1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey is so overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Feb 23, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's no one who says that, obviously because people who like what Morey has done are rational and objective human beings, you have to because you like numbers, analytics and other statistics which are grounded on facts not opinions.

On the other hand we have numbnuts who want Morey fired because somehow it's his fault the Rockets have not won a playoff series over the last 10 years, because even if he's only been on the job for only 8 years it's still his fault the Rockets haven't found playoff success even before he got hired. This is when you know you are dealing with either people who are trolling you (CH) or people who don't do enough research, just look up how many years the Rockets haven't won a playoff series and then put all the blame on Morey even though he hadn't been hired yet.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The team didn't feel like Canaan was a difference maker and they saw an opportunity to trade him for someone (KJ) that they think can be in the future. They got Prig to help with the backup PG duties.

Clearly Morey doesn't think Beverly is the answer at PG as demonstrated by his attempts to upgrade with Lowry, Dragic and then maybe Lawson or Jack depending on what rumors you believe.

3. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

we should have given cannan more chances to prove his worth, but we didn't give him up for nothing. KJ has loads of potential.

4. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

I don't want to argue on Canaan's defense anymore because I think you're clearly biased.

Yes, Terry's defensive effort has been better than expected. But let's not forget he's 38 years old. Relying on a 38-year-old to guard other WC point guard is unrealistic. I would take my chance with Canaan all day.

It's funny you think Canaan is not a good finisher at rim but completely ignore the fact that Terry and Prigioni never drives to the basket. I mean come on, Canaan can't be worse than them on the offensive end.

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

I never said they could.
    If we're playing that game, do you seriously think Cannaan would of been able to?

6. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

KJ will be a free agent in the summer. And we're in win-now mode.

7. justtxyank

It isn't about whether Canaan can be as good as Terry or Prigioni. It's about whether he helps you more than KJ will in the future.

If you think Canaan could move the needle this year and be the difference between 1st/2nd rd exit and a title, then by all means, this was a terrible terrible trade. If not, then the question becomes "Who can contribute more to a possible Rockets championship; Canaan or KJ?" If you think the answer is KJ, then the GM made the right move.

8. HTM

HTM Member

at least 20 franchises would take Morey off our hands in a heart beat.... those who want rid of him don't know what they are talking about.

9. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

He's much younger and faster. Also a better offensive player than Terry and Prigioni.

10. justtxyank

A restricted free agent with so little game time that it's hard to imagine a team blowing him up with a big offer.

11. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

Canaan deserves better are you really getting mad that McHale was ruining this kids basketball career? You need a reality check

12. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

1) We're in win-now mode. Should've never trade away an insurance in the point guard position. Now if Bev gets hurt we're ****ing screwed.

2) KJ is a free agent this summer, there's no guarantee he would remain on team. We would probably have to use part of the MLE in order to re-sign him. If we end up using the MLE to re-sign Josh Smith, we would have no choice but to give up KJ.

13. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Not sure what you are saying here, but you believe Morey doesnt care about winning a championship and only cares about his public image (per the public pole). So im pretty sure which side of the fense you are on.

14. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

Nobody thought Dallas would give Parsons the max

15. hakeemthagreat

You mean results? I think that's a pretty safe indicator to judge success by

16. justtxyank

The difference between Canaan and Prigioni in that case is very small. Despite everyone saying Prigioni sucks, all the stats say otherwise.

Man! If only Morey had known about this wrinkle in the CBA BEFORE he traded for KJ! Now we're screwed! Stupid Murray!

Hint: Morey was aware of this. I think it's already well established between Morey and Smith's agent what is going to happen in free agency this offseason. Personally I don't think there is any chance Smith gets the full MLE.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, you think I'm biased, I think you haven't watched enough to have an informed, intelligent opinion on the subject. We'll leave it there.

I trust Terry over Canaan every day of the week and twice on game day. Relying on vets that have done it before is MUCH better than relying on someone who would still be in the D league if the Sixers weren't actively trying to suck as much as possible.

Anyone who says "X can't be worse" is wrong no matter what the case. Canaan can, and on occasion has been worse. He's a streak shooting super short SG that has to pretend to be a PG because he's not big enough to play the role he's best suited for that is an easy block waiting to happen every time he takes the ball inside that provides nothing on defense and isn't a competent or willing passer. Honestly very few will remember his name 5 years from now.

18. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

So every team that hasnt had significant playoff success in the past 10 years need to fire their GM?

19. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I think Morey did well to get rid of Lin....there were not many takers on that one.

20. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

But........ it did pay off. And he kept us competitive/not complete garbage while doing it. You would rather be the Sixers the past 2 years? I will take having the MVP and being 20 games over .500.