terrible seasons).

6. liangqj

liangqj Member

Thank you for pointing out my mistake.What about the following description?
    Chinese reporters report the news about NBA.But they always link these news to Yao and Rocket.For example,"past Rocket player","Yao's former teammates",to attract the fans' eyeball.

7. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Shane will come off the bench more than likely. The starting lineup will be

Yao
    Scola
    T-mac
    Wells
    SF

Adelman loves the matchup problems Bonzi creates at the two and with Yao and Scola playing more high post Bonzi will be able to operate down low and use his post game against smaller two guards. Having Wells and SF in the backcourt gives you two strong rebounding guards and you sub in more shooting off the bench with Head, MJ, and Battier.

8. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

If I am Adelman, i would like to use Bonzi off-bench as a offensive weapon while my starters getting rest. and have shane on the court is easier for tmac, so he doesnt need to guard guys like kobe all the time

9. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Yes, I agree Shane is a great defender and he could play the 3 and guard the other teams 2. We could even say that MJ or Brooks might log more time against the quicker PG like Parker since they have a better chance of matching up speed wise. It depends on Bonzi really. If the old Bonzi shows up the one that killed the Spurs can you imagine the energy it would take to guard him. I think Adelman will match up against the opponent and not play favorites to give the team the best chance to win.

10. aamir

aamir Member

Thanks for the translation, was a good read.

...trade Shane.

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Alredy tried.
    Remember the first game against Jazz in season ,Boozer dominated Battier in post.
    Collected rebounds,overpowered him etc.
    So because of that we had Hayes.

12. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Trade WHOOOOOOOOOOOO?!!!

13. zong

zong Member

We need develop Brook during the regular season, also no team can can have everything. Rox already have Yao and TMac, a further need is someones who can play tough, and smart just like Parker, Oberto, I guess that we may get those.

14. liangqj

liangqj Member

say something about that.Trade Shane???????

15. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Well, the Houston media spends 99% of the time talking baseball or football which really sucks cause I cannot stand either. But I guess that is what the people here want.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Shane Battier played against the 2 defensively most games anyway. It really doesn't matter that TMac was nominally the SG last year, Battier guarded the better offensive wing player most of the time.

This whole "Move TMac back to the 3" thing is pretty pointless... he already played the 3 most of the time whenever a tough 2 needed to be guarded-- and there isn't much difference between Battier and a more "traditional 2" like Wesley, Barry, or Head on offense, either... they all spotted up to spread the floor. Pretty much the same kind of role, just how the offense was structured-- Spread the floor and let TMac and Yao go to work.

The only thing Battier doesn't do that you might want more of an orthodox 2 to do is handle the ball (then again, not every "real 2" handles the ball, either... see Reggie Miller). In fact, I think that's why the Rockets liked Brandon Roy and Thabo Sefolosha rather than, say, Gay and Carney-- ball handling ability. But Morey liked Battier's overall efficiency... so they ended up with him when Roy fell through.

As far as minutes go, I expect Adelman to have the same policy as he always had: he who earns minutes by giving the team a better chance to win will get minutes. There might be a deeper rotation now that the team has more good players, but we'll see... it's only on paper.

#36 Carl Herrera, Sep 14, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  17. Coca Cola Scola

If it's between Yao and Bonzi operating in the low post, I think Yao would be the first choice.....so Adelman might use it for a few minutes, but the majorit of the time Yao would be in the low post. Bonzi is better off coming off the bench. That way, we can have an explosive offense at all times. Battier is better feeding off of guys like Yao and Tmac since Battier can't create his own shot and he shoots the 3 really well. It should be

Yao
    Scola or Hayes
    Battier
    Tmac
    Francis

Bench
    Mutombo
    Scola or Hayes
    (Battier/Tmac playing some minutes with the 2nd unit)/Novak
    Bonzi/Head
    James/Brooks

18. aamir

aamir Member

I love Shane... but with our glut of guards, its pretty much a necessity for T-Mac to play the 3 -- Shane's only viable position. Add that to the number of players whom could (and with Adelman, likely will) situationally play the three and the minutes for Shane become very limited.

At that point, I just feel he's worth more as a trade asset. He's a very good player, but requires floor time to make his money's worth of an impact. At his price point and with his reputation, he could easily be packaged with someone with not-so-great trading value like Alston and bring in a high-quality player at a more rotationally ideal position for us.

19. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Agreed. from what i've seen, Brooks>Conely Jr. brooks has better handels, shot and is more fearless. i've said it before, in anyother year, brooks would have been a lottery pick. the only reason he wasnt was because this years draft was loaded with insanely good and ready big's.

20. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Battier's value is probaly as high it will ever get. so yeah, i agree i say it's time to trade him. battier- head- alston packige could net a allstar. someone like marion.

I just dont see battier with a fit bonzi behind him getting the minutes the minutes he's accoustemed to. i think he'll certianly starts, because he adds nothing nothing as a impact player off the bench, but he's role will diminish greatly this season.