1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Press Conference Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 30, 2018.

1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

You know that’s a yes lol. Unless it’s the only way we get Lebron

2. thething

thething Contributing Member

Obviously we can't ask specifically about Scott Foster, but, we can ask him if he is allowed to specifically request that one official not call the game for him.

I don't think that's an unreasonable request for such an important game when an official has such a significant bias. If that's not allowed, it should be.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

It seems like we are keeping PJ I think.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Ask him why he had a third string pg with no NBA experience knowing CP3's injury history.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pretty confident about CP3 returning

Tfor3 likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i was thinking about this and maybe that they had actually requested not to have tony brothers return again after game 1

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Can somebody upload the full press conference

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

thanks for all of the tweets

That last parts pretty funny
    I know it's a joke..but given the current state of the NBA, do you think there'll be some sort of pushback from the league for the team pushing the owners other companies?

10. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Silly if not. Untouchable.

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Tracy McGrady calling out Harden and Daryl it just is too much too handle as a fan. Tracy never accomplished anything in the playoffs and this fool is in the Hall of Fame

BMoney, rocketman84, joshuaao and 8 others like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daryl: It was a record breaking season in many ways. Obviously Rockets fans, coach & myself will feel like there was for sure more there. What the coaches & players accomplished was truly incredible. Talking to the players, it's all about how we'll battle this back & not have this feeling again and get all the way next year.

Mike: Yes.

(How do improve a 65-win team?) Mike: Win 70 and win the title. We can not lose 5 in a row during the year & improve on our total & win closeout games, get to the Finals & win it. Yeah, we can do that.

Daryl: My job is to always improve. I'll be kicking every rock like we always do. If we have basically this group back, we feel good about it as well. We have many free agents. Won't have exactly the same group back but feel good about the players in our locker room.

(Challenges of bringing the players you want to bring back plus adding) Daryl: Better you get, more expensive the team gets. We'll have to do our normal job, be creative & do whatever it takes to get better.

(Any priority of your free agents?) Daryl: I can't talk specifics. Generally we want to bring our free agents back.

(How do you feel going into the offseason?) Daryl: It's fun. We're blessed to work in the NBA every day. This is the time when we try to do what we can do to help the coaches & players next year. This is fun.

(Last offseason, putting a team together to beat Golden State. How has that belief changed at all? Gotten stronger?): Daryl: We feel very good. We took 'em to 7. Give them credit. They beat us. They have a great team. We have a great team. Excited to go at it again. Coaches, talking to Mike & the assistants, there's a better understanding of how we think we can play to be the champion next year.

(What did you find out about this team?) Mike: Instead of finding out, confirmed. Confirmed Chris & James are really good together. Confirmed we added good defensive players. 3rd defensively after the ASB. We should start there & keep it there if not improve it. Confirmed Clint could & did get better. Needs to make one more jump. Confirmed everyone's character & the culture in the locker room created by the players by how they police & trust themselves. ... A lot of great stuff that happened all year. Hope it continues.

(You got close in Phoenix. Feel this is the closest you've been?) Mike: Doesn't feel very good now. Had the same shot in Phoenix we did here. Stuff happens. You can't control it, you learn from it, get better at it. Bittersweet. We'll take a few weeks to get over it. ... Good thing about playing deep in the playoffs, it's not far away. We'll be gearing up after a few weeks rest. ... Really excited. It's a little early but excited about what we can do.

(Sense of where their hunger & focus is now?) Daryl: Even more. Emotions were high in the meetings. It was painful, especially for the guys who have been in the league 10+ years. They know you don't get many opportunities. That was a good one. They're all hungry to get back & do it next year.

(You mentioned you'd like to re-sign your free agents. Where does the line get drawn if another high end free agent expresses interest?) Daryl: My job is to look at everything. We'll explore that. We got our key people with D'Antoni, Tilman, James & Chris. All will have to be united on going after certain guys.

(65-win season, safe to say this is the philosophy you want & how you're going to play?) Mike: We're gonna decide to make threes instead of just shoot them.

