1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey press conference post draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Jun 29, 2012.

1. tanviraman

tanviraman Contributing Member

Except when talking about the potential of semi-skilled white players like Vspan and Chase;)

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Daryl did a hell of a job. We are not done. really liked that we targeted Lamb and made the move to come up and get him. Just proves how much homework we do on the draft.

I also agree with Daryl that we shouldn't look at this draft night through the prisim of need. We NEEDED to get more talented; and we did. We are gonna make some trades to clear up some room, but still, players are really gonna have to fight for minutes, and i agree with Morey that that's a good thing.

Lastly i thought it was pretty awesome that we didn't trade draft picks for low-ball future draft picks. When Perry Jones is taken with the last pick in the 1st round, you know it's a deep draft. He understood the value of the players relative to what will be there next year in similar spots.

Also love the Turk/Euro stash. Always a good move.

Great job Daryl. We are finally rebuilding! Looking forward to the next move. Also looking forward to VEGAS SUMMER LEAGUE THIS YEAR. Who wants to join me?

3 people like this.
  3. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Right on.

4. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

Man Morey needs to get something done here, bc the way team is looking like right now, i dont see a team.

Lowry - Not Happy
    Martin - Not happy
    PF - scola, Donatas, 2 pat, leur, jones, white, morris,
    SF - parson, Jones, white, morris, brockman
    C - smith (who is undersize)

with this i think we should start all PF's from PG-C. hahaha.

5. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

We got Terence Jones. Second, Lowry is OBVIOUSLY better than Jameer...no question.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not people, its DD. He's always on his soapbox regarding the Rockets. I'm still mad we "David Kahned" it and got 100000x forwards instead of a center. Don't pay serious attention to him when he's like this because he tends to make Sh$t up and then not take responsibility for the stuff he says. IIRC he said the Wolves "have passed us by" and were gonna compete with OKC for best young team of the West last year.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Kevin Martin is an expiring contract with trade value. He can probably be flipped to a team like Minnesota for a future first and a couple junk contracts or he may be able to be packaged there or to Chicago for a guy like Derrick Williams or Omer Asiik. He's simply a very tradable commodity, a good baller on an expiring deal.

Lowry was being discussed in play for the #8 draft pick. If we had been willing to include Motie, along with those two "junk" draft picks, we could've gotten #5. Lowry's trade value hasn't declined in the last 12 hours. He's another asset. And don't kid yourself. You've been around long enough to know he is superior to Jameer in every respect.

Gater, you of all people should understand how the league works. If Dwight is traded (a big if since I happen to believe the most likely scenario is he stays in Orlando and buys in to their plan), he's not going to get traded to the team that he wants to go to....unless they have the best offer on the table.

So, like I said to another poster....you tell me.....what other team out there is willing to rent Dwight without him first agreeing to sign an extension with them that is willing to trade more value for him than we are? TELL ME THE TEAM.

And since you can't tell me any team, then quit saying he's not coming here. You don't know that. You're talking through your .... when you make such a statement. So, you'd better get some medicine out of the medicine cabinet.....or come up with another team that is willing to give Orlando a better rebuilding trade without a committment from Dwight to extend with them.

8. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Shinikashi may be talking about your previous post, or posts in general of late.

You're really a bummer these days. I use to look forward to your bantering but now, just negative comments....no fun. Sometimes I get it, or understand it and sometimes I'm scratching my head wondering where has the real DD gone.

Please come back, dude, happy.

9. FranchiseReDeux

I don't get why most people seem to be down on white. I think he was one of the better players in the draft - if not one of the most interesting personality and ability wise.

Additionally, Isn't he a natural 3? Again, something people are overlooking.

10. conquistador#11

Or it could be that Maury and mctalky really love what they're seeing from 'Demo'. and the line of thinking that other teams don't like maury's ass(ets) is crazy. His ass(ets) were good enough to get CPflop.

11. SacTown

SacTown Member

I think he was out of control and trying to make too many deals and other owners stopped taking him seriously. I do think that the draft picks which were made were really good picks. Lamb and White and going to be starters in a few years IMO. Morey is a good drafter but I think he just got too wound up and aggresive trying to make all those trades. Cant fault him for that but I think it bit him in the end. If he would have kept his cards close and tried the deals at the last minute during the draft he may have had more success.

DD is a gloom and doomer but he's right about one thing and that's we aren't competing for any championships soon, but then again that goes for all but 3-4 teams right now so we just fall in line. The top teams are so far ahead of all the other teams in the NBA it isn't even close. It's like the rich and poor in the american economy. Huge gap.

12. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

He's on tilt.

He'd be a really bad poker player.

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

ppl here are not freaking. we face the reality. tell me what those pieces could be. what makes you think an elite free agent may end up to play for rox? cap space? remember nowadays superstars dictate the league. they can do whatever they want and still get paid good. with the current roster, none of elite players will be attracted to rox. the best bet on what morey said is we may end up with some good players in free agent market. it makes things even worse. with those good players, we will be the best team among non playoff teams. we are going to pick #14 again. no team is willing to dump its franchise to rox for any or combination of players current on the rox roster. no one is intereste in our future 1st round picks since they are always #14.

one thing you can celebrate is morey has been making this team very consistent, winning #14 pick all the time and making those meaningless trades or signing.

14. Toothless_Texan

you are correct sir

15. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

I understand the frustration, but how can you say that morey is failing?

The fact is - the players and their agents have as much to do with the outcomes of trades and deals as guys like morey do.

Lebron going to Miami changed things. Now all the good players around the league want to cluster together... Houston's a sitting duck, still recovering from the Yao-tmac debacle and is not a free agent destination of preference right now.

All Dwight Howard has to do is say he wants to play for Houston and a deal would get done... Do you see what I mean? How is that morey's fault?

16. WNBA

WNBA Member

Morey's boss gave him all the resources to make the team better.

Morey tried everything to make the team better.

The team have not been better for 3 years.

FAILING, that's what Morey is.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

do you think dh wants to play for houston? i am so confident he will say NO. the chance is ZERO. if you or morey can't see that, you both are in delusion mode.

it IS his fault not to see that. anyone but him will go other routes to rebuild rox but he refused, is refusing, and will refuse to do that. instead, he made a few trades and signnings and made this team the best of non playoff teams in each of two years after yao left. those trades and signnings kept rox floating but barely.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't feel this team is worthy at this point, and has been wallowing for far too long without a direction.

I was happy that it felt like Morey was actually going to get something done, and then failed to do it.....

Leaving us with an unbalanced roster, and little hope at this point of getting much better.

Now clearly he is going to be trading some players - and will attach some of the young uns as sweeteners, so we shall see.

DD

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

A month ago, we were the 9th best team in the WC.

As of today, we may be even worse than that.

We're going backwards, because this draft might have been the best chance to grab a top 5 player, or trade for a legit superstar.

We didn't end with either scenario happening.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because Morey IS failing.

He is trying to execute his plan, and it is not working - what else could it be called other than failure?

When more than half the teams make the playoffs every year, and the Rox have finished out of it for the last 3, then the GM should be held accountable.

It is completely his roster, his coach, he makes the calls.....if the team is not good enough, that is on Morey.

DD