1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey's Inception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 16, 2010.

1. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

That was a fun read. I'd rep you if I could.

I actually agree with you on the point about Ariza being a trojan horse of sorts, but I think it's probably not something Morey intended when he traded Ariza away. He was probably just thinking about the $10mil he was going to save plus getting a sg defender. But I do think Ariza won't help them much and CP's frustration will only grow. And when the season gets going and people start seeing that we've got a good team w/ lot's of assets, players that want to move to a winning situation will realize that it's a hell of a lot easier to move to Houston than to coordinate two more max contracts to the Knicks.

2. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

occam's razor says: morey messed up, and we are living in his nightmare. wake up people!!!

3. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I'm going to propound another theory, not as elaborate as CarlHerrera's but I have a feeling Morey made the trade with the fact that if NOH shopped Collison around longer, they are likely to get a better deal and so improve as division rivals, and so did all he could to ensure Ariza was all the Hornets would end up getting.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

CH, I am absolutely convinced you have multiple personality disorder. You know what? I'm freaking glad you do!!! Good stuff, true or not, joke or not, I enjoyed the hell out of that. The basic idea of your post is really not all that far fetched.

Wait, did this just happen, who's dream did I rep you in? Eh, whatever.

5. Muaz

Muaz Member

*slow claps*

6. dragonz

dragonz Member

That was a very interesting reading, good job.
    But I think your idea still didn't solve the fact that the Hornets don't want deal with a team within their division.
    For the Hornets to deal with us, they need to be in absolute desperation.

I want to add a couple of thoughts:

The first level of inception was actually not performed by DM. It's this Lebron/Bosh show + CP3's trade request under the influence of LBJ give the Hornets an urgency of losing their star player.

The second level of inception was performed by DM. By trading Ariza to New Orlean, who the Hornets delusionally believed that will help their team, we deadlocked the Hornets' salary.

On the third level of inception, I don't agree that let the Hornets have a shot at Camelo will help our chance at CP4 at all. We need to convince NOH that we have the best package for CP3, while other teams like NYK will also present their case. But what does a rebuilding team want the most? the high draft picks. And this is in our advantage because we own NYK's pick. If with some luck, we get a #2 or #3 pick from NYK, and we package it with expiration contracts of Battier and JJ, along with uprising star like AB, it's an irresistible deal for NOH.

and we will be back to reality and happily ever after...

[​IMG]

7. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

Great Post!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Carl Herrera again."

8. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Great read and very well thought out. Hope it becomes more then just a dream.

9. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Carl Herrera is the person on earth closest to GOD/DM!!!
    what a genius!!!

10. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

lol awesome concept

11. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

...It..already...is....

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Dell Demps???

[​IMG]

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While Morey may be one of the few GM's that could maneuver another team psychologically, I just cant get my head around the fact that NO would have to be in the most dire straits possible to help a division rival in a such a big way as in letting us have CP3.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

15. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Nice thoughts except Collison is an Indiana Pacer. Paul ain't going anywhere

16. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

17. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I do agree on the basis of Ariza--New Orleans, or shall I say Chris Paul, believes this helps them tremendously. He's not good enough to impact you that much. He's a very good glue guy, that's it.

When they are 6 weeks into the season, he'll realize that. New Orleans already realizes that, but they have to keep Chris happy. It's hard to do as a player says, because truth be told players are dumb as **** within the relative abilities of their fellow NBA players.

They just know them by acquaintaince, or by familiarity on a championship team, and are look "oooh", "aaah". Or if they are friends. Only very few ACTUALLY know the NBA well.

It's inevitable--Chris Paul will leave New Orleans, it's just when, how, and where to. Certainly not why. I'm hoping, dearly hoping it's Houston, he'll take us the top cause he'll be our best player, but not necessarily our best scorer. And with Collison gone, Aaron Brooks as a piece becomes that much more intriguing. We'll just wait and see.

18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Honestly say what yall want to say...if we find a way to get either melo or paul...we will more than likely get both.

If we can get melo (convincing him that we have a good shot at paul with him, chinas marketing and the ability to play miami in the finals EVERY year)... and if NO fails to be a contender or even a playoff team. Paul can force their hand.

It is a pipe dream...but it is plausible...if it wasnt morey would have already moved these assets. We all know this is the year and the assets are more valuable now then ever...specially the NYK picks. They are going to wait on melo if he is traded to another team...we will move on from him and paul...

Prob go after iggy or wallace (doubt he gets traded though).

I honestly think you will see a significant move all centered around melo...either we get him with the risk of loosing him and hoping to get paul...or some other team gets him say NYK and we move on to iggy.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Carl Herrera again.

20. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

If the rockets winning a championship was inception, would you want to go back to reality?