1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey press conference post draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Jun 29, 2012.

1. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

DD has it ever occurred to you that you come off as a really negative and annoying person?

3 people like this.
  2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He still cant finish the deal. His package is not that impressive to everyone. Regardless if he hit on Jeremy Lamb. LOL!

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

He clearly admits he was working towards a Dwight deal at the very end of the video. This tells me he has still not given up on the idea. Most people will groan, but that actually still somewhat excites me.

He didn't even feign as much excitement with these picks like he did with Donte Greene. To me, it seems he still has his eyes on the prize.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I also get the impression that, if you ask him now, Morey will admit that this draft was better than in previous years in terms of the picks we were picking at.

Ergo, they were offered future firsts for their picks and, in spite of our glut of players on the roster currently, they turned down those offers because they believe that each of these three players is significantly better than whoever they could have gotten next year. I tend to agree.

Lamb and Jones were top 10 rated picks on mock drafts last fall. You could argue they would have been picked higher had they declared after their freshmen years last year, although they ultimately elected to stay (the lockout probably had something to do with that). And then Royce White is the guy Morey seemed to heap the most amount of praise on to boot.

All of these guys are not like Patterson, Landry, Brooks, Budinger, etc. Starting from Marcus Morris you can plot a clear organizational change in philosophy now, to go after high ceiling guys who might bust easily also. It's clear from the press conference that our rumors about the Sacramento trade falling through were true. So that means they tried to get Drummond and failed. He would also have fit that same profile of boom or bust. That says to me that we're rebuilding although we're not outright declaring it.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

We have zero shot at Roy Hibbert. What makes anyone believe that Indy would just let him walk.

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Sure he can come off negative and annoying but after the meltdown from last night i think most of the GARM was negative and pretty damn annoying. Most of us had hopes of dwight howard. We ended up 3 first round picks and in my opinion none of them were needed.

7. thekad

thekad Member

Or that we should throw away money by locking ourselves into a slightly above average big.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Last night was a disaster. Dwight got traded to the Nets. All the FAs signed with other teams. We drafted too many PFs. We now have no way to move any players to reshape a roster.

What will we do?

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Filling the roster with bargains hasn't exactly worked thus far.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We are either trading Lamb, White, Morris, Lowry, Martin, and others for Dwight or we are going to move Scola/Lowry/Martin and perhaps a couple of the youngsters for some other premier two-way big if the Dwight deal doesn't materialize.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

That's what SHE said. :cool:

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is nothing to be positive about, in business you know what happens to the guy that tries real hard but can not execute?

He gets fired, Morey fails time and time again, but the excuses for him keep on coming. Either he can execute on his plan or he can not, and right now he has failed miserably on making significant progress.

Period.

DD

13. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

How do you even know that something will happen in free agency even? :rolleyes:

It will be the SAME old thing... "Morey looks tired... press conference... well we almost got the guy we wanted but it didn't pan out as we had hoped... Rockets fans, I'm sorry but we'll have 9 PF's this season come opening night..."

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

14. RocketFan

DD... Don't listen to him. I have been following you for awhile, the videos you have posted on what you thought of our players in the past and you sir, do NOT come off as a really negative and annoying person.

I guess you can say we're in the same boat on our thoughts on the Rockets... It's not that we are trying to think negative nor being annoying but the facts are just presenting themselves that were just keep doing the same moves OVER and OVER and OVER again, but with different names in the draft.

But, its like I said man, I would not say that you are a negative and annoying person DaDakota. Your just noticing whats been going on the LAST 3 DRAFTS, and really getting fed up with the direction Daryl Morey has been taking the Rockets in, in order to improve this team.

Keep up the good work man!

15. RocketFan

I totally agree with this... Business-type decisions have to be made to shake-up the future outlook of the Houston Rockets and I believe it starts with the higher-ups: In a nutshell, either Les and/or Morey or even coach McHale needs to go.

Even if that means we are stuck in rebuilding mode for awhile, so be it. The San Antonio Spurs had to go through that same "rebuilding" process, (after the previous year or so they had a very bad record) until they landed the #1 pick in the draft... a "PF" by the name of Tim Duncan.

16. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

How is that different from every player being an asset and them looking perpetually to trade? :grin:

17. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

it could have been worse he could have taken another forward with the 12th pick

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You've been around long enough to generally know the rules regarding trades. Even if the Magic coveted Lamb, White, or Morris (which I strongly doubt)....why on earth would they want Kevin Martin? And Lowry is arguably not an upgrade to Jameer.

Unless Howard specifically tells the Magic...and like a great many other players, he won't..."ship me to Houston", Howard is NOT coming to the Rockets.

Like I've told you before...time to visit the medicine closet for some reality pills.

I'll give the Morey Rockets credit for the willingness to rent Howard for a season and to try to swing trades to move up. But when the possibility of Steve Nash in free agency quashes someones interest in Lowry, it just might be time for some objectivity about how the 29 other teams regard the "assets" assembled by the Morey Rockets..

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I just do not believe there were not deals at Morey's disposal last night. He's too smart and works too hard on trades for that to be the case. Which brings me to my problem with Morey: he doesn't seem be willing to overpay to seal a deal. That's an issue because that's how you trade for big fish(picks or players). When you have a team like the Rockets do, you don't say no to a deal because you throw in one more replaceable part than you would like.

At some point, you just start asking teams what do you want for the pick or player, and you don't let role players or draft picks stand in the way of a deal.

20. mic

mic Contributing Member

And I'm sick of people acting like Morey is some mastermind wizard/silent assassin. Yeah, the picks we got seem promising, but how many power forwards do we really need? This was our opportunity to make a big move--Maybe not for Dwight, but to move up in the draft at least. Something COULD happen in the FA, but I'm sick of getting my hopes up. I feel like we always settle.

I will still support this team no matter what, but it's difficult not to feel deflated after last night. We collect all these assets, and to what end? I feel like Les won't ever allow us to commit to tanking and trying all our young guys out.

Too many apologists.