(Season you had uniquely position you this summer?) Daryl: Given the great organization we have, our winning, the stories around the league about our players, locker room & coaches, we'll have the pick of the free agents out there, high end or the Gerald Green/Mbah a Moute's. We feel we are well positioned to win the free agency battle to get over that last hump.

(Capela surprise you in any way?) Daryl: Credit to him & his hard work. He's gotten better every year. The leap he took in his 4th year,...was needed to get where we were but also unexpected.

(Still another level for Harden?) Daryl: Every year when we have this, we talk about him adding something to his game or leadership. He did it again. Last year, he made step back threes an efficient shot. No one has done that. That was long hours in the gym. I fully expect him to add. He's such a student of the game. He'll add something again. The leadership he's shown to bring Clint along & the fact he and Chris were always side by side in battle, that's not easy in this league. There are way more examples of duos not coming together.

(How quickly did you realize that?) Daryl: Early in training camp. Mike: They decided before we were able to trade for Chris that they decided they were going to make it work. ... There was no looking back. There's doubt only because you haven't seen it yet.

(Budget projections if you keep your free agents? $200-$240M?) Daryl: We'll have an expensive team. Tilman for sure has signed up for that. Mike: Go eat at Landry's. That'll help.

(What Chris means to the team?) Mike: I don't think you can't measure it. Everyone has a role. If you had to single out one thing, his ability to get on James & push him or vice versa. They don't come away broken. That's invaluable. Not a time if we're not switching or we don't have the juice or not playing 100% locked in, even in practice, it'll be said. It doesn't have to be said from a coach. PJ is not letting someone slide who is not 100% committed. ...

(Savor this season?) Mike: We fell short & are disappointed. We're short of what we could have done. At the same time, how they treated every practice, road trip, every game, people don't watch the work they put in. They're putting in hours to get ready for the next game. When you see it, ...it's ridiculous. ...

(Having the right mesh in the locker room) Daryl: It's big. When we have a team close to winning the title or should win the title, it's important every player from 1-15 is focused on the same goal. We had that this year. That's something very important to us. The years I think you're referencing is after Yao/Tracy got hurt & we were having to take risks on high upside players. Sometimes it's not always about everyone being koombaya.

(Chris' emotions?) Daryl: Chris took it the hardest. If he didn't have the injury, he's dragging us at the goal line. He took it the hardest. ...

(Obviously trying to win now, Clint will be 24, everyone else 29 or older. Need to get younger?) Daryl: We like to have young players develop. That's why we put so much priority on the D-League. We generally use the end of our bench a little differently than teams as good as us in that we are continuing to take bets. We don't know who it might be but we would like a young player emerge & be someone coach feels like he can play but obviously we're an extremely good team. It'll have to be someone pretty good. Our players are in their prime. Can't see any where there should be big decline. We don't have guys below 25 except Clint but you don't have to take a big leap forward when you win 65. If you win 65, you can win the title. We didn't do it. Historically, it's good enough to win. It probably does win with some breaks our way or maybe not facing one of the best teams ever.

(Feel like you should've won a championship?) Daryl: They're a great team. Mike: I don't know about should've but could've.

(Burner account?) Daryl: I get myself in enough trouble with my regular account. Can't comment on the officials. Many things could have broken our way in those 2 elimination games. Some 3pt shots going in, injuries, and maybe something else.

#92 J.R., May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I heard T-Mac talking reckless about Harden the other day...the nerve of this 2nd round virgin

He was saying nonsense like Harden didn’t want the ball in the 4th quarter of game 7. What game was he watching?

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

This team deserved way better, Scott Foster needs to be arrested for corrupting an NBA Game. Same way to Tony Brothers, Ed Malloy, Ken Mauer all are corrupt and deserved to to be in Jail. Their Jealousy and hatred towards Chris Paul and James Harden. Honest Officials are needed and Not Holding Grudges, Taking Revenge on Two Players is just Wrong and it Hurts the Integrity of the Game.

#95 rockets1995, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
  16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Awesome, so 3 and D jor a playmaker. (I had no vested interest, just was wondering)

Stormy1234 likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Burner question won out.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock and Vivi like this.