1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Press Conference Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 30, 2018.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just want to say this except really caught my eye when I was watching that interview because Morey did not really answer it.

1) We are obviously aggressive (e.g. Capela could be traded (S&T I suppose) in certain scenarios)
    2) Feel good about brining the group back (e.g. If certain scenarios don't materialize, ok with team)
    3) My job is always to try and do better (e.g. If certain talents are available, we will move players).

You COULD make a case/read into it some things as it relates to Capela. I mean, she specifically mentioned Capela by name and the first thing Morey does is talking about "being aggressive." That that for what it is worth.

Gonna cc @basketballholic

MICHAEL W LAND, saleem and Vivi like this.
  3. basketballholic

Morey can't give anything away here. He absolutely cannot reveal his true intentions with Capela. And the organization has to say they will match any contract. And all that might turn out to be true.....depending on what else we can accomplish.

The key is Paul. What does he want to do? All the scenarios are laying open for Paul. And Paul will make the call at the appropriate time whether he re-ups for the full five year max.....Or whether he takes a one-year Tim Duncan contract to build a monster team here that will be able to compete for the next 5 years.

What will it be, CP3, it's up to thee, what will it be?

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean, he's obviously not going to respond this way if the question was about Harden.

But Clint isn't close to what Harden is. So this answer isn't surprising at all.

DM doesn't know exactly what's going to happen with Clint. The three options/answers you provided coves all potential scenarios, which is basically the truth right now.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ryno is hindering this team right now.

DD

6. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Yes but if we signed CP to max contract of 4 to 5 yrs. You will be saying the same thing in few yrs from now.

Only winning the championship in the next two yrs would ease the pain of paying CP 40 plus millions a year when he's in his 35, 36 yrs old.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Good Lord how is it only June 6?? It's not even the off-season yet, and this **** feels like it's dragging on foreverrrrr.

9. basketballholic

By the way......while you're working on trades to bring in LeBron or George let's talk about the sign-and-trade possibilities.

So, a sign-and-trade has to be for three seasons.....And it gives us a hard cap at the apron. If the cap comes in at $101 million, the apron will be approximately $127.8 million. Let's assume Paul then signs a max deal for 5 years. He almost had to do this to ensure he gets his money because LeBron is now signed for three years. So if Paul were to sign a Tim Duncan style deal for one year then we could drop him after the season. And if he signs a three year deal to sign with Lebron then he could be dropped and princely would be dropped after three seasons.....or asked.to take a big paycut at that time since we'll be hitting the repeater tax if we keep him at the max.

So we've got $101million tied up in the big 3 and $109 million tied up in the big 4 including PJ. Throw in Capela's cap hold and we're at $116 million. Let's pretend we ditch Onuaku and Qi for nothing. And we've got Ariza's cap hold ($12.8 million) and the minimum salary slots to deal with. So as you can see we're already over the apron. Ariza gets renounced to make the deal work. Then Capela gets a max offer sheet. He walks because we're hard,capped. So LeBron cost us Gordon, Anderson, two picks, Capela, and Ariza. Not good.

Ok, so we'll sign and trade Capela to Phoenix and trade Anderson in some mythical deal into some other teams cap space to get the deal done for James.....?????? Rinse and repeat folks. Doesn't work. Ariza gone. Gordon given away.

Soooooooo, unless you can prove to us otherwise......you can eliminate a sign-and-trade acquisition of Lebron OR ANY OTHER MAX CONTRACT SUPERSTAR. There's no way to make it work without gutting everything, leading all our future trade possibilities, losing our picks, and being in the repeater tax in three seasons. It's literally the big 4 and all minimum salaries next season. And we're still in the tax.

So either prove me wrong on that point or eliminate a sign-and-trade acquisition of a superstar from your thinking.

Once you eliminate sign-and-trade, now we're siren to two ways to acquire Lebron or any other superstar. Either through them opting in and a trade is fine before July 1 OR we go under the cap and sign somebody.

There only one other possibility other then those two. And that is to trade for a different superstar other than these pending free agents like Lebron, George, and Durant that is still under contract for 2018-19. Perhaps Lawhi.....in a trade.....after the moratorium. So you could speculate on that I suppose.

But as far as LeBron, George, and Durant you should be looking at acquiring them through prior to July 1 by trade or after July 1 by under-the-cap signing. Those are the only two realistic possibilities.

Prove me wrong here. Show me a sign-and-year possibility that is doable.