1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

+coach

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

LOL true. Scotty Brooks, come on down!

Maybe clutchfans would get their wet dream and ole Scotty boy would hire Mario Elie as an assistant.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

the approach is logical and even the dmo move makes sense, but until durant actually commits this fanbase will be three mile island.

Dont even think about if he doesn't sign...

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I mean I don't believe for a second he will sign, but that doesn't mean I don't get where Darrell is coming from.

It's a great pitch.

The problem is going to be that some other situation will be just as attractive to him or more glitzy or his wife will want to sing in their clubs or something like that.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Where have I heard this before?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Probably from me, been right about him for years.

DD

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Clutchfans logic:

"Moarey is stoopid and we won't win with him. We need new great coach. Always chasing stars instead of building chemistry"

Fast forward and rockets sign thibs to coach and sign Conley and another top player but miss on Durant.

"Maori is dumb, Harden kills all PGs and thibs has bad offense. Harden won't respond we need a players coach. He can never get the big names, struck out on Durant again. We need to fire morley"

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You are acting like the serious back injury that ended D-Mo's season last year and that has prevented him from playing in more than a handful of games this year is not a factor in this. Don't be so thick.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

He does make one good point that is a slight positive. We are now basically sitting with the same team that reached the Western Conference Finals with a better first round pick and Ty instead of Pablo.

10. thekad

thekad Member

The only hope now is to make an impossible run to the 5th seed, upset the Clippers, and sell Durant on that, Harden and picking a coach. Otherwise, it does look like this era is over. Realistically, Harden will be on the block a year and a half from now.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Its ironic, but I have to reply with just this.

How can you be so stupid? Instead of speculating, maybe you should cite past actions and statements made. The fact that you actually believe the man who doesn't believe coaching matters, is going to sign thibs, shows how this isn't even about the rockets anymore. Its about your blind infatuation for Morey, a guy who came here after most of us had already been following this team.

The idea that pitching all in, ignoring contributing role players, anything and everything for the pipedream of signing Durant is even being considered shows that all rational thought has been abandoned. The guy that has been with his team for close to a decade and is at the 3rd seed is not going to come to an organization that is currently becoming a laughing stock and on pace to make a Springer appearance. Then when the notion of Harden leaving for LA comes up, its---its the complete opposite. Morey is a smart guy, just not to the same degree when it comes to basketball. Intelligence seems to be lacking in his blind homers, as they seem to be fascinated with anything above their own reasoning or comprehension skills---actually common sense at this point. Then we hear the sarcastic narrative of how people think Morey is stupid in a very contradictory fashion---(you could pull Morey's own quotes to shoot down the beginning of their discussion) and how he ended up trading for "x" and did this (while simultaneously ignoring the loss over a longer period of time--go look at the drafting thread).

Again, you can put it in cute little words to show your sarcasm, but none of it changes the fact that you are flat out wrong. Its downright embarrassing and you should have to wear a hat around showing you have no sense of context, rational thought, or reality. Its baffling, but if the LOFs served one purpose, its that people will suck on the teet or stand freely as toilet paper rolls all over the fandom for a specific person. Maybe 2012 posters have a predisposition to it.

12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

SPOT ON!!!!!!!!

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Oh I completely understand that dmo's injury is a major factor for trading him . But for him to say that we still have a great chance to compete becuase it's the same group is a lie because it's not the same group . The guy who played
    The third most minutes in that group had been hurt and has now been traded . A lot of the hope we had going forward this year was becuase we expected to get that guy back post all star break . The fact that we got nothing to help us this year and at the same time he goes onto the radio and sugar coats our position pisses me off .

I understand all gms and players are usually somewhat less than honest , but the rockets in particular have been atrocious at letting people know what's up . If dmo's back injury was so bad , as fans we should expect some official word . Same thing happened last season when he was out for "rest" then needed surgery.

14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I was more or less talking badly about members of the board not defending morey but none the less I'll bite.

Let's look at the biggest "knock" against morey. High turnover. Doesn't care about chemistry. Doesn't develop talent.

