1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

No offense, but count again. I had to count several times until I saw them all. For some reason I kept skipping over stuff.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

The average number of back to backs this year is 17.8. The average for 4 games in 5 days is 0.9.

I don't think we have any of the latter.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hope that's nothing serious. I personally don't care if he plays in the preseason, but he better be ready for opening night.

4. bmd

bmd Member

I heard somewhere that back injuries generally take a year after surgery for your body to recover.

So even after he's cleared to play, he may still have issues with it.

I don't remember where I heard that or if it's accurate. But I thought I remembered it being from a legit source.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I just hope he's 100% for the playoffs .... The games that matter.

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I counted 20. BTW, 20!!!!!! :eek:

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

20 back to backs isnt so terrible .... from memory (which is bad) I recallthe fewest # being 15 for two teams.

What is bad is that in all 20 of those 2nd games require travel after playing the night before .... None of them are home/home.

How the hell does that happen ?! .... a few home/home situations might have made up for the sheer volume .... this just made bad worse.

8. glenadyll

This is a really great B2B analysis site with historical data. Highly recommended:

http://www.nbastuffer.com/tag/Schedule_Analysis.html

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You heard it from me. I was just making sh#t up when I said it. Backs really aren't that important to basketball....

1 person likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

-Pretty set on signings, might have a couple more.
    -(Schedule) It's just the schedule. Like the weather, not much point in getting mad. You could always have more rest days than your opponent, things like that. That fluctuates. They don't take feedback. It comes in like the weather. You hope it's nice weather.
    -You can request don't put a game here or there but they don't have to honor it. When you're a NBA building, you're a NBA building. NBA takes priority.
    -(Dwight's suspension for first game) They like our feedback on that even more than the schedule. They're really open to our thoughts on suspensions and things like that. Team feedback is really taking priority!
    -(Las Vegas get-together) James, Dwight & Terrence part of the Olympic program for USAB. Gersson Rosas is head scout for USAB. We're excited about it.
    -(How much do you want them playing in the offseason?) We like guys staying on the court. In July, we want them in a good routine, good habits coming into the season.
    -(Ty Lawson) About to see him in a couple of days. On the right path. He's very motivated for the season coming up.
    -(Sam Dekker) Good. Back to doing basketball activities. Not 100% back but back in not too long. Should be ready for training camp is my understanding.
    -(Christmas Day game) Huge turkey dinner for the 790 folks. Cranberries too? That's Thanksgiving.
    -(Daryl Morey holiday meal?) Often involves takeout Chinese food because I'm on the road. I'm not sure where I'll be.
    -(Agenda for next 30-45 days?) Off-site meetings planned with the coaches. Offseason workouts with the players are ongoing. We kick things off right before October.
    -(D-Mo) Working on it. Not fully back by start of training camp. He's diligent and feel good long term about him.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks. JR!

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

TJones haters take note. He is a part of the USA Olympics program.

Your beloved DMo isn't even considered.

13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Dmo can't play for Lithuania this summer. I know you're being in sarcastic tho.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lithuania is an inferior Olympic program anyway.

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

damn, wish they could give some insight on terry...

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

same for Harrell.

17. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

First, I misunderstood Feigen's comment. I thought he meant that all of our opponents in second halves of back to backs are also on back to backs. I looked it up and it's not even close. My bad. We got jobbed there.

Also kudos to you, we actually do not have any home-home back to back.

However, to say that all 20 involve a red eye flight is ludicrous and I think you know that. One of the b2b's is Lakers-Clippers. Another one is Kings-Clippers. Nets-Wizards. Spurs-NOLA. I could keep going.

After looking at the schedule, don't be surprised if we start making a run in late February to early March without any back to backs.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , I'm much more interested in hearing about his contract situation , mainly because it will dictate whether or not the team is hard capped or not .... Use some or all of the remaining MLE and they are hard capped , dont use any more of it and they aren't ....

They only have 13 players under contract (including Hayes) which amounts to $86.18m in salary.... Harrell & one other will be signed minimum but they have to remain below the apron should they use the rest of the MLE .... and don't have a lot of wiggle room (2.56m not including Wood's partial guarantee).
    I suspect they will add another player to a one year vet min deal and then decide what to do with Harrell .... I'm sure Morey would prefer to lock him up with a 4 year deal but that means use of some part of the remainder of the non-taxpayer MLE and being hard capped ....

They have 2.275m of that MLE remaining .... the difference between KJ's salary & the Non-taxpayer MLE of 5.464m (according to Sportrac & Coon's salary FAQ) but would not be able to use the full amount as they would be required to remain below the apron of 88.74m with an empty roster spot. Singing another player to a one year vet min deal leaves them 1.6m short of the apron. So not accounting for Wood's guarantee , the max they could pay Harrell is that 1.6m .... and be hard capped.

My guess would be that they sign him to a minimum rookie deal for two years and avoid the hard cap .... with the other option in avoiding being capped being to trade Harrel's rights for another player already under contract into the Shved TPE not utilizing more of the MLE. But if they are really high on him .... that'll be a difficult pill to swallow.

The Terry situation doesn't affect anything in terms of the cap .... He either takes the 1.49m 10+ year vet min one year offer which costs the Rockets $947k or he doesn't ....

The entire hard cap situation revolves around Harrell & the use of the MLE .... Or not.

19. glenadyll

What I meant when I said red eye was that we had to do some form of travel after the game. The exception is the LA/LA which I didn't notice. Good point.

BTW, I think our run is the beginning of the season. With our continuity this year, we could easily ride that chemistry to 16-4 or 17-3 to get going. Of course, that is unless the Kardashian effect has already kicked in.