1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not sure how rigidly he adheres to this rule, but jerry west has stated that great players only come from great two parent families, and he makes his draft selections accordingly

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You've had plenty of misses but yes Kawhi is probably you're biggest miss. You missed out pretty big too on Jae Crowder

Despite you're huge misses you have a go at me for calling Dekker a certified scrub?

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I can think of certain other one who missed out on Jae, as well. Plus a mid-1st rounder to add to the pile... :grin:

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Lebron, AI. How many others? I don't pay much attention to their parentage, but this is a silly generalization IMO.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If that's true it's a bit silly - see Jimmy Butler for example. Character shows in how you deal with adversity.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

This year is an unmitigated disaster and some of the blame has to fall on the GM as we have too many role players who can't create and step up when we need points (a healthy DMo and Beasley so far notwithstanding) and that is DM's fault as he built this roster.

That said, JBB was a logical hire as you are not going to get a decent coach to take over a team when the season has already started unless you sign said coach to a multiyear deal...and Tom T didn't want to coach this year so there really were no candidates worth a multiyear deal. JBB has been terrible (though he seems like a good guy and comes off as intelligent in interviews) but there wasn't much choice.

And those "we should have known to take Kawhi Leonard", it is really easy to armchair quarterback 4 years after a draft. Please show the posts where you were stating that is who you, armchair GM, would have picked on draft day or right after it. If you did, then complain away...

1 person likes this.
  8. BigTex

BigTex Member

I still remember Kawhi beasting at Sandiego State, lead them to 34-2 record. Can't believe he dropped to 15 & Spurs got him for freaking George Hill. And then Spurs took Cory Joseph at 29 over Jimmy Butler who went 30th.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

SDSU got to the Sweet 16, too. Anyone remember that?

10. FTW Rockets FTW

I think the bigger point besides Morris over Kawhi is why hasn't Morey been able to draft an all star caliber player and retain that person beyond his rookie contract as part of the core? I don't care if he has had to pick 14 and below but over 7-8 years of drafting you'd expect at least one guy who is good enough to be signed beyond his rookie contract and potentially an all star. I'd say the closest was Parsons but that's not saying much. Other contenders and top teams have been able to find some gems later than the 14th pick (well except Cleveland)

Spurs - Kawhi, Parker etc
    GSW - Green
    OKC - Ibaka
    Chicago - Jimmy Buckets
    Clippers - Deandre Jordan

Morey is very mediocre when it comes to drafting.

1 person likes this.
  11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Uh, Joey Dorsey? Helloooooooo :grin:

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't know, man. He got Ty Lawson for what looked like nothing. Seems like he checked the box on creators, given his constraints. I'm still scratching my head on Lawson. I blame the coaches, as I have so little information to go off of.

And Thornton could create.

Seems like the ability to catch and shoot threes is a better fit for this offense than the ability to create - as long as Harden is playing 35 MPG.

13. dmoneybangbang

So there's no consolation in drafting role players who go on to stay in the league and get paid?

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

How about this Bismack kid?!!! Funny there was so much excitement about him. Isn't he on like a $2M/year bottom feeder contract now? That's why I don't get super excited about draft picks outside like the top 3. I remember everybody being up in arms cuz we didn't trade Hakeem for the #5 pick that one year to get Johnathan Bender (is my memory right?). Oooh #5 pick - this guy has to be a future HOF'er. Never did anything - even before his injury. So many busts in the NBA draft.

2 people like this.
  15. FTW Rockets FTW

How many high end role players has Morey drafted and retained long term at the Rockets? He drafts role players for other teams

16. basketballholic

Yrs. The reason is you are making the "certified scrub" assessment in light of his back injury that has kept him on ice basically the whole season. You're not making that statement in light of the draft.

As far as Jae Crowder goes, he was picked in the second round. Everybody "missed" on him. But I did think he was worthy of a second round pick. And my his far outweigh my misses. Look it up.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

I called him a scrub on draft night and a bit later too as soon as I heard we picked him and a waste of a pick. Did he have a back injury then? I clearly stated I don't see any single skill set that he possesses that would translate well at the NBA level

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't overlook the possibility that Kawhi might have faltered in a different system. Imagine him with the Kings for the last few years, for instance.

We all talk about what a great organization the Spurs have, and in Kawhi's case, he was brought along slowly by Pops until the last couple of years, when Pop started saying publicly that he needed to step up and take over the team that would one day be his. He had the luxury of playing alongside a talented bunch of guys who were the acknowledged team leaders while he got his feet wet and adapted to the level of play in the NBA. Pops didn't apply too much pressure too soon in his career, then began pushing him to excel once he reached the point where he was ready to do so. That turned out to be the perfect approach for the kid.

Who knows if he would have done the same on this Rockets team? He might be a completely different player at this point if we had drafted him.

#2478 topfive, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, everyone missed. Then he was on a roster. And traded away; 'demanded' by Ainge. Second MVP to IT in C-town; look what they've done since he went down v TheGoodGuys.

Think the trader regrets the trade?

Not all misses are on draft night.

20. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

First, don't ask me to change my tone. I had no issue with you until you started trolling me for no reason a while back. Also, you need to be called out for all of your blind Maury homerism. Second, where is your evidence that you "disagreed with Morey and Co. the most" on that decision? All I remember is your failed comparison of Marcus Morris to Corliss Williamson. You claim to criticize Daryl Maury, but you've been acting as his biggest apologist for as long as he's been here.

Are you implying that you were one of those that felt it was a bad decision at the time? If so, again, please show us some evidence of this as well.

Apply this same standard to yourself as well. If you didn't like what I had to say in the past or what I have to say now, just don't read my stuff. Don't get butt hurt when somebody gives you a little taste of your own medicine.

#2480 Kwame, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016