"Morey always flips players. Never keeps them. Chemistry is important."

Well last year we exceeded everyone's expectations and had an amazing run. So what does morey do? Keeps practically the 'Entire' team together. We lost Josh Smith only because he chose elsewhere for less money.

"I can't believe we signed scrub Beverley and sewer brewer to such horrible contracts."

Morey gets Smith back for free practically hoping to fix who knows what in the locker room.

"We should have never let him go in the first place."

LPH I don't have much dialogue with you and sure I get it your likely upset like the rest of us about the season but to blame morey is a little off base.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Before I say anything, I just read my post and realized it was a bit harsh, someone that responds in a respectful and thoughtful manner should receive a response in the same exact way (lot of blind homers today, and I confused you for someone else). I get what you're trying to say, but it doesn't really vindicate Morey (and that is just one instance). To be brutally honest, I would rather Morey go all the way with his approach (which I disagree with) than half ass it. The lawson trade I will never blame him for, any GM would have pulled that trigger, nobody could have known that this would happen. Sitting pat this summer, that could also be excused. What can't however, is sitting with Mchale all this time so he could have more of a say and letting the pickup ball no discipline mentality bleed into our players. I don't know if we'll ever be able to make it out of that. Mchale is not a good coach, I don't think anybody would disagree with that. Morey chose him as the personnel. Morey chose him so he could have more of a say in the rocket's offense , all the while not finding the players to fit it (how can you have the most 3pt centric offense in NBA history and not have good shooters?). This team as constructed is what you get when you give one man the reigns to do whatever he wants and build a team as he wishes (over a period of 5 years). I like his analytic approach, but just like with not signing competent 3pt shooters, he abandons it when FA hits. Melo is not a very efficient player. We chose to cater to him over Lowry. The w**** big 3 or bust is not an analytical approach. Neither is putting all your eggs in one basket for Bosh, and now Durant (who has close to a zero % chance of coming here). He doesn't get any brownie points valuing chemistry one summer, or disregarding player efficiency and going for the bigger name in another instance. His job is to do what it takes for the best possible outcome. He's thrown three consecutive 14th picks away (by unloading them for a 2nd rounders, some of which he used to unload contracts). There are just too many mistakes to gloss over. It doesn't matter if I have the best looking engine (made out of cardboard ), which is the talent he accumulated, it has to at least be able to get to the finish line. Talent doesn't equal results, and that not working is on him since the other variables that play into it not working are a direct consequence of him as well. This post isn't organized as well because I'm in a hurry, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying.

1 person likes this.
  16. seeingred

seeingred Member

1) If we lose to the Clipper's in the 2nd round last year, I think McHale gets the ax in the off season. But as it is, it's tough to fire a coach who just took you to the WCFs. With McHale and Blatt being fired this year, the climate has changed. But we're lucky McHale was fired mid-season... a lot of GMs would've ridden it out.

2) I just flat out disagree that our record is on Morey. A lineup of Lawson, Harden, Ariza, Jones, and Howard should be a deep playoff team. It's why almost every sportswriter in America picked us to make a deep run. It sucks we don't have a good coach but, unfortunately for the NBA, there are only a handful of good coaches out there. I would bet my house Morey goes out and gets an established defensive minded coach next season. He undervalued coaching and over valued talent - that's clear. He'll attempt to correct that. JVG and Thibs will both get long looks.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If Harden didn't get fat we'd be better than last year.

Morey isn't a personal trainer and in-home sous chef

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But he is the guy paying a FLAWED FAUX superstar max money.

DD

19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

How can you explain other players also playing like garbage?

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

two max contracts? huh..
    "plz join us. we got joel anthony, two time nba champ. kj mcdaniels, excellent bench warmer, your butts will never be cold. james harden, THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WHOLE WIDE WOOOORLD! beverley, technically still the most skilled player in the league according to taco bell since he didnt get a chance to defend his title, and of course dwight howard, the very best center they is. so what do you say durant, you wanan hop on over to htown show these--hello? hello, you there? durant, i cant hear you, DURANT NOOOOOOOOOO"