1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Daryl Morey press conference post draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Jun 29, 2012.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Every year the majority of people prior to the draft will call themselves a BPA drafter versus draft for need. And every year after the draft, the majority of people will criticize GMs for not filling a need. And this is fans for every team, not just cfnet

I don't get it. You either pick best available or you pick for need. You don't waste ANY picks just because you have multiple picks...you don't say "Well, with three picks why don't we use one of them on someone who is not BPA." otherwise you end up picking Dickerson (SG), Turksad (PF) and Drew (PG) and only one of them being BPA...but you can hang you hat on the fact your picks were balanced by position and need. smh

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

OKC got top five picks year after year. They were gathering building blocks. We're no better a position than we were three years ago. Our pieces aren't buildling blocks, they're trade bait waiting to get dumped.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

I want you to prove this statement. :rolleyes:

4. MrButtocks

Scola, Martin, Dragic, Budinger, Hill, and Dalembert were all traded this year, the first three just happened to come back. I can't prove Lowry's on the block, but c'mon. Only Lee, Parsons, and Patterson have not been in trade rumors. Our director of scouting said "we tried" to make big trades for veterans yesterday. I think it's safe to assume the majority of our rotation is trade bait.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When you are picking after 10, the whole BPA thing is pretty much out the window, guys at that point have the same chance of success no matter what position, I believe when you are drafting that low you should seriously consider need, and that Morey is as wrong about this strategy as he was about not caring about height in his first couple of drafts.

DD

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Those players =/= these drafted guys

If Scola, Martin, Lowry etc. were good enough to make us contenders, they wouldn't be mentioned as trade bait. And these guys have basically shown us the best that they got. So I don't see what's wrong with those guys being on the block frequently.

Point is, if these guys prove to be building blocks then they will not be trade bait. It's too early to speak about for now, too early to determine their fate.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Right, ignore the talent and potential displayed by these young men and go for need and stay on the mediocre treadmill. Is there anything that has been done that was "right" in your eyes? Look, if we went for need our core players will still be the same and there would be no reason to expect change next season. The route Morey has taken at least has given us a chance to change the make-up of this team by building around different guys. What they will give us, we don't know as of yet. But I feel good about these next group of guys and think they will lead us farther than the Lowry, Martin, Scola group.

8. cocoloco

cocoloco Member

[​IMG]

9. MrButtocks

I was talking about our rotation guys along with our picks. All three picks were allegedly on the market to trade up in the draft. Morey tried to move up for good reason. Statistically, top five picks are much more likely to become all-stars. I applaud him for trying.

OKC fans had something to look forward to. They kept adding high picks while Durant developed his game. At least they knew he was a beast and could build around him. We're still on the hunt for one major player.

10. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i rather stay on the mediocre treadmill to get higher picks instead of picking #14 every year.

11. southtexan

southtexan Member

I used to be a fan when the Rockets had 2 tickets for the price of 1, trust me they were terrible back then, and I was an Oilers fan when they were terrible too and a Texans fan since their inception.
    I see what Morey is doing and is going to take a while and I have no choice but to be patient. He took a chance on the guy from New Jersey I forgot his name and lost a 1st round pick, and that's one of the few mistakes that I know, he let go of the Lin guy to New York that another. There has been more positives than negatives, if it was that easy to get all star players here he would have done it by now but I believe he'll eventually do that.

12. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

This is one of the dumbest...I don't even know where to begin to point out the flawed assumptions and logic here.

A) When you are picking after 10, the whole BPA thing is pretty much out the window, the whole BPA thing is pretty much out the window

What? This is just a ridiculous claim.

B) guys at that point have the same chance of success no matter what position,

No, just no.

C) I believe when you are drafting that low you should seriously consider need,

12, 16, and 18 is low in your book? Low is like 25+.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

My opinion is the exact opposite of this. Whatever you said, go in the other direction as far as possible, and that is what I believe to be true.

The later you get in picks, the bigger the gap gets between the best player out there regardless of position and the best one you believe to be at the position you are lacking. There are usually consensus picks in the top 5 or 10 because they clearly have an athleticism or productivity advantage over everyone else.

When it gets past the top 10, every team's scouting begins to diverge significantly. It comes down to your staff's individual assessment of each player and what they will become. Case in point: we might have had Royce White rated as a top 10 overall talent where other teams didn't even have him rated in as a first rounder. So call "reaches" in the teens and 20's are completely acceptable, whereas everyone will absolutely trash a team (like Toronto) for picking a guy (Terrence Ross) at #8 who was slotted by other people to go in the 10-14 range. Orlando on the other hand takes a Canadian jumpshooting power forward at 19 who was rated #32 on Draftexpress' overall prospect board, and no one bats a lash. If Indiana didn't take Plumlee at #26, he might not have gotten drafted at all. Big whoop.

So NO you do not arbitrarily change draft philosophies all of a sudden somewhere between pick 9 and 12. You stick to the plan. I find that the people knocking the Rockets' draft because we didn't select for need, or we didn't take Zeller when we had the chance, are the ones I would consider idiot fans. The rational ones are able to look at this draft and be disappointed for real reasons, like the fact that all our plans to move up or trade for veteran help were foiled, or that all the maneuvering that didn't get done last night will have to be done at some point between now and training camp (and probably not done as well since teams will be less amenable to trade now that their amorphous draft picks turned into coveted prospects), or that this organization still after 2+ years without Yao seems to have no direction.

1 person likes this.
  14. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

So much this. +9001.

Someone rep this man.

15. AXG

AXG Member

It sure has. We've been stuck in mediocrity with nothing to show for it.

1 person likes this.
  16. Raven

Raven Member

And how did the Rockets get Dream? Oh that's right, they tanked!

See my sig.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Drummond is going to be a nobody. I'd rather have a player with real skills. Lamb, Royce.

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

do you know in some sports, such as gymnast, that the score is averaged over whatever left points given by judges after the highest and the lowest scores are removed?

you try to verify your point including a few extreme cases from picks after 10th. DD is talking about general rules for 1st round picks below 10th. according to your logic, we should trade our 1st round picks for lower picks such as the last round picks. we may find an exemption from a pool no one really cares about.

19. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Wouldn't be surprised if we keep on eye on him and trade for him on the cheap when the opportunity presents itself a la Thabeet. Hopefully with different results this time obviously.

20. Mr_Mean

Mr_Mean Member

too me he seems like he really excited but really not. Hard to know. Maybe he just seems like it was a good draft, but just so pissed he couldnt flip more assets.