1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fixed this one. CD was the one trotting out Matt Maloney and Kelvin Cato. Morey is the guy that plucked Dragic, Lowry, Scola, Martin, Artest and countless others to surround star players with. Easy mistake to make, no harm, glad to be of service.

1 person likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Position-less/versatile. Whatever if you really care semantics.

SAS:

4 out of their starting 5 can guard and play multiple positions. Leonard can competently defend/switch every position while mostly playing 3/4.

GSW:

3 out of 5 of that starting lineup can guard and play multiple position.

When you look at both their teams you'll find they have versatile players and can trot out different lineups.

You just throw all sorts of blame at the wall and see what sticks.

I think it's a given that there will be a shakeup in the coaching staff and front office. Morey does have a real chance of getting fired this offseason or more than likely he'll get one more window to re-tool.

So I'm not sure what accountability talk coming from an online poster will achieve. At this point, we have quite a bit of options moving forward into the off season and still can be competitive in a diluted, top heavy West.

3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

---BUMP---

Morey was interviewed by Michael Connor (sitting in for Matt Thomas) and Lance Zerlein this morning on Sports Talk 790's the Proper Gentlemen. I'd usually be listening but I was dweebin out hard to my GoT Bald Move podcast.

Reps to anyone who can transcribe or give a quick summary of what was said. I'm always curious with what Morey chooses to say and how measured he words things during these pressure cooker times for him with 48 hours until the Free Agency open season...

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Not a whole lot discussed to be honest. Morey said do not look at the money this year because of the different circumstances regarding the cap. Yes money will and has to be spent. It will be this way for two years and in three years, the team that spends wisely will be looking good.

Regarding big men, he's ok with them shooting 50% or higher because it's not as important as rebounding and playing D.

Morey did not speak of a direction or position they were seeking in FA.

I was disappointed in the overall interview.

1 person likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm surprised he didn't try and sell folks on maxing out Ryan Anderson

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did they not ask questions about those topics or did he just avoid answering them?

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sounds like he is prepping us for a positive spin when we don't sign a max player.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The 50% of higher, was that referring to FTs? If so, he is wrong.

DD

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

This. Mauri still doesn't get it if he believes that. Unless they change the hack rule, it will always cost us.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

• Morey said the MLE/LLE is irrelevant this year (and next).
    • Teams gonna spend a TON. As a fan, don't get caught up in salary #'s.
    • NBA hinted they would change/alter the hack-a rule.
    • Teams that spend wisely this year and next will be SET... three summer's from now (lulz).

2 people like this.
  11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Morey has been exposed. Not to long ago his words sounded forward thinking and interesting, now he just sounds like a delusional fool.

I'm really hoping that he proves me wrong, but I have absolutely zero faith in this guy.

12. sabesque

sabesque Member

I missed it, what did he say that was delusional in this interview

13. mightybosstone

I'm probably reading too much into this, but if he cares more about big men that can rebound and play defense, that kind of sounds to me like the antithesis of Ryan Anderson. Could this mean they are more likely to target Horford, Whiteside and other defensive oriented bigs?

14. mightybosstone

In what way, exactly?

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

LOL, IDK... I missed it too! :grin:

16. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Who r u? Does it need someone to care what u r thinking?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

IMO, there are areas he needs to adjust his thinking.

1. Valuing coaching
    2. Understanding chemistry and fit
    3. Bigs need to hit FTs.
    4. Develop players internally.

DD

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How is he wrong?

I'm not saying he is, or isn't... I'm just questioning the facts. And I'm not calling you out... I just want to know do you have any facts to support the claim that he is wrong or isn't??

Meaning, where are the facts on this? By now, we've seen A LOT of games where hack-a has had an impact. Maybe not an enormously statistically significant sample size, but a decent sample size nonetheless.

There has to be facts on this by now. What happens to each team when the hack-a strategy is employed, and how does it correlate to that FT shooters % during that hack-a time frame??

I'm not saying DM and team have this exact info... but I have to assume they have a lot more statistics on this then just "feel", and the 50% number isn't just based on a simple point per possession analysis. I would hope...

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

anything about Harden ordering the hit on Malone Jr? :grin::grin:

20. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

U r too funny. What Morey said is just maintenance of Public Relations, if he said what he will do, u shouldn't believe in it, Nobody will tell u the FA strategy