1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey's Expectations of Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Jan 15, 2010.

?

Has Brooks met Morey's draft expectations?

1. Yes, he's even exceeded those expectations.

55.3%
  2. Yes, he's met those expectations.

36.3%
  3. No, he has not met those expectations.

8.4%
  1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

What did Daryl Morey expect out of Aaron Brooks when he drafted him 26th overall in 2007 and has Brooks met those expectations?

It was pretty common knowledge what Brooks' strengths and weaknesses were so I don't think Morey expected the next Chris Paul or Steve Nash. I don't think he expected a PG with elite court vision or an oustanding defender.

I assume that, among other things, he saw a speedy, score-first PG with a good outside shot and the propensity to perform in the clutch. He probably also saw that Brooks could create his own shot and shoot well off the dribble.

I'm guessing that Morey saw those abilities and figured that Brooks' potential was anywhere from a scoring spark to a capable starter, depending on how much he could improve upon his weaknesses.

My opinion is that Brooks has largely met Morey's expectations. I don't think he's improved certain weaknesses as much as Morey would have hoped in a best-case scenario but I don't think those were expectations so much as hopes to begin with anyways.

For anybody who believes that Adelman played a large role in the pick, consider this Q&A with Jonathan Feigen:

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/09/summers_gone_and_the_time_is_r.html

I just wanted to make it clear that it was Morey and his staff that went after Brooks, not Adelman as has been suggested on occasion.

2. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Daryl Morey is dissappointed in Brooks for not being the mutant hybrid of Steve Nash and Gary Payton that he was supposed to become the moment his Midas hands even considered that it was a remote possibility to draft him in the 3rd round.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I was pissed when they drafted, him, so I would say that he has surpassed expectations. I don't think anyone would have though he would turn out to be the player he is today.

4. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Actually Rick had followed Aaron while he played college ball, the year did not coach. I believe this was in Portland and Aaron played in Portland also. Rick really can't go after him, as he's just the coach, but he can tell DM this is the type of PG, of the future and the guy I'd really want running my team.

Brooks has surpassed my expectations. I thought his size would limit him but I guess "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, It's the size of the fight in the dog."

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's better than expected.
    dare I say "All Star" level.

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

His performance as a #26 pick should exceed everyone's expectations.

7. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Pretty sure everyone on this board was screaming "WTF?" when Brooks was drafted.

The entire team (aside from Yao) was already very short, and we already had a solid PG in Rafer.

8. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

Where my flamethrower at? Someone give me a hand!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

9. Crush

Crush Rookie

HAW HAW!! Let me wake up first

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

I wonder what kind of effect the predraft workouts have on Morey. We all know the CD/Rudy T. regime was far too easily swayed by impressive workout showings (see: Langhi, Dan), but Morey's strategy is based heavily on in-game stats, so I'm curious what part these workouts play in his draft-day decision making.

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Wasn't Brooks supposed to be working on becoming a better playmaker for this team this year? Using his speed to create open shots for others?

I mean everyone is all on Ariza for not developing fast enough into a legit #2 scoring option, as was his development for this year.... Brooks scores 40 points and everyone is wowed, but lets check his assist numbers? His late game decisions with the ball in his hands? Maybe he never becomes that high assist guy, i'm fine with that. I just think Ariza has been receiving some unfair criticism by most on this forum.

Look I like the guy, I just wanted to see what other thought of this.

12. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

I like Ariza as long as he doesn't try to dribble and create PERIOD

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I remember one person on this board being on board with the pick B-Bob, that's because he had actually watched him play. I have a friend who doesn't post here but he was also excited because he had actually seen him play

14. Depressio

What?! He didn't get a quadruple double?!!? JUST GET RID OF HIM, IMO!!!!11

You're being ridiculous. If you score a lot, you aren't assisting a lot, but either way, the team is getting points. I'll take a 43 point game from AB every night even if his other stats are completely zeroes.

Perhaps you haven't noticed how the offense operates after 39 games? Everyone gets assists in the flow of it all. This isn't Phoenix where the ball is always in one person's hands. Trevor Ariza averages 3.8 APG. Shane Battier averages 2.5 APG.

Brooks isn't expected to be a sole creator, period. His penetration can create, but his penetration can also allow him to score easily. Either way, we get points. Either way, you should be happy.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

See my signature, click.

16. Depressio

Haha... just through one page of it, post AB selection, and I have to say: that's hilarious.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but dang, no trust in Morey at that point (and I guess for good reason -- he was new).

17. jaiaguilar

jaiaguilar Member

at that time i wanted the rockets to draft Morris Almond... haha. that is all.

18. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

I don't think no1 wld xpect him 2 play the way he does,I
    Think he runs the team,n at the 26 pick,I wldv nvr thot HE
    Wld b the 1 runnin da team.Wen they 1st drafted him,
    I thot he wld b a good player,Especially cuz he was fast
    as hell.but I didn't xpect him 2 b as good as he is..
    I did kno dt the rockets do well in Scoutin,n dey
    did good pikin him up...I think he over met
    Moerys expectation

19. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

No. Everyone is all over Aria for not developing into a "competent" 2. He can't dribble, can't shoot, gambles too much on defense, and can't finish at the rim.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's hilarious how negative the reaction was towards that draft. It turned out to be one of the best executed drafts in team history, I dare say.