1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

RIGHT?! The amount of moving screens they get away with blows my mind. If They officiated the Warriors bigs like they officiate Dwight, Bogut & Co. would foul out of every single game.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

You can't fire Morey unless you find someone better to take over, and anyone better is currently employed. Firing him out of spite would be a big mistake.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's crazy that the Harden deal went from making him a hometown hero to a move that will possibly cost him his job (if you subscribe to the Harden is a cancer theory).

Bring in a future top 5 player for practically nothing, get fired because the guy infected an entire franchise with apathy.

1 person likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

I have no idea but I'm not suggesting to fire morey so I can cut off my nose to spite my face. You don't even know other options, let's be honest here....

If we don't make the playoffs it's on the players. They haven't come together and played like a team and given consistent effort.

Morey has had enough time? Let's not pretend this was one continuous team as there are distinct eras: Yao and Tracy, the 14th pick years, and the Harden years. I prefer context.

How many teams different teams have won a championship since 2000? This isn't like football

5. jogo

jogo Member

I don't think JB leaves before the summer. Therefore, we have no quick fix here. Accept this is who we are and hope that we improve enough to get the 5 seed. It's possible.

Firing Morey because we haven't won a championship is silly. Do people not remember we were in the WCF last year? We hadn't made it there in 19 years. The reason we're not back there this year is because of Morey??? And as others have said-who do we get who is better?

Some have noted that Morey got us a WCF team with an injured McGrady and Yao without tanking. People seem to think it's as simple as "trade Howard" or "Harden is the root of our problems." If either of those players leave and we don't get someone back who is just as valuable then get ready to miss the playoffs year after year. Howard is our defense, he does erase other players mistakes. When he doesn't play our rim defense is non-existent. His offense has slipped a lot but defensively he is still really good. Don't get me started on trading Harden. He's at least a top 10 player and if he bounces back next year he's top 5. You don't trade those players unless you want to tank.

And maybe some of these "fans" think they want to tank. There are "fans" who will say they'd rather have a bunch of D-leaguers who play with heart than this squad. I don't think they remember how much it sucks to miss the playoffs year after year.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are missing the best years. Yao-Shane-Scola-Artest, post McGrady.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is what I've been thinking too. Of course, it all depends on how Harden turns out.

I still can't figure out what he really is. He does exude apathy sometimes (maybe too many times) as the whole team does, and not just this season, but ever since he joined the team. I really can't put my finger on it. There are other great offensive players who are terrible defenders. But few of them give people the impression that he just doesn't care. Even McGrady, with his sleepy eyes didn't look apathetic until late in his career after he already declined physically.

That said, I have not lost all faith in Harden. Sure I wished we had a better character guy as our franchise player. But those players don't come easily. I still hope there is a fire in him.

8. sabesque

sabesque Member

Just because you don't like how the last 5 months have gone does not mean that the next RC Buford or Bob Meyers is out there unemployed and 100% ready to go day 1 without a learning curve.

9. Raven

Raven Member

No team or system can survive their franchise player mailing it in. This is not on Morey. Give Harden the Summer to get his head straight, but trade him at the 2017 deadline if his effort doesn't improve next season.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The subscribers to this theory, and its associated newsletter, consist of internet couch GM's, localized almost exclusively on the BBS - unfortunately for Morey and the Rockets, none of them are curent NBA GM's. :(

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Stop being so stupid on the internet. Take a break.

1 person likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - people disagreeing calling others stupid is stupid.

DD

13. newAge_Rockets

Morey better accept that his philosophy is flawed. He needs to hire a real head coach and staff then step away from how the team runs offense and defense.

Bring back the mid range, implement more motion or PnR and less iso. Acquire players suitable to said offense and defesne strategies, no longer just acquire talent for the sake of adding talent (for example trying to turn Brew and Smith into 3 point gunners)

NO MORE PUPPETS FOR HEAD COACH

2 people like this.
  14. DaDakota

****ING A!

DD

15. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

Completely agree. That being said, Morey has to buy in to whatever style the head coach wants to run, so that he is able to acquire the right talent. But the use of Brewer, Lawson, Smith and Jones (not playing to their strengths) is absurd.

16. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Look at the garbage team the GM you worship has assembled with his "Mauryball." You and your boy Maury thought this team was going to compete for a championship after a fluke WCF appearance, but they're barely competing for an 8th seed in the NBA playoffs where more than half the teams in the league make the post-season. No wonder you saved yourself the embarrassment and never released your predictions for the season like you said you would last year.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It isn't Moreys fault that certain players don't care

18. DaDakota

Yes it is.....he enabled them with weak coaching and an organization that doesn't hold them to a higher standard of effort.

DD

19. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

"Coaching doesn't matter" ---Morey

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morey is 100% on the hot seat. Les is pretty ruthless, and impatient. He called for a premature McHale firing and may very well call for a Morey firing in a few days...